Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7970 vs 670 Which one for me?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 2, 2012 7:56:57 PM

So I was going for the 7950 at the 300$ budget but decided to increase to around 400$. I am not going to get my parts next week or next month. I will be getting it around November for the deals and hoping either the 7970 or 670 gets a little cheaper.

Brief overview on my build:

i5 3570k
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair HX Series HX750W
1TB
128GB SSD
HAF 932

I might, might not overclock my GPU. If I do overclock, I will do it a little. So which one of 7970 or 670 is better for me? I will be getting the card that has high reviews and ratings.

For the 670, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., this EVGA card is the more popular one.

For the 7970, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., this one looks good and has good reviews.

Which one will perform the best, without overclocking, can still overclock a little, stay low temps and voltage when overclocking a little?

Thanks, hope you guys take the time to help me.

More about : 7970 670

a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 8:10:15 PM

Well the reference versions of the cards will not stay as cool as an aftermarket cooler on either card. The 7970 is a little more power hungry. If you don't plan to go for overclocking then the 670 is fine for you. The FTW is one of the best.

Since you are not going to overclock much, that 670 will auto clock on its own and maintain lower voltage/power usage. But if you do want to overclock then you can also push that card well.

The 7970 is a good choice too but I recommend getting one with an aftermarket cooler so it is quieter and stays cooler. The 7970's have really good overclocking potential too. Only reason I got a 7970 over the 670 FTW was because I was able to get a hell of a deal a few days ago on it so I snatched it.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 8:17:45 PM

Both of those cards are excellent, but the 7970 is better if you can afford it.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 8:28:57 PM

I recommend against getting a 7970 with a stock cooler unless it's under $400. Stock coolers for AMD aren't very good.

Also, if you overclock, then get the 7950. It can go just as far as a 7970 can. The difference in performance between the 7970 and the 7950 is primarily the GPU clock frequency and at the same frequency for GPU and memory, the 7950 and the 7970 are extremely close (usually a little closer than the 670 is to the 680) and the 7950 can be pushed just as far as the 7970 can.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 10:03:16 PM

7970 non reference
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:10:28 PM

Keep in mind that in Nov recommendations and prices will change.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:28:43 PM

Embra said:
Keep in mind that in Nov recommendations and prices will change.


*will* might be a little strong. *might* seems better unless you have evidence that it is impossible for prices to not change :) 

This is how I see it right now, although this is just an opinion, not proven fact.
Chances are that Nvidia won't drop prices on any of their cards anytime soon unless AMD drops prices again too and that's unlikely unless Nvidia releases a new card that also hurts their current pricing scheme (a new card is not unlikely, but hurting AMD's current pricing scheme is).
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 11:31:20 PM

GPU prices change every month if you count available MIR deals, specials, etc...

Anyways, the 7970 is just slightly the better card, but I would not recommend getting one with a reference cooler like the one you linked. I think if $400 is the top end of your budget, you're probably better off with a 670.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:32:55 PM

BigMack70 said:
GPU prices change every month if you count available MIR deals, specials, etc...

Anyways, the 7970 is just slightly the better card, but I would not recommend getting one with a reference cooler like the one you linked. I think if $400 is the top end of your budget, you're probably better off with a 670.


Not necessarily. Besides, the 7950, when overclocked, is still slightly better than the 670 anyway because it can go as far in performance as a 7970 with the same cooler. I find it difficult to honestly recommend a 670 because of that.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:43:23 PM

BigMack70 said:
GPU prices change every month if you count available MIR deals, specials, etc...

Anyways, the 7970 is just slightly the better card, but I would not recommend getting one with a reference cooler like the one you linked. I think if $400 is the top end of your budget, you're probably better off with a 670.



The 7970 and 670 shouldnt even be compared in terms of performance, the 7970 isnt just slightly better it blows the 670 out of the water. Higher end non reference 670 are pretty pricey in the range of 7970Ghz editions. The few dollars extra for a 7970 over a 670 is definitely worth it.


m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:47:03 PM

Never understood the rationale behind asking what to buy 2 or 3 months before ya buy it. True there may not be any new hardware to come along in this time period, cept lower end cards maybe. But with Black Friday dropping in November, no one here can honestly say what prices will be when that happens. Ask a week before ya buy it, not 2 months.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:53:01 PM

Please don't post benchmarks without links to where they are from. Without links to verify them, they are useless garbage. Also, That the 7950 can go as far as the 7970s with the same coolers makes the 7970's higher price than the 670 meaningless because the 670 can't come close to the 7950 in price. Recommending the 670 just because it is cheaper than the 7970 is kinda dumb because of the 7950. The 670 is going to need more reasoning than being cheaper than the 7970 to be recommended.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 11:54:14 PM

Tomshardware is not a good site to judge overall relative performance - their benchmark suite is way too small, consisting of just a few games and often at weird graphical settings.

