Sign in with
Your question

PC freezes with artifacts and buzz sound while playing bf3.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 5:39:55 PM

Hi.
From a long now i have been having these freezes,crashes hangs or whatever by now.Got mostly headaches while trying to solve the problem.I did many things by now but they only give temporary results,never a permenant.I am pretty desperate and im starting to think that this doesnt have a fix :( .The games that crashes very often are lol and bf3.It is usually a freeze with a cople of artifacts and a annoying buzz sound.Sometimes it only freezes on the last frame but with buzz sound again.It also crashes when hosting a minecraft server.
The crashes vary from 30 mins of play to 1 hour.Sometimes i can exit the game with an error message sometimes i dont
but i always have to restart the pc cause every other program that is open after the crashes directly crashes too or freezes also with artifacts.The mouse and keyboard sometimes work too when it crashes.To be clear only the programs that are open crash not the windows entirely.I got a couple of crashdumps for bf3.exe but i found nothing at the event viewer.On one it said MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE so i changed the RAM to a 4gb corsair vengance.On the others is INVALID_POINTER or something like that.Plus these files nvlddmkm.sys and nvwgf2um.dll.It says that they are the problem.I tried a cople of fixes from the net but again only temporary results.I did a driver sweap plus a reinstall and it gave me 2 hours of gameplay but nothing more.There was that one time after the clean sweep that only bf3 stopped working BUT nothing else stopped and i was to go back to the game.I did reset cmos still the same.I upped the voltage of the GPU still same lower the clocks still the same,lowered the cpu from 3.3Ghz to 3Ghz still the same.(did it from bios),I have done ALL of the basic troubleshooting tips like clearing the temp folder or Cleanstart only with needed programs still the same.The only thing i havent underclocked is the RAM.I also put new thermal paste.Changed the RAM's place and reseting it.From a week now i have also been experiancing lags when playing bf3 put a weak and momental.But i can a very weak buzz sound while playing and thats how i know that soon the game will crash.A friend of mine told me that this sound is from the display driver trying to recover but i never got that error message that the driver has recovered.But i havent got any BSOD not even one by now.
Any ideas what more i can try?
My specs are:
CPU:AMD phenom II X4 850 3.3Ghz
GPU:p alit Geforce GTX 550 ti(previus GTS 450 again palit)
PSU:650w turbo-x http://www.plesio.bg/zahranvane-c-69977705/650w-value-s...
RAM:4gb corsair vengeance X1(previus was also 4g adata 2gb X2)
HDD:1000GB
MOBO:Asrock n68-s3 UCC

a c 198 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:14:58 PM

Check the heat of your graphics card.

Also, it might be the power supply, since that is a pretty dismal power supply.
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:40:26 PM

As Deemo13 pointed out, it could be high temps as the issue comes after a time, or the PSU. However, don´t let the numbers to mislead you, a GTX550ti is slower than a GTX460.

I infer you´re into a 32 bit system -- if you get a 64 bit one, and placing another 4GB ram you´d have a much better gaming experience.

Battlefield 3 Performance: 30+ Graphics Cards, Benchmarked http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
Related resources
September 2, 2012 7:45:32 PM

i have 3 fans wired and GPU temps dont go more than 50 degres.The pc is working after the freeze so its not the psu
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 8:02:01 PM

Would try another PSU in there first. You came here for help, either try what people are suggesting or go elsewhere. Cant possibly know its not the PSU without trying another. Thats a garbage PSU.
September 2, 2012 9:26:42 PM

too low power, either from volts or from the psu, happened to me once and I solved it by adding 0.01v
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:02:15 PM

At what settings do you play the games?
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:14:35 PM

teodor1746 said:
i have 3 fans wired and GPU temps dont go more than 50 degres.The pc is working after the freeze so its not the psu

listen to the responses on the forum, you came here for advice take it

TRY A DIFFERENT PSU -- doesnt matter if "the pc is working after the freeze"
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:17:23 PM

jemm said:
At what settings do you play the games?

