Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Nvidia GTX 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 7:32:53 AM

Hello, I'm looking to do some upgrading in my computer I got last Christmas. With no bills to pay as I am only a kid I have saved a lot of money. (About 1300 actually) And something I really want is a triple monitor setup where the game plays at a resolution of 6000x1080 or whatever it is. I'm looking at the GTX 680 for this. I like how easy Nvidia drivers are to update and I don't really want an SLI or crossfire setup. I've never touched a computers insides and it seems to difficult. So my question for all of you experts is; will a single GTX 680 be able to run modern games (ex: borderlands 2, BF3, crysis 2, skyrim) across 3 monitors at crazy resolutions while maintaining 30 fps+ on high detailed graphics?

Here are some I've been looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm worried these cards will run way too hot and over heat. I mean look at them Beastly things! So really if this is possible could someone just pick a card for me in that $500-650 price range and explain to me why that one over the others. (Also if you could be so kind as to pick me out a power supply for it. As cheap as possible without giving up too much quality, I know they are important)

Thank you all so much even if you just read this and don't answer, you guys rock!

(Also would my i5-2500k not overclocked and 8gb ram bottleneck it? I've been looking into overclocking)

motherboard - Asus P8P67
CPU - i5-2500k
Graphics card - gtx 550 ti
Powersupply - Corsair CX500
and my ram is this red ripjaw stuff with big bumps on the top :D 

More about : nvidia gtx 680

Best solution

a c 362 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 8:22:19 AM

You should be able to get at least 30FPS on average. That means your FPS can actually fall below 30FPS sometimes. I have no idea about Borderland 2 though. See following for benchmarks with graphic settings to ultra:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...

Related resources
September 2, 2012 1:19:32 PM

thank uou guys for your input
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:23:38 PM

Don't waste your money on a 4GB version of the card unless you plan to go SLI... a single card will run out of power long before it needs more than 2GB vram.

Just get yourself a 2GB 680 or even consider the 7970, which would offer the same performance for less $$$ at triple-screen resolution.
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:14:25 PM

thank you so any gtx 680 2gb card? also what is a good power supply for these cards i heard they dont need a lot
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:35:32 PM

At least for the next 12 months, the GTX 680 will be able to handle any game on max setting.

By the way, what is your source of income if you are just a kid?
m
l
September 2, 2012 3:13:41 PM

Well my job but I don't pay any bills so I just save up. I get like 100+ a week I work at outback steakhouse as a busboy/host.

But I'm talking about 5700x1080 resolution or whatever it is for 3 monitor at max settings. 3 monitors isn't enough for me I want it to looks nice too. 30fps is completely playable for me. But I'm really confused as to which card I should get. EVGA FTW+ 2gb? GALAXY? EVGA superclocked? One things is for sure though, I want the card factory overclocked to help pump out these intense resolutions/graphics.
m
l
September 2, 2012 3:20:33 PM

jaguarskx said:
You should be able to get at least 30FPS on average. That means your FPS can actually fall below 30FPS sometimes. I have no idea about Borderland 2 though. See following for benchmarks with graphic settings to ultra:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/bf3_5760_1080.gif

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/crysis2_5760_1080.gif

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/skyrim_5760_1080.gif

Is the GTX 680 in those charts overclocked? If it was would the FPS be higher?
m
l
a c 362 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 3:32:17 PM

GTX 680 with stock speed. However, the CPU is an i7-3770k @ 4.7GHz. Crysis 2 doesn't really care how fast the CPU is as long as it is not slow enough to limit the GPU. Skyrim is one of those games who's performance depends on both a fast CPU and GPU. I have not idea how dependent Battlefield 3 is on the CPU.

Generally speaking, overclocking the GPU will increase frame rates. Since the benchmarks are based on "ultra" settings, lowering the graphic settings to "high" should give you better performance.
m
l
September 2, 2012 3:39:58 PM

You can find a lot of 680's with a "factory overclock" for round $20 more, or less with deals and rebates.

Keep in mind, that 680's dont have much heard room when overclocking vs a 7970, but its already faster, so for a 7970 to catch up, you have to OC more.

3 monitors is going to be tough on any single card to play new games on max. like someone said before, 30fps avg means sometimes it can be much lower. 30fps is ok if its constant, but it could get down to 15fps, and look like a slide show. If you turn down the detail, you can solve a lot of the problems.

if you are really looking to run 3 1080 monitors, you really should look into doing a SLI/CF setup, but then you get into microstutter and cost.

you could consider getting 2 670's or 2 7970's and run everything a lot smoother.

2 - 670's aprox $780
2 - 7970's aprox $810
2 - 680's aprox $960

You could always get one, wait for deals and get a second later if there is a price drop.
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:01:58 PM

ok thank you everyone so much enjoy the rest of your days
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:19:30 PM

jaguarskx said:
GTX 680 with stock speed. However, the CPU is an i7-3770k @ 4.7GHz. Crysis 2 doesn't really care how fast the CPU is as long as it is not slow enough to limit the GPU. Skyrim is one of those games who's performance depends on both a fast CPU and GPU. I have not idea how dependent Battlefield 3 is on the CPU.

Generally speaking, overclocking the GPU will increase frame rates. Since the benchmarks are based on "ultra" settings, lowering the graphic settings to "high" should give you better performance.

Actually one more question before I go. What speed should my CPU be at to not bottle neck this card? right now it's at 3.3GHZ should i use the turbo option it has to get 3.8ghz or 3.7 whatever it is. Or overclock to 4ghz or something else high but easily achievable for this cpu? I've been looking at the coolermaster hyper 212 in preparations to touching my cpus clock speed.
THanks again man
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:54:07 PM

Quote:
portrait mode increases resolution on everything while landscape mode increases visibility area-I prefer portrait

It's honestly more for the braggings rights I'm going to have my triple monitor setup and my TV mounted above it will look like:

[ ]

[ ][ ][ ]

Know what I'm saying? I think it looks much cooler with 3 than one. I have the money so why not you know? I just would like to play on higher quality while being on 3 monitors.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:16:47 PM

Your cpu will be Intel, and thus an OC of 4-4.5 can be easily done. Bump the multiplier to X40 - X45 which is a 25% oc. You must obviously get a cpu that is unlocked, which is an I5 or higher and a motherboard that allows you to overclock.

Your Cpu will usually not be the bottleneck of a system. Most FPS are lite on the cpu, but will use more when doing multiplayer. Games like Civ or MMOs will use a bit more cpu, but if you bump the oc to 4.0Ghz you will be fine.

Also, i can respect the triple monitor, but make sure to get quality monitors with a small bezel.

Make sure when getting your monitors, to not throw anything away until after the return window is closed. You will be pissed when 1 monitor does not match the others with brightness or color.
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:23:28 AM

Best answer selected by taylordawg.
m
l
!