Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with 3 terabyte drive.

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2012 8:11:05 PM

Hey there, I recently built my first ever system and it's been running great ( Thanks to the immense amount of help and support from this community. ) I'm super duper proud of the system and it's performance is beyond what I expected, however I'm having one issue.

I purchased a seagate barracuda 3 T drive, but my system is only picking up 2 T. Is there a way to get my system to pick up the rest of the data ?

System info :

i5 3570k ( running stock )
Gigabyte Z77-UD5H
Seasonic 750w
GTX 680
G.Skill sniper 8 gigs
Adata SSD 128 gb
On windows 7 64 bit

More about : problem terabyte drive

a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2012 8:16:33 PM

wow, either that 1tb missing is ALL windows files or... there is a possible sector in the drive that is bad..

m
l
October 29, 2012 8:18:49 PM

u need to update ur BIOS on your mobo. it will then detect 3gb
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 8:20:40 PM

Updated the bios yesterday, still showing 1.90 T available out of 1.99 T. My SSD has windows on it. :/ 
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:47:05 PM

Make sure you're using a GUID partition table and not the older MBR type

in diskmgmt.msc try right clicking on the disk and see if there is a "Convert to GPT" option.

http://www.techarp.com/article/Western_Digital/3TB_Inst...

After that, you should also be able to then resize the partition.
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:56:51 PM

went into the disk manager and I don't have an option to convert to GPT. However, I do see that my system is aware of the disk size ( it lists it as a full 3 t ) however, it shows a system partition, the main partition of 2T and a third, black " unallocated" partition just after that. I'm not sure if I could change the partition to include those extra few hundred gigs, but I am unable to partition that excess space in black, when I right click it gives me no options.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2012 9:10:02 PM

You need to convert the disk to GPT before it can see the extra 1 TB. I did a search on Microsoft.com and this is what I came up with. It should allow you to convert the partition table and then enable you to partition it as a 3TB disk. Note: make sure you completely backup all of your data because the conversion process requires the disk to be empty.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
October 29, 2012 9:11:51 PM

You almost certainly need to convert it to GPT.

Check out Computer Management then goto Disk Management - I'm not sure if the option is here (under format I think) since I use Partition Manager. You might need to consolodate all allocated and unallocated space - on this disk only - first (e.g. delete volume/partition)....please be carefull here.
m
l
October 29, 2012 9:26:00 PM

Best answer selected by nightflights.
m
l
October 29, 2012 9:26:20 PM

After a little fiddling I finally got it all to work. You guys were indeed right, needed to convert to GPT. My system is now showing a sexy 3T of space. ^_^ ; Really really glad I caught this early before my space started to run out.
m
l
!