My system specs:
MOBO K9N neo V3
CPU AMD Athlon X2 4000+ 2.1 Ghz Dual Core
MEMORY 3GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
PSU Something that handles up to 420W
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 512mb Vram

So yeah, junk that is getting older...

Goal:
To replace the older ATI HD2600 PRO with the new ASUS EAH6450 I got from somebody.

Problem:
After successfully placing the card in the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot of my motherboard, and turning the system on, I do not receive input from any of the display card's output (VGA/HDMI/DVI). Not even the BIOS can be seen booting. But it does however, I can hear the logon sound of windows 7, so this means the system is not failing.

Things you might want to know:
- Card has PCI 2.1 support. But I heard it's backwards compatible with 2.0 slots, so this is probably no issue.
- Motherboard has no integrated graphics, so there's no need to set preferred graphics to PCI, it always is.
- BIOS updates on MSI.com do not indicate they fixed any issues regarding pci issues.
- This graphics card does not have a fan, so I can't tell wether it's receiving power.
- I read the card requires 64-bit memory interface, have no experience with this, or don't see it on msi.com under details

Hotlinks to products:
ASUS EAH6450 Graphics Card
K9N Neo V3 Motherboard

I hope I covered pretty much everything relevant, that is to say it's probably not a problem with drivers or anything after BIOS, because the BIOS already doesn't give any signal.

!Thanks to everybody that will be helping me out in this thread!

I'm not sure a 6450 is even an upgrade to a 2600PRO.

That board is so old, I'm surprised it even is Win7 compatible, have you run Win7 on that board before??

Also I don't think that board is pci-e 2.0, probably 1.0.

You said someone gave you the card, it's possible it didn't work, or it was damaged by handling, etc.

Depth08

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
The board is perfectly running win7 64-bit for over 2 years now...

You might be right the board could indeed not have had PCI-e 2.0 at the time of manufacturing. Still I never heard of any compatibility issues with that specific card before, or I'm the first one to try this.

That "Some one" is my own father. Not just some guy. He wanted a multi-monitor setup and had to go for another graphics card. So he gave me the one he couldn't work his multi-monitor setup out with. So yeah, I've seen it work, and it still does in his system (we tested it).

Why would the 6450 not be an upgrade to an older 2600 pro which has half the video memory of the ASUS card? The ASUS simply has better specs right?

HD 6450 is the lowest of the lowest cards today. That's why it's so bad. Amount of video memory doesn't not equal performance. Check this chart, it's just 2 tiers higher than your current card:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32481-7.html

Also, your motherboard has PCIe 1.0 slot. Those aren't compatible with 2.1 cards. If you want to know more about compatibility, read this:

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

So I just suggest keep using your current HD 2600 PRO and save money until you can get a new system ($400 should be sufficient if you're from US).

Depth08

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
I was planning to make/set up a new system, but with much better stuff, I thoguht I'd just upgrade my system a bit.

Anyway, yeah you can close this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS