Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How long will 6850/6870 last ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 2, 2012 9:17:35 AM

I'm wondering how long will ati radeon 6850 will last in the gaming years . I did my research that this graphics card was out in 2010 and I'm planning to upgrade to 6850. Is it too late ? because it is already into 2013. I'm using 3850 now. Been using it for 5 years and it is the best game graphics card in terms of lasting to play latest game.

So here is my question. Can 6850 keep up with games latest in 2-3 years from now ? because imagine there are a lot of new games engine nowadays and I'm worried that if I upgrade to this graphics card I only can use it for a few years .

Here my pc specs :
AMD Athlon X3 455
MSI 770 - C45
DDR3 8GB RAM
ATI Radeon 3850

Note : I did a little upgrade on my pc last june . I changed my old motherboard / ram and processor with the above specs. As you can see I'm in tight budget and I'm using my brother old motherboard. I ask this community few months ago some of the said if I go with higher gpu than 6850 my pc will having a bottleneck.

Help me answer the question. Thanks guy. :) 

EDIT: because I'm planning to upgrade to 6850/6870 1GB the end of this year

More about : long 6850 6870

a c 104 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 9:47:11 AM

First of all ; what psu do you have, can it handle it ?
Score
0
September 2, 2012 9:48:47 AM

oh yeah forget to mention that. 400w now. will upgrade with 600/700w when I buy that graphics card .
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 9:53:23 AM

Yes
2-3 years.
Score
0
September 2, 2012 9:54:21 AM

maxera said:
So here is my question. Can 6850 keep up with games latest in 2-3 years from now ? because imagine there are a lot of new games engine nowadays and I'm worried that if I upgrade to this graphics card I only can use it for a few years.


I have 6850 at the moment (with X6 at 3.5GHz) and it is already too weak for the higher end games when playing at 1920x1200 on high settings (even without AA, which I never use anyways).

Keep in mind that the new consoles will be coming out next year or a bit later, so game engines will need a lot more juice compared to current ones. If you want to keep the new GPU for next 3 years, I would not suggest getting anything lower than 7850.
Score
0
September 2, 2012 9:56:40 AM

at least if 6850 can hold until 2015 it will be great finger cross*. I don't mind play top games in lowest settings .
Score
0
September 2, 2012 9:57:04 AM

Just enough to buy 6850 and a new psu. :( 
The question is : Can 6850 keep up with games latest in 2-3 years from now ? ( tell me the exact year if you can )
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 9:59:31 AM

maxera said:
Just enough to buy 6850 and a new psu. :( 
The question is : Can 6850 keep up with games latest in 2-3 years from now ? ( tell me the exact year if you can )

I'll tell you that if you tell me what next weeks winning lottery numbers are! :pfff: 
Score
0
September 2, 2012 10:00:43 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I'll tell you that if you tell me what next weeks winning lottery numbers are! :pfff: 


sorry I don't play lottery. :p 
Score
0
September 2, 2012 10:01:31 AM

my monitor resolution is 21' 1920x1080.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:08:21 AM

maxera said:
sorry I don't play lottery. :p 

And I doubt anyone here is going to be daft enough to try predict the exact year that any particular card will become defunct.
Score
0

Best solution

September 2, 2012 10:08:26 AM

Well, I have a Saphire 6850, with a Phenom II X4, and to be honest with you,
in most games I play maxed out it's the CPU that is holding back the FPS and not the GPU.
I can easily play most games with graphics maxed out and at 1920x1080, but of course it not only depends on how powerful your machinery is, but how well the code of the games was written for their respective PCs ports ( Since nowadays we are getting many console/PC games ).

You WILL run games even in 5 years from now, the question is, how good? With the next generation of console coming, I highly doubt you will play games on MAX performance and graphics very soon, and that is for everyone, since PC games are always a rip-off when it comes to their respective coding part.

For example, when GTA V gets released on PC, even if it runs flawlessly on Xbox/PS3 you will still need a beast to run that one, even if it's current gen.

Hope it helps! I have one, and I am happy with it =)
Share
September 2, 2012 10:08:52 AM

Best answer selected by maxera.
Score
0
September 2, 2012 10:11:21 AM

luiscesjr said:
Well, I have a Saphire 6850, with a Phenom II X4, and to be honest with you,
in most games I play maxed out it's the CPU that is holding back the FPS and not the GPU.
I can easily play most games with graphics maxed out and at 1920x1080, but of course it not only depends on how powerful your machinery is, but how well the code of the games was written for their respective PCs ports ( Since nowadays we are getting many console/PC games ).

You WILL run games even in 5 years from now, the question is, how good? With the next generation of console coming, I highly doubt you will play games on MAX performance and graphics very soon, and that is for everyone, since PC games are always a rip-off when it comes to their respective coding part.

For example, when GTA V gets released on PC, even if it runs flawlessly on Xbox/PS3 you will still need a beast to run that one, even if it's current gen.

Hope it helps! I have one, and I am happy with it =)


Thanks man ! This the answer I'm looking for ! :D  Thumbs up to you .
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:13:28 AM

maxera said:
Thanks man ! This the answer I'm looking for ! :D  Thumbs up to you .

It didn't contain an exact year though I notice! :lol: 
Score
0
!