The 7970 is just slightly faster than the 670:


And prices change all the time on GPUs... there was a crazy nice deal for the HIS IceQ 7970 for $394 that just ended a couple days ago.

I just think that reference 7970s are a bad idea... the reference cooler is kinda loud and not anywhere near as good at cooling as the custom coolers are.

There's many nice custom cooled 7970s for $410-430, and all of those are better than the 670, but if his budget can't go past $400, then the 670 is the better option.

If you have $420-430 to spend, then I'd recommend (in this order)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

over the 670

m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:59:29 PM

Being from Techpowerup is irrelevant without a link to the article. I knew the site, not the exact article. That article's numbers are useless because many of the tests were stupid. Not using AA when it is an option and the cards are already pushing for 80-100FPS is a useless comparison. Several of the tests were like this. They also didn't include overclocking where the 670 loses significantly no matter what and on that note, didn't include an overclocked 7950.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 12:04:44 AM

I just grabbed any TPU article that would have the results... their results are consistent throughout and not dependent on which particular article it's pulled from. And just because you don't like the results doesn't make the tests "stupid". They test one of the most extensive suites of games out there.

Not everyone wants to chase down a 40% overclock... and everyone knows that Tahiti is the better option for overclockers...

I think you need to lay off the red koolaid
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:14:45 AM

Their results are hardly useful when they don't give more than basic info on the tests. Tom's isn't perfect, but they give more info. You can actually get something out of them more meaningful. Results don't need to be consistent when you know how to compare them properly and have the info to do that with. Trying to be consistent in results can muddy up the usefulness of a test's results when they don't give enough info about the situation around each test.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:17:14 AM

Also, when games that aren't played often compared to how often the most popular games are played are given equal significance in tests to those more popular games, the results, again, are less meaningful. I'm not being an AMD fanboy or whatever. I've owned more Nvidia cards than Ati/AMD and my last was a GTX 560 TI.

Instead of going by a few numbers, I like to actually look into how things work the ways that they do. The only constant with most review sites is that none of them do things nearly as well as they could in many areas. Techreview, for instance, doesn't give nearly enough info about each test and doesn't give enough info about the results, so what info they do give you is reduced in meaning through a lack of context. Tom's does better in this, but not a whole lot better. Still, better enough to be able to get more meaningful info out of their tests.
m
0
l
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 151 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:34:36 AM

The two score differently depending on test suite chosen. On a "bang for the buck" basis, at Guru3D, the 670 takes the win.....at techpowerup, the recent price reductions have AMD and nVidia in a tie.

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite: Hard Reset, COD-MW2, Far Cry 2, ANNO 1404, Metro 2033, ANNO 2070, BFBC2, BF3, Crysis 2, AvP, Lost Planet 2.

The GTX 670 costs $400 and scores 917 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.44 per frame
The GTX 670D CII costs $420 and scores 999 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.42 per frame
The 7970 costs $420 and scores 872 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.48 per frame
The 7970 DCII costs $430 and scores 924 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.47 per frame
The 7970 Ghz Ed costs $470 and scores 952 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.49 per frame

TechPowerUp used the following common games (games which weren't used on all cards listed were eliminated from totals) in their test suite: Alan Wake, AvP, Batman Arkham City, BF3, BattleForge, COD4, Civilization 5, Crysis. Crysis 2, Dirt 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, Metro 2033, Stalker CoP, Starcraft 2, Shogun 2, Skyrim, WoW

The GTX 670 costs $400 and scores 1157.3 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.35 per frame
The GTX 670D CII costs $420 and scores 1265.3 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.33 per frame
The 7970 costs $420 and scores 1191.8 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.35 per frame
The 7970 DCII costs $430 and scores 1303.0 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.33 per frame

As far as the 7970 having an OC'ing edge, i'm not seeing it

Max Stable OC on Asus 670 TOP gets 9839 on 3DMark 11 .... that's a 5% advantage over the Ghz Edition and 4 % over the 7970 Lightning
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-dire...

Max Stable OC on 7970 GH Edition gets 9403 on 3DMark 11
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-editio...

Max Stable OC on MSI 7970 Lighning gets 9449 on 3DMark 11
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-hd-7970-lightn...

When all is said and done, I'm in agreement with this review.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

With the power, heat ,noise and feature advantages, I have an easy time picking the 670 over the 7970 at 1920 x 1200 ...... At 2560 x 1600, ya have to weight the 7970's performance advantage over the 670's power, heat ,noise and feature advantages . The power and heat issues can be handled easy enough so it comes down to the extra performance of the 7970 at this resolution versus the loss of PhysX ..... and as much as I enjoyed the PhysX and 3D on Batman AC, I'd go with the 670 ...... if ya not that impressed by PhysX and 3D, ya'd have to go with the 7970 at 2560 x 1600.

I found a new site I am gonna start using for tabulating figures .... very detailed info on each test and lots of criteria including 5760 x 1080:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2725/9/nvidia-geforce-g...
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:45:49 AM

Guru3D's worst issue is that they don't update their results, so once they're outdated, they're almsot completely useless.

Also, a good heat, and noise comparison doesn't involve caring about the reference coolers when there are far better non-reference coolers. Including undervolting and such can help too. AMD's higher power consumption is pretty much unavoidable with Radeon 7900, but undervolting might be able to change things up a little for the non-overclockers. AMD set voltages pretty high for their stock performance.

If PhysX matters to you, then a 7950 plus a GTS 450 or a similarly performing Nvidia card to run PhysX can beat a 670 so badly that it's not even funny in performance, albeit not in power consumption.
m
0
l
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 151 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:56:56 AM

blazorthon said:
If PhysX matters to you, then a 7950 plus a GTS 450 or a similarly performing Nvidia card to run PhysX can beat a 670 so badly that it's not even funny in performance, albeit not in power consumption.


Since you're the one with the issue regarding sources .... link please. And we talking "bang for the buck" so factor in the $100 cost of the 450 and the argument falls apart.

Quote:
Guru3D's worst issue is that they don't update their results, so once they're outdated, they're almost completely useless.


I love the arguments that one manufacturer's card with updated drivers beat the other manufacturers card with old drivers. The table is set for both manufacturers evenly. Both have updated drivers which improve performance. Pick 20 sites and see how they stack up.....the results are fairly consistent. The updated driver arguments and faster overclocker arguments are just not supported by the numbers

The buying public would appear to be in agreement. Despite a huge head start in release dates, nVidia's 6xx sales have passed AMD's 7xx series. This is a summary of the hardware survey conducted by Steam based upon what hardware (DX11 GFX Cards) hit their servers in the month of July. Make of it what you will.

Columns are:

-Overall rank out of DX11 Cards (number hitting Steam Servers)
-Card Name
-% of total DX 11 cards

32 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 0.99% (1.5 months since release)
35 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 0.90% (5 months since release)
42 ATI Radeon HD 7850 0.62% (6 months since release)
46 ATI Radeon HD 7970 0.54% (8 months since release)
56 ATI Radeon HD 7770 0.39% (6.5 months since release)

After just 6 weeks, there are more 670s in use by Steam gamers than any AMD card .... by a factor more than 1.5
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 1:03:15 AM

If you can find a non reference HD 7970 for the same price as GTX 670, then pick the non reference HD 7970 and flash it to the Ghz edition bios and enjoy. If not, pick a preoverclocked GTX 670 such as Asus Top or Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 or EVGA FTW.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 1:04:35 AM

It depends what games you will play more. I think the 7970 is better for multiple monitors and higher resolutions. Get which ever one saves you more money.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 1:20:55 AM

Before AMD's 12.7 driver beta the 670 and 7970 were fairly close, and that is when most benchmark sites did their tests. With 12.7/12.8 drivers the 7970 is MUCH better. anywhere from 10-20% better across the board. Keep that in mind when your looking through reviews.

Personally, with 7970's sitting around $430, I would absolutely pick it up over a 670.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 1:42:37 AM

BigMack70 said:
Tomshardware is not a good site to judge overall relative performance - their benchmark suite is way too small, consisting of just a few games and often at weird graphical settings.

The 7970 is just slightly faster than the 670:
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7970_Toxic_6_GB/images/perfrel_1920.gif

And prices change all the time on GPUs... there was a crazy nice deal for the HIS IceQ 7970 for $394 that just ended a couple days ago.

I just think that reference 7970s are a bad idea... the reference cooler is kinda loud and not anywhere near as good at cooling as the custom coolers are.

There's many nice custom cooled 7970s for $410-430, and all of those are better than the 670, but if his budget can't go past $400, then the 670 is the better option.

