Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my setup good and what graphics card do I use?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 29, 2012 8:03:14 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Whenever

Budget Range: MINIMUM

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching YouTube, Streaming TV, Surfing the Web

Am I buying a monitor: Yes


Do I need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: N/A

Location: Lyman, South Carolina, US

Parts Preferences: Low-end

Overclocking: Nope

SLI or Crossfire: Nope

My Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Additional Comments: So this build is just plain video watching and internet browsing machine. It needs to be as cheap as possible (just enough so it can do these simple tasks proficiently)

Why Am I Upgrading: I am getting parts for a friend to build a cheap entertainment machine. He has a good computer that he uses for everything, but he shares it with people who watch videos constantly. There is not much of a strain on it and he'd rather use it for games.

Here's my parts I have so far...I need help with the graphics card and just to overall cheapen the load.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Apex SK-393-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.15 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Logisys 480W ATX12V Power Supply ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VB175T 17.0" Monitor ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $395.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Advice would be taken EXTREMELY graciously

Thank you,

Alec

More about : setup good graphics card

Best solution

October 29, 2012 8:26:31 PM

Everything looks great for a cheap entertainment machine with just two exceptions. The PSU is garbage, you need to spend some cash to get one that won't fry.
Also, you should spend $10 more to get a half decent case.

Here are some suggestions.
PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Other than that, you should be fine.

Edit- I forgot to answer you GPU question. You won't need one. The CPU has a very good integrated GPU (iGPU).
If you have any questions, just ask.
Share
October 29, 2012 8:36:54 PM

^That's right.
You can probably get a monitor for far less money on Craigslist or eBay.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 8:53:11 PM

In order to benefit from dual channel memory, would it not be better to go with 2*2GB instead of 1*4GB?
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 9:05:48 PM

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, it won't make the slightest difference in a build like this.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 9:39:57 PM

I see what you are saying but the processor's built in graphics uses system memory - dual channel would offer a better low level gaming option. Against that, the motherboard has only two dimm slots so adding more memory at a later date would be real pain if both are filled now.

A suggestion : try Linux and save $91.99 - Windows can be purchased at a later date if still required.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 11:23:53 PM

Faustus said:
I see what you are saying but the processor's built in graphics uses system memory - dual channel would offer a better low level gaming option. Against that, the motherboard has only two dimm slots so adding more memory at a later date would be real pain if both are filled now.

A suggestion : try Linux and save $91.99 - Windows can be purchased at a later date if still required.


I don't need to make it good for low level gaming, it's being used just for web browsing and watching videos. And Windows 7 is a must because it's being used by not so avid computer users.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 11:31:14 PM

You should be fine with my suggestions and your other parts that you picked.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 7:57:07 PM

Ok, can I get a Micro-ATX case instead, and a friend told me I'd need a CPU cooler...do I?
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:00:02 PM

You don't. The APU will come with one. Any high-performance build would, as the stock coolers are generally pretty lame, but you'll be fine.
You can get a Micro-ATX case without changing anything else. Your motherboard is the only thing that might have had to change, but it's already M-ATX.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:04:11 PM

kajabla said:
You don't. The APU will come with one. Any high-performance build would, as the stock coolers are generally pretty lame, but you'll be fine.
You can get a Micro-ATX case without changing anything else. Your motherboard is the only thing that might have had to change, but it's already M-ATX.

Thanks, everything to minimize the price helps.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:04:57 PM

what would be a good case suggestion for a micro-ATX, or is it even enough saving to switch?
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:25:04 PM

There won't be any savings. The only reason to switch would be the smaller size of a M-ATX case. Choose your case based on style alone.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:29:55 PM

If you spend another $7 you can double your RAM. Don't know if that interests you.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:52:34 PM

4Gb is more than enough for any application, even gaming. The only reason why people buy 8GB is because its cheap (with the exception of photo and video editing). You can always add RAM, but really 4GB is enough.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:59:31 PM

zared619 said:
4Gb is more than enough for any application, even gaming. The only reason why people buy 8GB is because its cheap (with the exception of photo and video editing). You can always add RAM, but really 4GB is enough.


I know, I wasn't saying it's something he needs. It just makes sense from a value perspective imo.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:18:08 PM

TheShepherd said:
If you spend another $7 you can double your RAM. Don't know if that interests you.

Interesting, I could take out the current 4Gb RAM in the other PC and switch it out with 8Gb RAM...don't know why I didn't think of that earlier...thanks
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 12:36:56 AM

Best answer selected by ruskininja.
m
0
l
!