The cost of digital flash units!

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 14, 2005 6:56:35 PM

The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
$700 Can. What ever happened to the days
when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
283/285 that cost about $100/ea??
-Rich
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:56:36 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:56:35 -0500, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
>$700 Can. What ever happened to the days
>when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
>283/285 that cost about $100/ea??

I'm using a SunPak 383 with great sucess on my FZ20, it
cost only about $70 USD.
January 14, 2005 8:28:25 PM

In article <b5hgu010c1k24gle16j5h6r5ar4frp5pjq@4ax.com>, drk_gently@yahoo.com
says...
> 'm using a SunPak 383 with great sucess on my FZ20, it
> cost only about $70 USD.

I always held the opinion that Quantaray units were junk until I had the
oportunity to use the Sunpak Q383.

Guide number of 100 and it really means it!

I think I paid $89 (US) for it, and Im going to buy a second one.

I find it to be a terrific bargain and I use it regularly.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:28:25 -0500, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:
>In article <b5hgu010c1k24gle16j5h6r5ar4frp5pjq@4ax.com>, drk_gently@yahoo.com
>says...
>> 'm using a SunPak 383 with great sucess on my FZ20, it
>> cost only about $70 USD.
>>

>I always held the opinion that Quantaray units were junk until I had the
>oportunity to use the Sunpak Q383.

Is Sunpak and Quantaray the same company?
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:28:27 PM

"Dirk Gently" <drk_gently@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:28:25 -0500, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>
> wrote:
>>In article <b5hgu010c1k24gle16j5h6r5ar4frp5pjq@4ax.com>,
>>drk_gently@yahoo.com
>>says...
>>> 'm using a SunPak 383 with great sucess on my FZ20, it
>>> cost only about $70 USD.
>>>

>>I always held the opinion that Quantaray units were junk until I had the
>>oportunity to use the Sunpak Q383.
>
> Is Sunpak and Quantaray the same company?

Quantaray is the house brand of Ritz Photo. Sunpak is a manufacturer of
flashes, and pretty well respected.
January 14, 2005 10:20:08 PM

In article <3bZFd.555$ru.15@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net says...
> "Dirk Gently" <drk_gently@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:28:25 -0500, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>
> > wrote:
> >>In article <b5hgu010c1k24gle16j5h6r5ar4frp5pjq@4ax.com>,
> >>drk_gently@yahoo.com
> >>says...
> >>>

> >>I always held the opinion that Quantaray units were junk until I had the
> >>oportunity to use the Sunpak Q383.
> >
> > Is Sunpak and Quantaray the same company?
> >
> Quantaray is the house brand of Ritz Photo. Sunpak is a manufacturer of
> flashes, and pretty well respected.

At the time I bought the one I have it was listed as:

Quantaray/Sunpak Q838.

It does NOT, however, have the word "Sunpak" anywhere on it.

Thats really all I know about it other than the fact that it seems to do the
job.

For what I paid for it ($89 US), if it quit working tomorrow it owes me
nothing (over 2000 shots with it), and I would buy another in a NY minute.

I already plan on picking up a second unit on Monday.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <3bZFd.555$ru.15@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net says...
> "Dirk Gently" <drk_gently@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:28:25 -0500, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>
> > wrote:
> >>In article <b5hgu010c1k24gle16j5h6r5ar4frp5pjq@4ax.com>,
> >>drk_gently@yahoo.com
> >>says...
> >>>

> >>I always held the opinion that Quantaray units were junk until I had the
> >>oportunity to use the Sunpak Q383.
> >
> > Is Sunpak and Quantaray the same company?
> >
> Quantaray is the house brand of Ritz Photo. Sunpak is a manufacturer of
> flashes, and pretty well respected.

I just had a look at the "SUNPAK" 383, and it seems identical to the unit I
have except for the name on the case.

Internals look the same, switches, settings, adjustments are the same.. I'de
guess The Quantaray Q838 is made in the same factory, though I cant prove it.