If you have $420-430 to spend, then I'd recommend (in this order)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

over the 670









your graphs are out of date, bear in mind the 7970 is stock and the 670 is autoboost overclocked
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 1:58:49 AM

can't lose get whats cheaper

all the benchmarks in world won't matter once you game with either card both will be spectacular , but as mentioned reference coolers are generally louder and less effective
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 2:08:34 AM

Sapphire 7970 without reference cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have the 7950 version of this card and I can't hear it over any other fans that i have going in my case or the fan in my room...I've set it to 100% to see at how loud it actually gets and it is completely tolerable. Highest i've seen my gpu is 62c and the fan speed at 65%.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 2:15:31 AM



So because my graphs take ~17 games into account and show that they're the same, and then you post 5 graphs where 1 game (AvP) is known to favor AMD considerably and the others show 3 mild wins for AMD and 1 for Nvidia, my graphs must therefore somehow be out of date?

Put the drink down man. :pfff: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 2:19:19 AM

BigMack70 said:
So because my graphs take ~17 games into account and show that they're the same, and then you post 5 graphs where 1 game (AvP) is known to favor AMD considerably and the others show 3 mild wins for AMD and 1 for Nvidia, my graphs must therefore somehow be out of date?

Put the drink down man. :pfff: 


The game is old news
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 2:22:17 AM

You guys do know that TPU updates their reviews, right?
Quote:
All video card results were obtained on this exact system with exactly the same configuration.
All games were set to their highest quality setting unless indicated otherwise.
AA and AF are applied via in-game settings, not via the driver's control panel.


And if you go through their tests and check the absolute numbers, you'll notice FPS differences as drivers get updated.

Get off the red and/or the green drinks. The 670 and 7970 perform basically the same at stock up to 1080p resolution, trading blows depending on the game. The 7970 will OC better and do better at high resolution (and has way more compute power), the 670 gives you PhysX etc and lower power draw. Both are solid buys around the $400 mark and a 670 is going to be a way more pleasant experience than a reference cooled 7970.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 2:45:45 AM



I got that crazy nice deal on the HIS IceQ lol. Have not received my case yet so its still in the package. But either way OP should go with whatever deal he can get. I was waiting around for a deal on a specific 670 and that didn't come through so I picked up that 7970, cant really go wrong.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 3:06:42 AM

BigMack70 said:
So because my graphs take ~17 games into account and show that they're the same, and then you post 5 graphs where 1 game (AvP) is known to favor AMD considerably and the others show 3 mild wins for AMD and 1 for Nvidia, my graphs must therefore somehow be out of date?

Put the drink down man. :pfff: 



Incorrect you provided a graph with relative performance that is a joke my graphs are to the point actual gameplay, relative can mean no AA, FXAA, no AF. Your the only one in here that thinks the 670 and 7970 are evenly matched hope your not selling the stuff your drinking. Here is more of "relative'' performance for ya. Funny how you pick on the AVP graph, no comments on the other huh?



m
0
l
September 3, 2012 3:43:52 AM

relative means they sum up all their tests and average it out relative to whatever card is currently being reviewed so that you can compare all cards across the spectrum... the TPU graph sums about 10 times more information than what you posted

Seriously... if you're not going to read, don't attempt to argue... :pt1cable: 

And seriously, Tomshardware has one of the more limited game benchmark suites out there... summaries from this site have to be corroborated with sites that use broader test suites unless you're only interested in a few games
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 5:04:12 AM

BigMack70 said:
relative means they sum up all their tests and average it out relative to whatever card is currently being reviewed so that you can compare all cards across the spectrum... the TPU graph sums about 10 times more information than what you posted

Seriously... if you're not going to read, don't attempt to argue... :pt1cable: 

And seriously, Tomshardware has one of the more limited game benchmark suites out there... summaries from this site have to be corroborated with sites that use broader test suites unless you're only interested in a few games



Thanks for telling me the meaning of relative I really did not know.... too many review sites out there that for sure. The only one arguing here is you, if it makes you feel better than I agree the 670 and 7970 are so close performance wise that the 7970 seems overpriced lol. As you said your graph showed the 670's performance accross 17 games, how many of those games were optimized for Nvidia based hardware??? Yeah that right so dont feel offended when someone post an AVP bench.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 5:13:14 AM

I would say gtx 670 and R7950 are best bang for buck right now the R7970ghz and gtx 680 need to come down in price more before i'd buy either
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 5:26:11 AM

Get either one both are top notch if your into pushing cards and mods elect if you get a 670 hit me up in private for full details i have some modded bios that a buddy of mine did use at your own risk but they work and are dope
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 5:46:41 AM

I would never buy a Gigabyte card because i have had bad luck with them so it's a personal thing doesn't mean they make bad cards just the ones i have bought in past were garbage and they didn't make things right so that's why i never recommend them except for their mobos i ain't trying to help them make no sales though not that they need me to anyway lol
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 6:50:34 AM

selayan said:
Well the reference versions of the cards will not stay as cool as an aftermarket cooler on either card. The 7970 is a little more power hungry. If you don't plan to go for overclocking then the 670 is fine for you. The FTW is one of the best.

