KotoR II Officially Confirmed

Last response: in Video Games
May 6, 2004 9:54:40 PM

In the borning days of the third millennium, James Stein wrote:
>http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371...
>
>I can't wait.

I wonder if they will take into account the fact that the Sith wiped out the
Republic when I played it? ;)

--
Brian Merchant (remove "example." to email me)

Reading Slashdot is like attending a meeting of Mensa in the same hall
where they're giving away WWF Smackdown tickets in exchange for chickens.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 9:54:41 PM

"Brian Merchant" <cheebieREMOVE2001@comcast.example.net> wrote in message
> In the borning days of the third millennium, James Stein wrote:
> >http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371...
> >
> >I can't wait.
>
> I wonder if they will take into account the fact that the Sith wiped out
the
> Republic when I played it? ;)

Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for such
feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation trees
that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick the
precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that a
diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of combat by
talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P

- David Prokopetz.
May 7, 2004 2:01:52 AM

David Prokopetz wrote:

> "Brian Merchant" <cheebieREMOVE2001@comcast.example.net> wrote in message
> > In the borning days of the third millennium, James Stein wrote:
> > >http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371...
> > >
> > >I can't wait.
> >
> > I wonder if they will take into account the fact that the Sith wiped out
> the
> > Republic when I played it? ;)
>
> Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for such
> feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation trees
> that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick the
> precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that a
> diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of combat by
> talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P
>
> - David Prokopetz.

I'm still waiting/hoping/praying that NWN XPack 3 will be Planescape.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 2:01:53 AM

James Stein wrote:

> David Prokopetz wrote:
>

>>"Brian Merchant" <cheebieREMOVE2001@comcast.example.net> wrote in message

>>>I wonder if they will take into account the fact that the Sith wiped out
>>
>>the
>>
>>>Republic when I played it? ;)
>>
>>Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for such
>>feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation trees
>>that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick the
>>precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that a
>>diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of combat by
>>talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P
>>
>> - David Prokopetz.
>
> I'm still waiting/hoping/praying that NWN XPack 3 will be Planescape.

Will there BE an XPack 3? I hope so, but I have never even heard rumors.

Then again, given NWN's architecture and steady popularity, there is no
reason not to do another...
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"I wasn't aware the Tokyo police employed uneducated, paranoid,
delusional foreign delinquents."
"In my case, they made an exception."
-- MegaTokyo
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 3:38:54 AM

In the borning days of the third millennium, David Prokopetz wrote:
>Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for such
>feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation trees
>that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick the
>precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that a
>diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of combat by
>talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P

Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was just
wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two vastly
different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just assumed
that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.

--
Brian Merchant (remove "example." to email me)

Reading Slashdot is like attending a meeting of Mensa in the same hall
where they're giving away WWF Smackdown tickets in exchange for chickens.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:28:03 AM

James Stein wrote:

> http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371...
>
> I can't wait.

Yeah, it was officially confirmed a couple weeks ago and effectively
confirmed several months ago. :)

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

James Stein wrote:

> I'm still waiting/hoping/praying that NWN XPack 3 will be Planescape.

I doubt there will be an XPack 3, but I have come across rumors of an
NWN 2.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 5:46:41 AM

Richard Clayton wrote:

> James Stein wrote:
>
> > David Prokopetz wrote:
> >

> >>"Brian Merchant" <cheebieREMOVE2001@comcast.example.net> wrote in message

> >>the

> >>Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for such
> >>feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation trees
> >>that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick the
> >>precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that a
> >>diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of combat by
> >>talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P
> >>
> >> - David Prokopetz.
> >
> > I'm still waiting/hoping/praying that NWN XPack 3 will be Planescape.
>
> Will there BE an XPack 3? I hope so, but I have never even heard rumors.

Nor have I; but I didn't hear about XPack 2 until it was already
released, so these days, I just sorta assume things will happen, and get
pleasantly surprised when they *do*.

> Then again, given NWN's architecture and steady popularity, there is no
> reason not to do another...

