Adapter with 3 antenna vs. cheap USB adapter

Gurduloo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
My new build has a Rosewill RNX-N300X wireless adapter with 3 antenna. It's getting really crappy reception, much worse than my Rosewill RNX-G1, which is a cheap USB adapter with only 1 antenna. I'm a little surprised by this, I thought the 3 antennas would be at least as good, if not better. Does anyone have advice on how to position the three antennas? Should they all be pointed straight up? All pointed towards the router? Or should I configure them spread out like a W? Or maybe the middle one pointed straight down and the others straight up? There are a lot of possibilities.

I'm probably going to just take out the RNX-N300X and use the usb adapter, but thought I'd check here before I give up on it.

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
3 antennas do not give you better reception, they only give you more throughput, meaning you can send or receive more data at one time, and this only works if your router supports it.
The standard antenna produces what looks like a mushroom cloud of signal so strait up and down is generally the best. Sounds like the USB adapter might have a more powerful antenna.