Wait or Buy for my Gaming Build?

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Im currently saving up for a Gaming PC which I will build myself at Christmas however I am not sure weather to buy some parts now or later. I currently have £550 out of the £850 needed to purchase the parts and will have them by christmas but I am not sure weather to buy them along the way or to wait until I have the money (christmas) and buy everything at once. I see lots of discounts at the moment much cheaper than I would have thought to be but I am hesitant weather I should buy or not - have not purchased anything yet. Are any new peices of hardware coming out between now and Christmas such as the AMD 8000's series or 4th gen intel processors that would price drop? Basically I want to know which parts wont drop in price and which parts will between now and Christmas so I can make the most of good discounts along the way - I know so much that ssds are coming down in price every week so will buy at last week but unsure about everything else. Thx!!!

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Yes but is there anything new coming out between now and January latest?

Traciatim

Distinguished
There is always new gear coming out or just around the corner. Wait until you have the cash to buy a whole machine. It's so much more fun to have all your gear arrive and build it rather than having some gear arrive and sitting it on a shelf for a month while limiting your purchase choices for future pieces (IE, if you get an AMD processor as a great deal now... but then a month from now see a MB with all the features you would like super cheap, but it's Intel based, and now you're stuck.).

Things like cases, power supplies, Keyboards, Mice, Monitors... buy those anytime . . . but the real meat and potatoes you probably want to get it all at once.

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Ok cheers il be buying that cheap 7850 from amazon now while the offer lasts and mabee upgrade sometime in 2013, also new 4th gen processors coming out some time soon i know not sure exactly when, but its called Haswell.

you don't have to buy everything all at once. sometimes it takes me month's to gather stuff to put a machine together. I try to buy stuff when the price for any particular item is low and forgo purchases on stuff that i think is too high at the moment. I also look for "bundles". sometimes you can get decent price cuts on mobo-ram combos or on cpu/mobo combos. you have to keep your eyes open.

waiting for the next great thing to come along is usually a waste of time and is often more a disappointment when it finally does show up.

Patience.......
Computer parts continually drop in price.
It is better to wait as long as you can and buy all at once.
I see no new products launching before the end of the year.
SSD and hard drive prices will drop, so wait for them.
Do not buy ram until you have selected a motherboard. You need documented ram compatibility.

Do some budget planning now, but leave the details until the last moment.
My rule of thumb for a gamer is to budget twice the cost of your cpu for the graphics card, it is that important.

On the graphics card, I would look to the newer 28nm based cards that run cooler and quieter. They also need less power.

On the cpu, look to Intel i3 or i5. Their superior core speeds are more helpful to games than many cores.

Decide on your motherboard size. I suggest a M-ATX so long as a single graphics card will do the job.
With your budget, one card is enough.

Some parts can be bought now if you have decided on the considerations above,
and you find a good deal.

Buy the best monitor you can afford. It will last you for several generations of pc's.
A case is also ok, once you have determined your motherboard size.

If you will go with a single 28nm based card, you can probably buy a 550-600w psu.
That will power most single 28nm cards up to a 7970 or GTX680.
Here is a quick sizing chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Keyboard and mice are somewhat personal. Go to a shop and try them out first.
But, they do not change much, so you can buy them early too.

TRENDING THREADS