Sign in with
Your question

Antec VP-450 for GTX-550ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 7:04:52 PM

I've done a ton of research on this topic in a number of different areas, yet I keep coming away with more confusion and/or conflicting answers. Basically, I'm just looking for a quick upgrade for the ability to run Guild Wars 2 decently. I have a Dell Inspiron 537 w/ a 300w PSU and an HD 3400 GPU. I plan on a building a new machine in the next 6 months so I'm not concerned w/ getting "the best" or anything like that. I'm well aware that there are much better options than the 2 pieces in question, but I don't want to spend more than $150 on something that is only "temporary". Now for my question:

I understand that the VP-450 has dual 18a rails, and the 550ti requires 24a at the rail. I'm under the assumption that the GPU will only pull amperage from 1 rail? If so, is there a way to supply power from both rails to properly power the card? If so, will the remaining 12a be enough to power the rest of my system? Forgive me if these are stupid questions. While I feel I have a pretty decent grasp of how things work, I'm by no means an expert. Thanks

More about : antec 450 gtx 550ti

a c 106 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:05:52 PM

the psu is fine. the rails will just split work.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:08:36 PM

That power supply should be fine, but I wouldn't go for the 550Ti. At its price, its not worth the performance. The 7770 is a much finer choice and uses less power in the process.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:10:43 PM

VP-450 will work perfectly. However, instead of GTX 550 Ti I recommend HD 7770, which is around 20% faster and costs very similarly.
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:22:40 PM

Thanks guys. Given the fact that you both mentioned the 7770, that is probably the route I'll go. The funny thing is that I was looking into that card after reading some benchmark tests, but decided to go elsewhere. Maybe because I may have read it had a higher power requirement?? Who knows. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Also, for my own knowledge.....How does the dual rail setups work w/ supplying power? I read that the rails DON'T split power, hence my confusion. This person mentioned getting a splitter of some sort to tap into both rails. Also, if a given GPU connects to the motherboard, what is the purpose of the aux. PCI-E connector?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:28:18 PM

tonynyg said:

I understand that the VP-450 has dual 18a rails, and the 550ti requires 24a at the rail. I'm under the assumption that the GPU will only pull amperage from 1 rail? If so, is there a way to supply power from both rails to properly power the card? If so, will the remaining 12a be enough to power the rest of my system? Forgive me if these are stupid questions. While I feel I have a pretty decent grasp of how things work, I'm by no means an expert. Thanks

The card doen't require 24 amps, that's the reccomended 12v psu output for the system with the card
The psu is a typical dual rail, 1 rail for the cpu , 1 rail for everything else , you can't make the card draw from both rails ( actually could but it's a bit tricky and pointless )
It only provides a total of 30 amps combined
If it makes you feel better the per rail OCP is actually set to 27 amps ( not likely to be any "trapped" power )
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=2407&fid=5022042
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 7:30:52 PM

The 7770 has a lower power requirement than the 550Ti and performs better. The 7770 uses 84W on full load, which is 7a on full load.

Now say you are using a AMD Phenom II X4 955 for example. It has a 95W TDP, which is about 8a. For example the processor would use the 12V1 rail, and the 12V2 rail would go for the GPU type of thing.
m
l
September 2, 2012 10:00:54 PM

delluser1 said:
The card doen't require 24 amps, that's the reccomended 12v psu output for the system with the card
The psu is a typical dual rail, 1 rail for the cpu , 1 rail for everything else , you can't make the card draw from both rails ( actually could but it's a bit tricky and pointless )
It only provides a total of 30 amps combined
If it makes you feel better the per rail OCP is actually set to 27 amps ( not likely to be any "trapped" power )
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=2407&fid=5022042

Ahhhh...makes total sense now. Appreciate it dude. Great info here overall. Glad I signed up :) 
m
l
!