Please help with connecting 3 monitors

Sartoris36

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting the Sapphire 7870 2 GB GPU which has 1xHDMI, 1xDVI, and 2xminiDP. I have one monitor with DP, HDMI, VGA, and DVI ports, one monitor with DVI and VGA ports, and one TV with an HDMI port. I am wondering if it is possible to connect these monitors to the card in this way:

Card DVI -----------> Monitor DVI
Card HDMI ----------------> TV HDMI
Card miniDP --------------> Monitor DP

Apologies if this has been answered already. I tried using the guide, but couldn't find this combination there.

Thanks for reading :)

Sartoris36

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Thank you! I forgot to mention that one monitor and the TV support max resolution of 1920x1080 and one monitor supports max res. of 1440x900.

jemm

Distinguished
In order to connect 3 monitors, you need at least one of them with DisplayPort-capable panel -- as you have one, then it should not be a problem.

That doesn't change anything :).

Sartoris36

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
OK, that's great to know. One thing still bothers me, though: is it necessary to use an active adapter (mini DP to DVI) or would a cabel (mini DP to DP) work just as well (for a monitor that has both DP and DVI)? I know this might sound dumb, but I just want to make sure. :)

Sartoris36

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I'm also not sure if the miniDp-DP adapter that comes with the card is active or not. I can't find this info on their site...