Sign in with
Your question

Will This Graphics Card Work On This Motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 6:57:44 AM

Hey guys. To begin this is my first post to Toms Hardware and im happy to join. Sorry if this is the wrong category.

Ok so here is my question. Im looking to upgrade my graphics card on my computer. and im wondering if my mother board will be able to use it.

Mother Board - http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/pegatron-2ac2-corporati...

Graphics Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For my power supply i have a 600 watt so i dont think that would be a problem and for my processor i have a i5 2400k 3.1 Ghz.

The reason why im so unsure of it would work is because the graphics card is a 3.0 Pci-e and my mobo is a pcie 2.0
but i read that they worked backwards compatible but from others they said they dont work so im unsure to even try it because i cant waste money and i dont want to bother with returning. if i need a new mobo please tell me a good priced one. Thanks for reading and i appreciate everyone who replies. :) 
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2012 9:19:40 AM

Hi.
It should work perfectly.
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:47:47 AM

Thanks. i just needed the heads up to know it was good
m
l
Related resources
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 1:02:12 AM

It should work, but what power supply do you have exactly? I just want to be sure that people aren't running stuff that might explode you know.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 6:38:03 PM

Damn, for some reason I expected it to be a TR2. They aren't the best power supplies there are. If I can remember, they can supply 384W to the 12V rails. The 7970 uses 280W on full load.

As long as you don't push full load for a long time, you should be fine with that card. Just, don't buy Thermaltake power supplies again.
m
l
September 3, 2012 6:54:21 PM

Just so you know, It doesn't matter what PCI-E version the card says it is, doesn't have anything to do with the compatibility. You can run an HD7970 and a PCI-E 1.0 at 4X, it will work but performance will take a huge hit!
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 10:51:43 PM

UnlimitedBanana said:
Just so you know, It doesn't matter what PCI-E version the card says it is, doesn't have anything to do with the compatibility. You can run an HD7970 and a PCI-E 1.0 at 4X, it will work but performance will take a huge hit!

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-cont...

Just so you know.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 6:41:43 AM

You could upgrade the power supply yes, but maybe I would recommend a lower powered card just to be safe.
m
l
September 4, 2012 7:09:23 AM

Deemo13 said:
You could upgrade the power supply yes, but maybe I would recommend a lower powered card just to be safe.
So its either buy a new psu (Which i can do) or Get a lower end Graphics Card. (Which i dont really want to do) Explain more please
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 8:13:36 AM

PicoriWarrior said:
Would it be safe to upgrade the power supply.
and would my graphics card take a performance hit?

After reading reviews maybe better to change the psu indeed, bah.

You can change the psu yourself ; i did it and succeeded and i'm not very technical. Don't do it like i did, without doing some reading first and you'll be fine.

Do you mean that with the new psu the gpu works faster ? No, no difference, only safer.
m
l
September 4, 2012 6:17:54 PM

IT GOING TO WORK BUT BECAUSE UR MOTHERBOARD IS PCI E 2.0 AND GRAPHIC CARD IS 3.0 PCI E U ARE NOT GOING TO GET THE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE FROM THE CARD. SECONDLY TRY TO UPGRADE UR PSU TO 700W OR MORE.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 6:24:38 PM

adjboats said:
IT GOING TO WORK BUT BECAUSE UR MOTHERBOARD IS PCI E 2.0 AND GRAPHIC CARD IS 3.0 PCI E U ARE NOT GOING TO GET THE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE FROM THE CARD. SECONDLY TRY TO UPGRADE UR PSU TO 700W OR MORE.

1) The 7970 is not able to saturate all of the lanes of PCI-Ex16, so he will not see any performance drop if he is running a PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0.

2) 700W or more is not what he needs. What he needs is a GOOD power supply. Sure he can get something with 700W, but I'd rather have an 80+ certified 650W over a 700W non-certified.

3) Forum rules:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

"Don't...
Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!"
m
l
September 5, 2012 3:47:03 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
After reading reviews maybe better to change the psu indeed, bah.

You can change the psu yourself ; i did it and succeeded and i'm not very technical. Don't do it like i did, without doing some reading first and you'll be fine.

Do you mean that with the new psu the gpu works faster ? No, no difference, only safer.

ok, yea thats how i put my 600 watt psu in. Can you recommend me a Power supply i can get thats like 650 watts or 700 watts. If you do that will make it easier for me so if i get a new psu ill be good for a 7970. If so thanks
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 1:01:39 PM

Yes sir.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 3:52:51 PM

Both of those are great. I have the first one in the 520W version and it works fine.

It doesn't come with a power cable though. I'm assuming you have one though in your current computer.
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:15:54 AM

Ok im probably going to upgrade all of that in a few months. Ill be back asking the question if any new graphics card came. You guys really helped a'lot and i didn't expect that much help
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 10:42:58 AM

Your welcome. :) 
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 6:23:33 PM

No prob!