Since you are not going to overclock much, that 670 will auto clock on its own and maintain lower voltage/power usage. But if you do want to overclock then you can also push that card well.

The 7970 is a good choice too but I recommend getting one with an aftermarket cooler so it is quieter and stays cooler. The 7970's have really good overclocking potential too. Only reason I got a 7970 over the 670 FTW was because I was able to get a hell of a deal a few days ago on it so I snatched it.

Oh so that 7970 I posted is a reference card? What about the 670 FTW?
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 6:57:40 AM

The only 670's i would choose would be the Asus TOP or MSI 670 PE
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 7:02:02 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
The two score differently depending on test suite chosen. On a "bang for the buck" basis, at Guru3D, the 670 takes the win.....at techpowerup, the recent price reductions have AMD and nVidia in a tie.

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite: Hard Reset, COD-MW2, Far Cry 2, ANNO 1404, Metro 2033, ANNO 2070, BFBC2, BF3, Crysis 2, AvP, Lost Planet 2.

The GTX 670 costs $400 and scores 917 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.44 per frame
The GTX 670D CII costs $420 and scores 999 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.42 per frame
The 7970 costs $420 and scores 872 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.48 per frame
The 7970 DCII costs $430 and scores 924 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.47 per frame
The 7970 Ghz Ed costs $470 and scores 952 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.49 per frame

TechPowerUp used the following common games (games which weren't used on all cards listed were eliminated from totals) in their test suite: Alan Wake, AvP, Batman Arkham City, BF3, BattleForge, COD4, Civilization 5, Crysis. Crysis 2, Dirt 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, Metro 2033, Stalker CoP, Starcraft 2, Shogun 2, Skyrim, WoW

The GTX 670 costs $400 and scores 1157.3 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.35 per frame
The GTX 670D CII costs $420 and scores 1265.3 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.33 per frame
The 7970 costs $420 and scores 1191.8 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.35 per frame
The 7970 DCII costs $430 and scores 1303.0 fps which results in a "bang for the buck" of $0.33 per frame

As far as the 7970 having an OC'ing edge, i'm not seeing it

Max Stable OC on Asus 670 TOP gets 9839 on 3DMark 11 .... that's a 5% advantage over the Ghz Edition and 4 % over the 7970 Lightning
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-dire...

Max Stable OC on 7970 GH Edition gets 9403 on 3DMark 11
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-editio...

Max Stable OC on MSI 7970 Lighning gets 9449 on 3DMark 11
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-hd-7970-lightn...

When all is said and done, I'm in agreement with this review.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

With the power, heat ,noise and feature advantages, I have an easy time picking the 670 over the 7970 at 1920 x 1200 ...... At 2560 x 1600, ya have to weight the 7970's performance advantage over the 670's power, heat ,noise and feature advantages . The power and heat issues can be handled easy enough so it comes down to the extra performance of the 7970 at this resolution versus the loss of PhysX ..... and as much as I enjoyed the PhysX and 3D on Batman AC, I'd go with the 670 ...... if ya not that impressed by PhysX and 3D, ya'd have to go with the 7970 at 2560 x 1600.

I found a new site I am gonna start using for tabulating figures .... very detailed info on each test and lots of criteria including 5760 x 1080:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2725/9/nvidia-geforce-g...