Either that or NWN2. Though really, my hopes for more XPacks simply rely
on the fact that on the Module Chooser page of NWN there's room for like
another 3 or 4 Xpacks.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 10:27:40 AM

James Stein wrote:

> Richard Clayton wrote:
>
> > James Stein wrote:

> > > I'm still waiting/hoping/praying that NWN XPack 3 will be Planescape.
> >
> > Will there BE an XPack 3? I hope so, but I have never even heard rumors.
>
> Nor have I; but I didn't hear about XPack 2 until it was already
> released, so these days, I just sorta assume things will happen, and get
> pleasantly surprised when they *do*.

Both XPacks were announced at very nearly the same time, and were
released a few months apart. I have heard nothing about an XP3.

> > Then again, given NWN's architecture and steady popularity, there is no
> > reason not to do another...
>
> Either that or NWN2. Though really, my hopes for more XPacks simply rely
> on the fact that on the Module Chooser page of NWN there's room for like
> another 3 or 4 Xpacks.

They could, the question is whether they will. Really, an XPack would
need to add new features for builders and players more than a new
campaign. What features are needed?

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 10:28:15 AM

Brian Merchant wrote:

> In the borning days of the third millennium, David Prokopetz wrote:
> >Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for such
> >feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation trees
> >that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick the
> >precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that a
> >diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of combat by
> >talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P
>
> Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was just
> wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two vastly
> different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just assumed
> that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.

Not entirely correct.

At the beginning of the game, you answer a series of questions to
establish what happened at the end of KOTOR.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 11:23:47 AM

In the borning days of the third millennium, Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
>Brian Merchant wrote:
>> Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was just
>> wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two vastly
>> different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just assumed
>> that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.
>
>Not entirely correct.
>
>At the beginning of the game, you answer a series of questions to
>establish what happened at the end of KOTOR.

Eveb cooler! I wonder if there are options in there I didn't take with the
first KOTOR?

--
Brian Merchant (remove "example." to email me)

Reading Slashdot is like attending a meeting of Mensa in the same hall
where they're giving away WWF Smackdown tickets in exchange for chickens.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 2:28:36 PM

Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
> Brian Merchant wrote:
> >
> > In the borning days of the third millennium, David Prokopetz wrote:
> > >Dude, this is the Fallout and Planescape: Torment crew, (in)famous for
such
> > >feats as a game with a literal million words of dialogue, conversation
trees
> > >that go in a dozen different directions at once and allow you to pick
the
> > >precise *shade* of good or evil you want to be, and endgame bosses that
> > >diplomacy-optimised character can defeat without a single round of
combat by
> > >talking them into committing suicide. What do *you* think? =P
> >
> > Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was
just
> > wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two
vastly
> > different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just
assumed
> > that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.
>
> Not entirely correct.
>
> At the beginning of the game, you answer a series of questions to
> establish what happened at the end of KOTOR.

Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base things
off that?

--
J. H. Frank
Anonymous

Julie d'Aubigny wrote:

> James Stein wrote:
> >
> > Richard Clayton wrote:

> > > Will there BE an XPack 3? I hope so, but I have never even heard rumors.
> >
> > Nor have I; but I didn't hear about XPack 2 until it was already
> > released, so these days, I just sorta assume things will happen, and get
> > pleasantly surprised when they *do*.
>
> Both XPacks were announced at very nearly the same time, and were
> released a few months apart. I have heard nothing about an XP3.

You might've misunderstood what I was saying; I'm not saying that I
failed to hear about XPack 2 because it wasn't announced well - I failed
to hear about it because *I* fail to hear about new games in general.
The only stuff I'm ever aware of is what Penny Arcade chooses to tell
me.

> > > Then again, given NWN's architecture and steady popularity, there is no
> > > reason not to do another...
> >
> > Either that or NWN2. Though really, my hopes for more XPacks simply rely
> > on the fact that on the Module Chooser page of NWN there's room for like
> > another 3 or 4 Xpacks.
>
> They could, the question is whether they will. Really, an XPack would
> need to add new features for builders and players more than a new
> campaign. What features are needed?