As I said, I always thought Quantaray was JUNK 'till I used (then bought) the
Q383.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> In article <3bZFd.555$ru.15@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net says...
>> "Dirk Gently" <drk_gently@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:28:25 -0500, Larry
>> > <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>

>> > Is Sunpak and Quantaray the same company?
>> >
>> Quantaray is the house brand of Ritz Photo. Sunpak is a manufacturer of
>> flashes, and pretty well respected.
>>

> I just had a look at the "SUNPAK" 383, and it seems identical to the unit
> have except for the name on the case.
>
> Internals look the same, switches, settings, adjustments are the same..
> I'de
> guess The Quantaray Q838 is made in the same factory, though I cant prove
> it.
>
> As I said, I always thought Quantaray was JUNK 'till I used (then bought)
> the
> Q383.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

Well, since all Quantaray/Ritz does is market what they get from others, I
guess they have to hit on a good one every once in a while...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

In article <mEZFd.556$ru.166@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net says...
> Well, since all Quantaray/Ritz does is market what they get from others, I
> guess they have to hit on a good one every once in a while...
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Kinda' what I figured... Like I said, I USED one BEFORE I bought one. I
couldn't believe how well it worked, and I bought one. (I have thown away
several Quantaray flashes that were given to me, so I dont have any love for
that brand).

Now I'll buy another so I dont have to mount/re-mount when I change cameras
in the middle of something.

I cant speak for how its "auto" modes work(it has 3 auto modes), as Ive never
used them, only the fully manual mode, but since I always use the camera in
Manual when using flash, it hasnt been an issue.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

RichA <none@none.com> writes:

> The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
> $700 Can. What ever happened to the days
> when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
> 283/285 that cost about $100/ea??

Well you can still use the Vivitars. They work the same way they did in the
film world (ie, somewhat limited, but generally usuable). Also, the FL-36
should be shipping now, and is somewhat cheaper than the FL-50. Promaster
might be an alternative, though they only sell in the states.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

> The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
> $700 Can. What ever happened to the days
> when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
> 283/285 that cost about $100/ea??
> -Rich

They went the same way as the day of the $200 SLR.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 9:29:39 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:27:38 -0800, "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
>> $700 Can. What ever happened to the days
>> when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
>> 283/285 that cost about $100/ea??
>> -Rich
>
>They went the same way as the day of the $200 SLR.

Those I remember. Pentax K-1000, Canon T-70.
-Rich
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:17:41 AM

> The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
> $700 Can. What ever happened to the days
> when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
> 283/285 that cost about $100/ea??
> -Rich

Use the Sunpack 433 D or 422 D (for OM), you can get it for $60 on Ebay.
Or the Vivitar 285, same price.

In my experience, TTL on digital isn't no where near as good as it is on a
35mm camera, so a thryristor is just about as good, and you gain one stop
on the X sync speed (can sync at 1/320 on a third party flash).

Patrick
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:28:08 AM

On 14 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, RichA wrote:

> What ever happened to the days
> when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
> 283/285 that cost about $100/ea??

Well, figuring that was 1975, and using a 3% rate of general inflation
over that period, your 1975 $100 is roughly $240 in 2005 dollars...

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

In article <z56dnRnTRP3ew3TcRVn-iA@comcast.com>, you@wish.com says...

> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > The Olympus flash for the E1 is around
> > $700 Can. What ever happened to the days
> > when the average SLR user used a Vivitar
> > 283/285 that cost about $100/ea??
> > -Rich
>

> Use the Sunpack 433 D or 422 D (for OM), you can get it for $60 on Ebay.
> Or the Vivitar 285, same price.
>

> In my experience, TTL on digital isn't no where near as good as it is on a
> 35mm camera, so a thryristor is just about as good, and you gain one stop
> on the X sync speed (can sync at 1/320 on a third party flash).
>

> Patrick

I picked up another Quantaray Q383 today (actually the wife did while I was
working).

Verified: The Quantaray Q383 IS a Sunpak 383, thats probably why it works so
well.

The paperwork that comes with the flash unit has SUNPAK printed all over it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

RichA wrote:

>>They went the same way as the day of the $200 SLR.
>>
> Those I remember. Pentax K-1000, Canon T-70.

I miss my little Minolta X-700 with Tamron 70-210 one-touch zoom... *sigh*
!