Damn, after reading this comment, you made my mind go close to the 670. Thanks for taking the time to researching and sharing it on my post. Appreciated man.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 7:06:35 AM

Damn, I did not expect to get this many replies :'). This is probably my first time. Thanks guys. Hope to one day be like you guys and have a good gaming computer based argument.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 7:08:01 AM

Yeah I was originally going with the 7950. Like some you guys said, the 7950 overclocked can be as good as the 7970. But then I decided to invest more on the GPU and I think the 670 FTW is right for me. I'm just hoping that the 670 will, maybe, get 30$ cheaper or more. Lol you guys sound like reference cards are not good. I did some research on reference cards. I guess I don't like them also. And you guys are telling me to get a non-reference card if I choose the 7970, and most of them seem out of my MAX budget for the GPU (which is 400$ right now).
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 7:19:20 AM

jonathanyu96 said:
Yeah I was originally going with the 7950. Like some you guys said, the 7950 overclocked can be as good as the 7970. But then I decided to invest more on the GPU and I think the 670 FTW is right for me. I'm just hoping that the 670 will, maybe, get 30$ cheaper or more. Lol you guys sound like reference cards are not good. I did some research on reference cards. I guess I don't like them also. And you guys are telling me to get a non-reference card if I choose the 7970, and most of them seem out of my MAX budget for the GPU (which is 400$ right now).
lol sorry i didn't mean to come off as the EVGA FTW 670 was not good it is just my friend has it and i find it runs hotter and is a little loud other then that i think it's a great card :) 
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 9:44:48 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Since you're the one with the issue regarding sources .... link please.

And we talking "bang for the buck" so factor in the $100 cost of the 450 and the argument falls apart.


I don't need to give you a link showing that the 7950 with a GTS 450 (more than enough for even a greater card) beats a 670 without a discrete card backing it up too. That's a given because the 7950/7970 already outperform the 670 most of the time when overclocked and letting the GTS 450 handle PhysX so tyhat the 7950 and CPU don't have too means that it doesn't lose performance from PhysX whereas the 670 does.

The 7950 is already able to meet or beat the 670 with PhysX disabled. The GTS 450 is more than enough to handle PhysX as a dedicated PhysX card for the 7900 and top GTX 600 cards. The 7950 can then run PhysX without a significant performance hit whereas the 670 takes a significant performance hit do to not having a second card to run the PhysX for it. The 7950 solution would also be similar in price if you get a well-priced 7950 and a well-priced GTS 450.

Regardless, I'll look for links that show a 7950 with a GTS 450 or a similar Nvidia graphics card running PhysX, but I haven't found any yet. Such benchmarks that I've found are mostly with the Radeon 4000, 5000, and 6000 series. It's not a surprise given how few modern DX11 games use PhysX, let alone use it well.

You're also wrong about the new drivers not making a difference. Pick any review site and they actually show that the new drivers do make a pretty significant difference. I don't know how you could have gotten anything saying otherwise and where you got it from. The same is true for what I've said about overclocking and such.

You're seriously in agreement with a review from May?! It's old and outdated. As far as I can tell, you're just sticking with old reviews just because you don't want to accept the new ones.

How many people buy what card doesn't change what the cards can do. Most people are ignorant about any of this and that includes even most gamers. There's also the fact that Nvidia is simply a more popular company and that unlike AMD, during the time that Nvidia was around, they were competing with AMD's GCN cards whereas for months, AMD was competing with Nvidia's Fermi cards. That head start was almost useless given that Nvidia came in with the 680 at a lower price point (nothing wrong with that) and AD's head start meant many people waited to see wat Nvidia had in store. AMD's then poor drivers didn't do them any good either and AMD is still hurting from that backlash (with good reason, but still). Sure, AMD should have had better drivers either at release or at least within a month or two, but they are better now and have been for a while. That's what's important right now, not how bad the drivers were before Catalyst 12.6 and up.

That so many reviews made out the difference between the 7970 and the 680 to be huge back then and when the 670 launches at similar performance to both cards, just slightly under the 680, the difference is no longer considered huge (this is still before AMD fixed their drivers) sure didn't help AMD's sales either. It was a load of crap that it happened.

Heat and power consumption between the 7970 and the 670 are a decent argument. Noise, however, with good coolers, not so much. Even then, power consumption is not so much worse (things even out a lot more with overclocking) and the heat generation is not so much worse either.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 10:36:07 AM

Drivers are everything.

Anyways there is no need to really get bigger than a HD 7850 which can overclock to 1250mhz and at the high clocks will play all current titles maxed out and with maxed eye candy to boot. If you want more gusto then the HD 7870 I would regard as the normative standard for highest end gaming now anything more is overkill/user preference.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 2:07:26 PM

The 670 FTW is a reference style card. The PCB is based on the 680. Nothing wrong with it but it does run a little hotter than non reference. As for them going $30 cheaper, especially the FTW, good luck on that lol. I waited weeks just to see if the FTW would drop at least 10 bucks and it did not..so I found my 7970 which I was able to get for cheaper due to the deal it was having.
m
0
l
!