I'm happy with just new campaigns. Though, it wouldn't hurt if they
added a few more prestige classes and some subrace support. You know, so
that when you choose "Elf" and type in "Drow" you actually get some
Drowish ability and surface elves don't call you "brother" and Drow
don't call you "surfacer." Also, being able to play tieflings, assimar,
etc... would be cool.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:33:56 PM

J. H. Frank wrote:

> Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
> > Brian Merchant wrote:

> such
> trees
> the
> combat by
> > >
> > > Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was
> just
> > > wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two
> vastly
> > > different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just
> assumed
> > > that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.
> >
> > Not entirely correct.
> >
> > At the beginning of the game, you answer a series of questions to
> > establish what happened at the end of KOTOR.
>
> Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base things
> off that?

It's a sequel, not an xpack.

Besides, have you ever saved the game *after* it ended?
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:44:42 PM

That's what http://www.city-of-doors.com is for.

--
_______________
Ian A. A. Watson

James Stein wrote:

> Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
>

>>James Stein wrote:

>>>Nor have I; but I didn't hear about XPack 2 until it was already
>>>released, so these days, I just sorta assume things will happen, and get
>>>pleasantly surprised when they *do*.
>>
>>Both XPacks were announced at very nearly the same time, and were
>>released a few months apart. I have heard nothing about an XP3.
>

> You might've misunderstood what I was saying; I'm not saying that I
> failed to hear about XPack 2 because it wasn't announced well - I failed
> to hear about it because *I* fail to hear about new games in general.
> The only stuff I'm ever aware of is what Penny Arcade chooses to tell
> me.

>>>Either that or NWN2. Though really, my hopes for more XPacks simply rely
>>>on the fact that on the Module Chooser page of NWN there's room for like
>>>another 3 or 4 Xpacks.
>>
>>They could, the question is whether they will. Really, an XPack would
>>need to add new features for builders and players more than a new
>>campaign. What features are needed?
>
> I'm happy with just new campaigns. Though, it wouldn't hurt if they
> added a few more prestige classes and some subrace support. You know, so
> that when you choose "Elf" and type in "Drow" you actually get some
> Drowish ability and surface elves don't call you "brother" and Drow
> don't call you "surfacer." Also, being able to play tieflings, assimar,
> etc... would be cool.

Hmmm. Alternate races, particularly those with a character level
modifier, could be neat. Perhaps in NWN2?

I would not count on seeing anything Planescape-related, though. I am
pretty sure it is an officially discontinued setting.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"I wasn't aware the Tokyo police employed uneducated, paranoid,
delusional foreign delinquents."
"In my case, they made an exception."
-- MegaTokyo
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 1:00:44 AM

Richard Clayton wrote:

> > I'm happy with just new campaigns. Though, it wouldn't hurt if they
> > added a few more prestige classes and some subrace support. You know, so
> > that when you choose "Elf" and type in "Drow" you actually get some
> > Drowish ability and surface elves don't call you "brother" and Drow
> > don't call you "surfacer." Also, being able to play tieflings, assimar,
> > etc... would be cool.
>
> Hmmm. Alternate races, particularly those with a character level
> modifier, could be neat. Perhaps in NWN2?

I am an especially big fan of racial templates, in that context. I
dislike, "my first level sorceror is level 8 because he's an ogre."

> I would not count on seeing anything Planescape-related, though. I am
> pretty sure it is an officially discontinued setting.

Yes, it is discontinued. But the Manual of Planes still has quite a bit
of Planescape-esque stuff in it, and besides, I think Bioware can use
Planescape even if WoTC no longer officially backs it.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 2:56:51 AM

James Stein wrote:
> Richard Clayton wrote:
>
>>> I'm happy with just new campaigns. Though, it wouldn't hurt if they
>>> added a few more prestige classes and some subrace support. You know,
>>> so that when you choose "Elf" and type in "Drow" you actually get some
>>> Drowish ability and surface elves don't call you "brother" and Drow
>>> don't call you "surfacer." Also, being able to play tieflings, assimar,
>>> etc... would be cool.
>>
>> Hmmm. Alternate races, particularly those with a character level
>> modifier, could be neat. Perhaps in NWN2?
>
> I am an especially big fan of racial templates, in that context. I
> dislike, "my first level sorceror is level 8 because he's an ogre."