Irrelevant
September 2, 2012 10:25:26 PM

the 650w PSU is a new psu.I forgot to mention it.:) I got the same problems with the other 400w psu too.
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 11:00:52 PM

What motherboard are you using?
September 2, 2012 11:28:53 PM

Asrock N68-S3 UCC
September 2, 2012 11:35:27 PM

mrbeanladen said:
too low power, either from volts or from the psu, happened to me once and I solved it by adding 0.01v

For what The gpu or cpu cause i ajusted the Core voltage of the gpu to 1150 from 1125.
September 2, 2012 11:56:27 PM

Now even some of the programs i normally use dont work....This is getting very annoying.Im pretty sure its someting From the files:nvlddmkm.sys and nvwgf2um.dll as mentioned above or driver problem.If i increase the CPU voltage(if possible)could it help.The cpu temps are 46 idle.is that normal?The GPU is 36 idle.

Sry if you get confused.Im still learning to be an IT
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 12:36:30 AM

It could be the power supply, certain power supplies are not up to snuff when it comes to powering a computer. Not all power supplies are made the same. There's a 680W in a deep dark corner of my closet that is collecting dust. When brand new, it didnt put out more than 350W of power.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 12:40:19 AM

apache_lives said:
Irrelevant

Could you explain it in further details, please?
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 7:59:22 AM

Run Prime and Furmark together and report back with results, if you want also try a fresh install see how it behaves.

Sounds like a flakey Nvidia chipset problem now -- Nvidia motherboards are rubbish, most lasting a whole half of 2 years.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 8:02:58 AM

jemm said:
Could you explain it in further details, please?

Any rig should handle anything you throw at it at any given time (poor performance aside it should still render for games, heavy apps with insufficent ram should still swap aka thrash the hdd but still function) -- if its not working there a problem, in this case multiple apps causing multiple problems - the system is crashing its not a specific game or application at a specific setting.
September 3, 2012 1:04:32 PM

i did run Prime and Furmark a couple of times for 1 and then 2 hours both the same time but it didnt freeze or crash.When i have a feeling its gonna crash i hear a weak buzz sound constantly growing into a bigger obe until BOOM.Freeze.
September 3, 2012 1:06:56 PM

Deemo13 said:
It could be the power supply, certain power supplies are not up to snuff when it comes to powering a computer. Not all power supplies are made the same. There's a 680W in a deep dark corner of my closet that is collecting dust. When brand new, it didnt put out more than 350W of power.

i will buy a new PSU when i get the money(kinda broke right now but soon)Any advice what model and brand?
September 3, 2012 1:18:42 PM

Very often when i just browse the net or play an online game the adobe AIR also crashes by it self with the same results.i mean after the crash all other programs also crash and i have to restart the pc.
September 3, 2012 3:08:38 PM

Another bf3 crash i have something from the event viewer

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 9/3/2012 6:02:18 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Teodor-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: bf3.exe, version: 1.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fa421a5
Faulting module name: bf3.exe, version: 1.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fa421a5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x014ee730
Faulting process id: 0x1190
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd89dc322c5e6e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe
Report Id: f8a068a7-f5cf-11e1-8d28-002522b871a5
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-03T14:02:18.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1465201</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Teodor-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>bf3.exe</Data>
<Data>1.3.0.0</Data>
<Data>4fa421a5</Data>
<Data>bf3.exe</Data>
<Data>1.3.0.0</Data>
<Data>4fa421a5</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>014ee730</Data>
<Data>1190</Data>
<Data>01cd89dc322c5e6e</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe</Data>
<Data>f8a068a7-f5cf-11e1-8d28-002522b871a5</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 4:12:08 PM

By the event log, it doesn´t appear to be a PSU issue.

Usually when there is a PSU problem, the event log appears as a ´kernel power error´.

The error you´ve got is regarding to your BF3 copy. Perhaps you have to re-install the program.

a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 4:53:09 PM

You have been getting a lot of error messages:

MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE
INVALID_POINTER
nvlddmkm.sys
nvwgf2um.dll

I adivise you re-install first your operational system, then re-install your BF3.

Also, your PSU is not that good, and perhaps you´re having issues with it too. So, try testing your system with a different PSU, ans see how it behaves.

a c 273 U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 4:54:37 PM

apache_lives said:
Nvidia motherboards are rubbish, most lasting a whole half of 2 years.

Odd that mine are still going strong, I guess they forgot to ask you how long they should have lasted. :pfff: 

@OP, Do not ask for help with or suggestions on pirated software or cracks. :non: 

Don't...

Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first
September 3, 2012 5:05:58 PM

Sorry Mousemonkey didnt knew that.:) thanks for the advice.Mine isnt pirated since i payed 100levs for it thats about 50-60dollars and i can play the mp so its not pirated.im just asking how to fix my freezes and crashes.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 10:11:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Odd that mine are still going strong, I guess they forgot to ask you how long they should have lasted. :pfff: 

So obviously that whole HP Nvidia debacle never happened? I dont just randomly blame Nvidia and related products featuring there chipsets as the problem i know this because i repair/re-flow Nvidia based products all the time, they start at first to drop out and become intermittent all the way through to total failure. I restore them from a total black/dead state back up to running condition.

I love there products they make me alot of $$$ because of these faults.

September 4, 2012 10:45:54 AM

ok.so ireinstalled windows to a 32-bit version but it says that from 4gb of ram only 3.62 are usable is that normal?I havent tried the game yet.Ill report back when i do.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 11:52:58 AM

Yes it is normal, as the system itself uses a bit of ram in order to operate, so you have 3.62 GB available.
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 5:11:53 PM

apache_lives said:
So obviously that whole HP Nvidia debacle never happened? I dont just randomly blame Nvidia and related products featuring there chipsets as the problem i know this because i repair/re-flow Nvidia based products all the time, they start at first to drop out and become intermittent all the way through to total failure. I restore them from a total black/dead state back up to running condition.

I love there products they make me alot of $$$ because of these faults.

So how is that all their motherboards then? :heink:  The motherboard I'm currently using is not a HP one but according to you they are all now HP ones, what!!
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 5:44:55 PM

jemm said:
Yes it is normal, as the system itself uses a bit of ram in order to operate, so you have 3.62 GB available.

Yes its normal, but its not the system using it. Its a 32-bit limitation. No matter what a 32-bit OS can not address more than 3.3 gigs of ram (you're saying 3.62 but normally i see the limit as 3.3). The missing portion of ram is NOT being used at all. Unless its for compatability between certain software there is no reason anyone should be running a 32-bit OS, especially if you're a gamer. 8 gigs of ram seems to be the sweet spot right now, but in order to get there you'll have to make the jump to a 64-bit OS. For a 32-bit OS, anything above the 3.3 addressing limit is simply not used at all as if its not even there.
September 4, 2012 7:02:07 PM

tried the game.it crashed again.the same way.i have only 3 programs installed!.Any other suggestions.:( 
September 4, 2012 7:06:18 PM

found this:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 9/4/2012 10:01:26 AM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Teodor-PC
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-04T17:01:26.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>466</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Teodor-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 10:05:20 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So how is that all their motherboards then? :heink:  The motherboard I'm currently using is not a HP one but according to you they are all now HP ones, what!!

HP copped the worst of it - there the best example, i didnt say all all nvidia based boards are HP or whatever you just misread it :lol: 

To the OP, last things to do - reseat everything in the computer (video card, ram, sata/power cables etc), reset cmos, update all drivers (different versions of everything just incase) -- if its still doing it its most likely the motherboard.

Unless you have onboard video - try it for a day or so (good luck with games tho haha)
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 10:59:54 PM

apache_lives said:
Run Prime and Furmark together and report back with results, if you want also try a fresh install see how it behaves.

Sounds like a flakey Nvidia chipset problem now -- Nvidia motherboards are rubbish, most lasting a whole half of 2 years.

apache_lives said:
HP copped the worst of it - there the best example, i didnt say all all nvidia based boards are HP or whatever you just misread it :lol: 

To the OP, last things to do - reseat everything in the computer (video card, ram, sata/power cables etc), reset cmos, update all drivers (different versions of everything just incase) -- if its still doing it its most likely the motherboard.

Unless you have onboard video - try it for a day or so (good luck with games tho haha)

First you claim that all Nvidia motherboards are rubbish and then that the HP thing somehow proves your point. Wasn't the HP thing a GPU thing? An 8xxx GPU thing IIRC and GPU's are not motherboards.
September 5, 2012 12:35:17 PM

I reseted everything but still the same.I also think its the motherboard cause i changed everything exept the CPU(and im not willing to buy new one)I sold my old card GTS 450 for 60dollars.so know i have about 90dollars for a new motherboard.
Should i buy the same one or another because other people with the same pc dont have any problems.:(  and im jelous.
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 9:01:22 AM

Happy to help, glad you narrowed it down your a faulty Nvidia based motherboard with correct relevant and to the point information about your problem you described.

Its a very common thing with Nvidia products unfortunately, you can reflow the chipset but zero guarantee it will fix the issue for more then a few months - also a good way to prove its that actual fault but i wouldn't bother.
!