Solved

HD 7770 good enough for this build?

Hi there I've recently sold my HD 5670 and was thinking of replacing it with a better video card but still being energy efficient. I was wondering if the HD 7770 would be compatible with my build including total power consumption. Also was thinking of putting my Antec Kuhler 620 (watercooler) on my HD 7770, would that work? I have heard people placing it on GTX 560s.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (Stock Clocks and its also the 125 watt edition)
Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus ( One PCI-E x16 slot)
Ballistix Sport Series Ram 4 GB Pc10600
Antec Kuhler 620 Closed watercooler
Cooler Master RC350 (500 watt power supply with 20 amps on the 12v rail)
Cooler Master Elite 350 ( Computer Case)

Will there be enough watts for this build including the HD 7770 which I have not yet bought?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7770 good build
  1. The 7770 is incredibly power efficient. You don't need a water cooler on your HD7770, if you try to use the water cooler on the GPU, it will have to be a DIY-HackJob. If your worries are with temperatures or noise, then the ASUS 7770 is right up your alley. It is quieter than any of the 7750's (that have fans), and very cool in operation.

    With your PSU, you will easily run the 7770. Although the Cooler Master PSUs bundled with their cases are absolute recycled-garbage grade PSUs (actually most Cooler Master PSUs are garbage).
  2. Hi.

    Sure you got only 20A on the 12V ? Really low. . .
  3. The HD 7770 is a great card!You'll be more than satisfied with its performance.
    As for the cooler i think its best if you use it on your processor, as your HD 7770 will already have a very good cooler.
  4. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Hi.

    Sure you got only 20A on the 12V ? Really low. . .


    Based on his model number on the Cooler Master (*RC350*) I suspect it is really a 350 watt power supply relabelled. Cooler Master does this all the time, they are about as good as Diablotek on this. But 350W should be enough for the 7770, since the TDP of the entire board is only at 80 watts.
  5. Maxx_Power said:
    Based on his model number on the Cooler Master (*RC350*) I suspect it is really a 350 watt power supply relabelled. Cooler Master does this all the time, they are about as good as Diablotek on this. But 350W should be enough for the 7770, since the TDP of the entire board is only at 80 watts.


    Hi the processor actually has a tdp of 125 watts. My Hd 5670 worked flawlessly and it had a 61 watt power draw at max, will 20 more watts with the Hd 7770 do any harm?
  6. socialfox said:
    Hi the processor actually has a tdp of 125 watts. My Hd 5670 worked flawlessly and it had a 61 watt power draw at max, will 20 more watts with the Hd 7770 do any harm?


    Absolutely not. I have a very similar setup, and I measured the power draw from the wall with a meter before. You are going to max out with GPU+CPU load in the neighbourhood of about 250 watts absolute MAX with a 7770.

    EDIT: What I meant when I said the "board" has a TDP of 80W, is that the GPU (7770) has a published TDP of 80W. Which is 5 watts more than the PCI-E slot can deliver, thus the need for a PCI-E power (6 pin), but just ever so barely.
  7. Also I made a small typo on the power supply description, the case itself is called Rc350 but it comes with three different power supplies which are 350, 400 and 500. Which I have the 500 watts and in the description it says something like the 5v rail and 12v rail should not exceed 428 watts or something. So im guessing my power supply is somewhere in the mid 450 watts?
  8. Best answer
    socialfox said:
    Also I made a small typo on the power supply description, the case itself is called Rc350 but it comes with three different power supplies which are 350, 400 and 500. Which I have the 500 watts and in the description it says something like the 5v rail and 12v rail should not exceed 428 watts or something. So im guessing my power supply is somewhere in the mid 450 watts?


    Possibly, but then you got tons of power to play with. Shouldn't have to worry about the power supply issue.
  9. Best answer selected by socialfox.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Build HD Graphics