What would be cool is support for Savage Species-style racial classes . . . but
with the 3.5 edition attitude to them which removes the "you must progress
through every level of this class before you can do anything else!" In the
Savage Progressions article on the Wizards website, for example, Sean K.
Reynolds has broken down several templates and races with Level Adjustments into
levels, but you don't have to take them all in order or even take them all,
ever.

--
Christopher Adams
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nath Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person.
But every once in a while you just can be a real cunt.
- Bill
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:03:39 AM

Brian Merchant wrote:

> In the borning days of the third millennium, Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
> >Brian Merchant wrote:
> >> Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was just
> >> wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two vastly
> >> different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just assumed
> >> that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.
> >
> >Not entirely correct.
> >
> >At the beginning of the game, you answer a series of questions to
> >establish what happened at the end of KOTOR.
>
> Eveb cooler! I wonder if there are options in there I didn't take with the
> first KOTOR?

I have no idea. :)

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:06:45 AM

James Stein wrote:

> > Both XPacks were announced at very nearly the same time, and were
> > released a few months apart. I have heard nothing about an XP3.
>
> You might've misunderstood what I was saying; I'm not saying that I
> failed to hear about XPack 2 because it wasn't announced well - I failed
> to hear about it because *I* fail to hear about new games in general.
> The only stuff I'm ever aware of is what Penny Arcade chooses to tell
> me.

You might've misunderstood my response - I understood exactly what you
were saying. I was pointing out that I keep a close track on game
releases that I might be interested in, and right now all indications
are: XPack no, NWN 2 maybe.

In other words, I'm trying to murder your dreams. ;)

> > They could, the question is whether they will. Really, an XPack would
> > need to add new features for builders and players more than a new
> > campaign. What features are needed?
>
> I'm happy with just new campaigns. Though, it wouldn't hurt if they
> added a few more prestige classes and some subrace support. You know, so
> that when you choose "Elf" and type in "Drow" you actually get some
> Drowish ability and surface elves don't call you "brother" and Drow
> don't call you "surfacer." Also, being able to play tieflings, assimar,
> etc... would be cool.

I would like to see subraces, tieflings, aasimar, as well as new
prestige classes. Those would be enough for me, I think, for a new
expansion, along with a campaign to showcase them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CEP incorporated some of this stuff as it
is, though. Fans have made a hojillion prestige classes and a few races.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:07:06 AM

"J. H. Frank" wrote:

> Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
> > Brian Merchant wrote:

> such
> trees
> the
> combat by
> > >
> > > Oh, I fully expect to be able to be an evil bastard in the game. I was
> just
> > > wondering how they were going to handle the fact that there were two
> vastly
> > > different outcomes to the game. From reading the blurbs, they just
> assumed
> > > that neither side had a complete victory. Fair enough.
> >
> > Not entirely correct.
> >
> > At the beginning of the game, you answer a series of questions to
> > establish what happened at the end of KOTOR.
>
> Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base things
> off that?

Not that I've heard.

There are probably several good reasons to not do it that way.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:10:42 AM

"Julie d'Aubigny"
> "J. H. Frank" wrote:

> > Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base
things
> > off that?

> Not that I've heard.

> There are probably several good reasons to not do it that way.

Such as multiple saved games. Different players (like at my house). People
who never played KotOR on that specific unit. Blah blah blah.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:48:27 AM

Christopher Adams wrote:

> > I am an especially big fan of racial templates, in that context. I
> > dislike, "my first level sorceror is level 8 because he's an ogre."
>
> What would be cool is support for Savage Species-style racial classes

That's what I refer to with "racial templates."
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:48:28 AM

"James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>

> > > I am an especially big fan of racial templates, in that context. I
> > > dislike, "my first level sorceror is level 8 because he's an ogre."
> >
> > What would be cool is support for Savage Species-style racial classes
>
> That's what I refer to with "racial templates."

Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by starting
you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to be an
adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of experience
into the "ogre" character class (i.e., you're now explicitly a multiclass
Ogre 7/Sorcerer 1, instead of a Sorcerer 1 with a level adjustment of +7 and
a bunch of racial Hit Dice).

