Sign in with
Your question
Solved

660 Ti with a 560 Ti dedicated to PhysX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 5:00:57 PM

So I have a PNY GeForce GTX 560 Ti Enthusiast edition and I plan on buying a GeForce GTX 660 Ti in the next year or so. So instead of just taking out my old card and have it collect dust, I was wondering if I could use it as a PhysX card. Would it make gameplay better or worse because I know if the dedicated PhysX card is low enough it will decrease performance.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2012 5:08:33 PM

It will make it better on games that support it, and no difference on games that don't. Just make sure your power supply is big enough!
Related resources
September 2, 2012 6:26:03 PM

Ya I know not all games support it but if it improves performance on the ones that do then it wont hurt haha. I have a 900W PSU so I should be fine :p 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2012 6:51:24 PM

Yea you'll be fine :) .
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2012 8:04:20 PM

Well that is overkill, physx don't scale beyond a GTX260 let alone make good use of a gtx560Ti but I don't such configurations are going to be viable if the current bug with the latest physx drivers persists.
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:50:18 PM

nforce4max said:
Well that is overkill, physx don't scale beyond a GTX260 let alone make good use of a gtx560Ti but I don't such configurations are going to be viable if the current bug with the latest physx drivers persists.

I wasn't aware of any bug. But that is useful info haha. I know a 560 Ti is overkill for a PhysX card but I'd rather it do something and improve performance than literally do nothing. I could sell it but I think I should keep it just in case.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:02:54 PM

The 660 Ti Would probably do better by itself even with physX enabled.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:09:17 PM

theonerm2 said:
The 660 Ti Would probably do better by itself even with physX enabled.

I was thinking that but the 560 Ti is a very good card imo so thats why i didnt know if it would slow it down. but how do you know this?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 4:27:58 AM

No, GTX 660 Ti would not do better on its own, because GTX 560 Ti is a very decent card :) .
m
l
September 3, 2012 4:34:09 AM

Sunius said:
No, GTX 660 Ti would not do better on its own, because GTX 560 Ti is a very decent card :) .

I thought it was a good card as well. I thought it was the best Price/Performance card for the fermi architecture.
m
l
September 3, 2012 7:35:25 AM

560 ti for physx!! dude that's definitely an overkill as 560ti is powerful enough to play new games on its own ,, its about <35% slower than 660ti so of course it will be a very good combination for games like batman, alice madness returns, mafia 2 and games which uses physx alot while on other games that uses havoc or bullet physics the other card will be useless
m
l
September 3, 2012 2:31:27 PM

I know that the 560 Ti is a good card and it's clearly overkill for physX. You might get 5 or 6 more FPS with a dedicated PhysX card. Personally I doubt it's worth the extra heat and power consumption. If you were going to be using a weaker card then it might be worthwhile but that 660 Ti is a monster of a card.

My recommendation is to just use the 660 ti alone and sell your 560 ti while it's still worth something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M
m
l
September 3, 2012 7:30:52 PM

theonerm2 said:
I know that the 560 Ti is a good card and it's clearly overkill for physX. You might get 5 or 6 more FPS with a dedicated PhysX card. Personally I doubt it's worth the extra heat and power consumption. If you were going to be using a weaker card then it might be worthwhile but that 660 Ti is a monster of a card.

My recommendation is to just use the 660 ti alone and sell your 560 ti while it's still worth something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

I watch all of Linus's videos haha. But I don;t plan on buying the 660 Ti until next year or maybe in the next 6 months. So selling it isn't really an option right now. But all I needed to hear was that it provides a few fps in games that support PhysX lol
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:03:37 PM

I've personally looked through different forums and found mixed opinions on this topic. I own an msi GTX 660, a great card that replaced a GTx 460 array. At this point, I still have the 460's as they are currently selling in eBay. I hooked up a 460 with the 660 and dedicated it to physx. I tested it on Batman arkham city, being that it is the game I have that gets bogged down by physx being enabled. It goes without saying, this game has issues with stability, the dedicated 460 gave me a performance gain of about 5 FPS. On normal physx setting and on high. Mixing up the rest of the settings, turning off dx11, etc... I saw no gain over a single 660. In fact, I saw a performance decrease in games like Skyrim, and Max Payne. I noticed stuttering and frame drops for the first time. Also, the 660 would run about 10 degrees hotter at load and stayed hotter longer. The 460 would show about a 7% power load at its max, that being said, would probably translate to about a 3% load relief for the 660.

I tell you, in my opinion, the extra heat and the lack of Any significant gain, made using my old card for dedicated physx, is not worth it. Even if you have an extra lying around, it isn't worth it. Sell your extra.
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:03:01 AM

Best answer selected by xxaamxx135.
m
l
!