Sign in with
Your question

Graphics cards compatible with my desktop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 9:22:53 PM

Hi,
I was wondering what graphic cards would be compatible with my desktop. Turns out my current one, an Intel g33/31 express chipset family, can't run Skyrim :(  so I need to get a new one that won't totally fry my computer or anything.
Here are my desktop's specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista
System Manufacturer: HP- Pavilion
System Model: NP 191AA-ABA p6120f
Processor: Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU E6300 @2.80 GHz, ~2.8 GHz
Memory: 8182 mb RAM
The info on the Graphics Card that I have currently:

Intel g33/31 express chipset family
Chip Type: Intel (R) GMA 3100
Approx. Total Memory: 286 mb

Thanks in advance!!

a c 291 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 9:40:35 PM

I'll need some more info.

1. What is the size of your pc case? Inches or centimeters; height, length and width.
2. What is the current power supply (brand and model). If you know don't know where to look, open up the PC case and check the label of a box that looks like this:

If you cannot understand what's written on the label, take a photo of it and upload it to www.imageshack.us, just remember to select "Do not resize option".

3. What is your budget?

Once you answer these questions, I will be able to recommend you a suitable card :) .
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:10:22 PM

^
That isn't a good recommendation. GT 630 is very weak card. It's expensive for the performance it yields too. Rest of his PC is more than enough for gaming. My friend has Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz and he purchased GTX 560 along with a new power supply unit, and he can play most games on maximum settings today...
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:11:43 PM

Well, personally I don't keep know the size and inside of every model there is. Enlighten me if you do!
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
September 2, 2012 10:12:01 PM

He said his model number which says his psu and form factor. The only question that needs to be asked is what is your budget?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:17:16 PM

If you do upgrade that CPU will be a big fat bottleneck in most games with a lot of GPU's.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:18:38 PM

Sunius said:
^
That isn't a good recommendation. GT 630 is very weak card. It's expensive for the performance it yields too. Rest of his PC is more than enough for gaming. My friend has Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz and he purchased GTX 560 along with a new power supply unit, and he can play most games on maximum settings today...

+1, congrats on the promotion btw !
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:20:59 PM

Sunius said:
Well, personally I don't keep know the size and inside of every model there is. Enlighten me if you do!

250-watt power supply (100 - 240V ~ 6A/3A, 50/60Hz)

Case Dimensions:
15.25 x 6.9 x 16.1-inches (H x W x D, approximate)

Enlightend :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 10:28:27 PM

Sunius said:
^

It's a very weak pc. He's going to be tight for space for newer and longer cards. The interior of that case is laid out pretty weird. The PSU needs to be replaced and when all is said and done, he's still polishing a turd. May as well start from scratch and build a budget pc with brand new parts and get something decent.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 4:32:27 AM

Well, according to dimensions it's not really a small. You can fit a decent card in there for sure. We just need to find out his budget now. Thanks robjordy btw ;) .
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
September 3, 2012 5:15:39 AM

I always consult the almighty google for specifics because it's all knowing. https://www.google.com/ If it doesn't know the answer then it doesn't exist.

It's a regular mid tower size/layout. He's only looking to play skyrim by the looks of it and that it can do. If he's just asking for a gpu upgrade, I assume he doesn't want to spend the money for a whole new pc. I'm thinking a 7770 or 550ti.
m
l
!