- Sir Bob.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 5:01:00 AM

James Stein
> J. H. Frank wrote:
> > Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base
things
> > off that?
>
> It's a sequel, not an xpack.
>
> Besides, have you ever saved the game *after* it ended?

Is that anything like the _automatic save_ that KOTOR (and some other games)
did after the ending?

--
J. H. Frank
Anonymous

David Prokopetz wrote:

> "James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> > > What would be cool is support for Savage Species-style racial classes
> >
> > That's what I refer to with "racial templates."
>
> Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
> level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by starting
> you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to be an
> adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of experience
> into the "ogre" character class (i.e., you're now explicitly a multiclass
> Ogre 7/Sorcerer 1, instead of a Sorcerer 1 with a level adjustment of +7 and
> a bunch of racial Hit Dice).

Yes. But that differs /how/ from Christopher's reference to Savage
Species-style racial classes? As I recall, ... those are the same thing.
A race with its benefits spread out across a series of 'levels', which
you purchase when/how you want until you've become a 'mature' member of
that race.

Mind you, if you see that as a problem, that's your business. I wasn't
labelling it a problem, nor do I think Christopher was.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:41:01 AM

> David Prokopetz wrote:
>
> > "James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> > > That's what I refer to with "racial templates."
> >
> > Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
> > level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by
starting
> > you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to
be an
> > adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of
experience
> > into the "ogre" character class (i.e., you're now explicitly a
multiclass
> > Ogre 7/Sorcerer 1, instead of a Sorcerer 1 with a level adjustment of +7
and
> > a bunch of racial Hit Dice).
>
> Yes. But that differs /how/ from Christopher's reference to Savage
> Species-style racial classes? As I recall, ... those are the same thing.
> A race with its benefits spread out across a series of 'levels', which
> you purchase when/how you want until you've become a 'mature' member of
> that race.
>
> Mind you, if you see that as a problem, that's your business. I wasn't
> labelling it a problem, nor do I think Christopher was.

I'm not saying it's a "problem" - I'm just saying that it doesn't fix "my
1st level sorcerer is an 8th level character because he's an ogre", which
has been suggested to be a problem.

- David Prokopetz.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:41:01 AM

James Stein wrote:

> David Prokopetz wrote:
>
>>"James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

>>>That's what I refer to with "racial templates."
>>
>>Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
>>level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by starting
>>you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to be an
>>adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of experience
>>into the "ogre" character class (i.e., you're now explicitly a multiclass
>>Ogre 7/Sorcerer 1, instead of a Sorcerer 1 with a level adjustment of +7 and
>>a bunch of racial Hit Dice).
>
> Yes. But that differs /how/ from Christopher's reference to Savage
> Species-style racial classes? As I recall, ... those are the same thing.
> A race with its benefits spread out across a series of 'levels', which
> you purchase when/how you want until you've become a 'mature' member of
> that race.
>
> Mind you, if you see that as a problem, that's your business. I wasn't
> labelling it a problem, nor do I think Christopher was.

An issue of /Dragon/ earlier this year had rules for werecreatures as
classes. I liked that a lot; in my next D&D campaign (if I ever run one
again-- it has been years) I might eliminate "natural" shapeshifters all
together. Instead, werewolves, weretigers, and the like are humans who
learn to take on the forms of animals.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"I wasn't aware the Tokyo police employed uneducated, paranoid,
delusional foreign delinquents."
"In my case, they made an exception."
-- MegaTokyo
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:41:19 AM

David Prokopetz wrote:

> "James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message
> > David Prokopetz wrote:
> >
> > > "James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> ogre."

> classes

> > > Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
> > > level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by
> starting
> > > you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to
> be an
> > > adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of
> experience
> > > into the "ogre" character class (i.e., you're now explicitly a
> multiclass
> > > Ogre 7/Sorcerer 1, instead of a Sorcerer 1 with a level adjustment of +7
> and
> > > a bunch of racial Hit Dice).
> >
> > Yes. But that differs /how/ from Christopher's reference to Savage
> > Species-style racial classes? As I recall, ... those are the same thing.
> > A race with its benefits spread out across a series of 'levels', which
> > you purchase when/how you want until you've become a 'mature' member of
> > that race.
> >
> > Mind you, if you see that as a problem, that's your business. I wasn't
> > labelling it a problem, nor do I think Christopher was.
>
> I'm not saying it's a "problem" - I'm just saying that it doesn't fix "my
> 1st level sorcerer is an 8th level character because he's an ogre", which
> has been suggested to be a problem.

Sure it does. Because with the Racial classes your first level sorceror
/ 0th level ogre is just a first level sorceror. You don't ever have to
buy extra ogre levels, unless you want the extra ogre bonuses.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:41:20 AM

> David Prokopetz wrote:
>
> > "James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> > ogre."

> > classes

> > starting
> > be an
> > experience
> > multiclass
> > and
> > >
> > > Yes. But that differs /how/ from Christopher's reference to Savage
> > > Species-style racial classes? As I recall, ... those are the same
thing.
> > > A race with its benefits spread out across a series of 'levels', which
> > > you purchase when/how you want until you've become a 'mature' member
of
> > > that race.
> > >
> > > Mind you, if you see that as a problem, that's your business. I wasn't
> > > labelling it a problem, nor do I think Christopher was.
> >
> > I'm not saying it's a "problem" - I'm just saying that it doesn't fix
"my
> > 1st level sorcerer is an 8th level character because he's an ogre",
which
> > has been suggested to be a problem.
>
> Sure it does. Because with the Racial classes your first level sorceror
> / 0th level ogre is just a first level sorceror. You don't ever have to
> buy extra ogre levels, unless you want the extra ogre bonuses.

At the cost of being a stunted, anaemic little ogre for your entire career,
yes. =P

- David Prokopetz.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:42:34 AM

Richard Clayton wrote:

> James Stein wrote:
>
> > David Prokopetz wrote:
> >
> >>"James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> >>Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
> >>level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by starting
> >>you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to be an
> >>adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of experience
> >>into the "ogre" character class (i.e., you're now explicitly a multiclass
> >>Ogre 7/Sorcerer 1, instead of a Sorcerer 1 with a level adjustment of +7 and
> >>a bunch of racial Hit Dice).
> >
> > Yes. But that differs /how/ from Christopher's reference to Savage
> > Species-style racial classes? As I recall, ... those are the same thing.
> > A race with its benefits spread out across a series of 'levels', which
> > you purchase when/how you want until you've become a 'mature' member of
> > that race.
> >
> > Mind you, if you see that as a problem, that's your business. I wasn't
> > labelling it a problem, nor do I think Christopher was.
>
> An issue of /Dragon/ earlier this year had rules for werecreatures as
> classes. I liked that a lot; in my next D&D campaign (if I ever run one
> again-- it has been years) I might eliminate "natural" shapeshifters all
> together. Instead, werewolves, weretigers, and the like are humans who
> learn to take on the forms of animals.

You can find that article on the WotC site. It's also got, handy, the
classes for Assimars/Tieflings, and using them as 'transition' racial
classes to pick up the racial templates for Half-Celestials/Half-Fiends.
I got all these pages on my favorites list, for the next time I consider
trying to learn to make a cool planescape NWN mod.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 7:13:34 AM

On Fri, 7 May 2004 20:32:46 -0600, "David Prokopetz"
<sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote:

>"James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

>> > What would be cool is support for Savage Species-style racial classes
>>
>> That's what I refer to with "racial templates."
>
>Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
>level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by starting
>you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to be an
>adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of experience
>into the "ogre" character class

Boy, he'd be a pretty precocious infant if he was already a sorcerer
at that age.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 7:13:35 AM

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 20:32:46 -0600, "David Prokopetz"
> <sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote:
>
> >"James Stein" <JamesSpamtein@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> >> That's what I refer to with "racial templates."
> >
> >Well, that doesn't solve the "problem" that your first-level sorcerer is
> >level 8 because he's an ogre - it just makes the issue explicit by
starting
> >you off as an immature ogre, and mandating that by the time you get to be
an
> >adult member of your species, you've put seven levels worth of experience
> >into the "ogre" character class
>
> Boy, he'd be a pretty precocious infant if he was already a sorcerer
> at that age.

Well, if he was a *wizard*, maybe, but in D&D terms, sorcery refers to
innate or instinctive understanding of magic - sorcerers have some of the
lowest starting ages of any character class.

- David Prokopetz.
May 8, 2004 3:19:35 PM

> Richard Clayton wrote:
>

> > Then again, given NWN's architecture and steady popularity, there
is no
> > reason not to do another...
>
> Either that or NWN2. Though really, my hopes for more XPacks simply rely
> on the fact that on the Module Chooser page of NWN there's room for like
> another 3 or 4 Xpacks.

Well, current projects are Jade Empire, and 2 others rumored to be a
'classic fantasy' game and a sci-fi game, neither of which are licensed.
They seem to be into the idea of not paying someone else to do the game.
They are, however, maintaining a very high level of customer support.

Though they did mention that they'll be dumping the tile system in the
future for level design.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:20:50 PM

J. H. Frank wrote:

> James Stein
> > J. H. Frank wrote:
> > > Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base
> things
> > > off that?
> >
> > It's a sequel, not an xpack.
> >
> > Besides, have you ever saved the game *after* it ended?
>
> Is that anything like the _automatic save_ that KOTOR (and some other games)
> did after the ending?

I have no clue. My question wasn't entirely rhetorical. NWN XPack 2 lets
you save after the ending, while it's telling it's final story. But I
don't think KOTOR does.
May 8, 2004 4:05:11 PM

> I wouldn't be surprised if the CEP incorporated some of this stuff as it
> is, though. Fans have made a hojillion prestige classes and a few races.

It does. Though the new races require a third party program to use (one that
a fair number of people can't make work) and only one batch of custom races
can be used at a time. (IE, you can use CODI's pack, or the CEP, but not
both.)
May 8, 2004 4:20:35 PM

"J. H. Frank" <frankjoh@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

> Wait, the game isn't going to just check the HDD for a save and base
things
> off that?
>
> --
> J. H. Frank

The most potent rumor I've heard was the 'Revan's Return' ending was going
to be the basis, though I could see it being left a bit vague. (Either
ending left the Republic Fleet decimated, and plenty of Sith still out there
invading worlds.)
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 11:26:01 PM

JJ wrote:

> The most potent rumor I've heard was the 'Revan's Return' ending was going
> to be the basis, though I could see it being left a bit vague. (Either
> ending left the Republic Fleet decimated, and plenty of Sith still out there
> invading worlds.)

Well, indications so far are that you get the questions and tell the
game how KOTOR ended for you. The galaxy's description sounds like a
post-Revan galaxy, but that isn't necessarily the case. A lot of the
chaos described was apparently caused post-Star Forge.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 11:37:34 PM

James Stein wrote:
> I have no clue. My question wasn't entirely rhetorical. NWN XPack 2 lets
> you save after the ending, while it's telling it's final story. But I
> don't think KOTOR does.

KOTOR does. I have a save that just shows one of the endings.

--
J. H. Frank
Anonymous

James Stein wrote:
> Richard Clayton wrote:
>
>> An issue of /Dragon/ earlier this year had rules for
>> werecreatures as classes. I liked that a lot; in my next D&D campaign
>> (if I ever run one again-- it has been years) I might eliminate
>> "natural" shapeshifters all together. Instead, werewolves, weretigers,
>> and the like are humans who learn to take on the forms of animals.
>
> You can find that article on the WotC site. It's also got, handy, the
> classes for Assimars/Tieflings, and using them as 'transition' racial
> classes to pick up the racial templates for Half-Celestials/Half-Fiends.
> I got all these pages on my favorites list, for the next time I consider
> trying to learn to make a cool planescape NWN mod.

For clarity's sake:

The Dragon article takes a different approach to the issue (combining
"lycanthrope" and "animal" traits into one class), and muddies the waters
because the lycanthropes those classes produce are actually different from the
lycanthropes in the Monster Manual.

The Savage Progressions articles on the Wizards website produce the lycanthropes
from the Monster Manual, and take the cooler (IMNAAHO) route of splitting the
creatures into "lycanthrope" and "animal" classes, so that you can have a
lycanthrope who's never explored (or is trying to deny) his animalistic nature
(by not taking levels in the "animal" class).

--

!