Sign in with
Your question

Problem with grapihcs cards on pre assembled computers.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 10:50:25 PM

So I want to buy a cheapish prebuilt gaming computer under 800 dollars. The thing i notice is that even if the processor is an intel I7, the graphics card will be the integrated Hd 4000 or whatever. Until you get into the 1000 dollar range you won't get a better graphics card. I would settle for an I5 but all the computers that I've seen with an I5 still have HD3000 or Hd4000 graphics card. Now here's all i ask; is there a prebuilt computer out there with at least an I5 processor or better and a good graphics card that can run Skyrim HL2 etc. on decent graphics for under $800? I'm not maxing out my graphics here, I just want middle of the road settings. Thanks.
September 2, 2012 11:17:20 PM

slayersaiez said:
So I want to buy a cheapish prebuilt gaming computer under 800 dollars. The thing i notice is that even if the processor is an intel I7, the graphics card will be the integrated Hd 4000 or whatever. Until you get into the 1000 dollar range you won't get a better graphics card. I would settle for an I5 but all the computers that I've seen with an I5 still have HD3000 or Hd4000 graphics card. Now here's all i ask; is there a prebuilt computer out there with at least an I5 processor or better and a good graphics card that can run Skyrim HL2 etc. on decent graphics for under $800? I'm not maxing out my graphics here, I just want middle of the road settings. Thanks.

Why don't you just buy the cheaper one with the i5 and then buy the graphics card seperatly? If it's because you're scared of opening your PC then let me tell you how simple it is... Just slide it into the PCI slot and close the case lol.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:22:34 PM

xxaamxx135 said:
Why don't you just buy the cheaper one with the i5 and then buy the graphics card seperatly? If it's because you're scared of opening your PC then let me tell you how simple it is... Just slide it into the PCI slot and close the case lol.

Ok thanks man I know it didn't take a genius to change one but I also didn't know it was that simple. Is there any graphics card you would recommend?
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 11:25:13 PM

well how much is the pc with the i5? and what is your spending limit?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 11:29:08 PM
September 2, 2012 11:29:13 PM

xxaamxx135 said:
well how much is the pc with the i5? and what is your spending limit?

The ones I'm looking at range from 550-650 and my limit is $800.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:40:26 PM

xxaamxx135 said:
Ya proximon has the right idea by building it but the build could possibly be better. Are you afraid of putting it together? you can get help but I promise it's easy. It's just plugging stuff in lol.

Ya I think I'll just go with building it.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:40:57 PM

Ya proximon has the right idea by building it but the build could possibly be better. Are you afraid of putting it together? you can get help but I promise it's easy. It's just plugging stuff in lol.
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:02:21 AM

The Intel HD graphics are onboard graphics, the ones sticking out of the motherboard itself. So you can buy the prebuilt if you want and stick maybe a Radeon HD 7770 for about 110. The 7770 is the newish mid level card but plays D3 and toms says itll play GW2 on the best apperance setting smoothly on HD7770 + i5 setup, which what i have btw. Also if you want to wait on a dedicated graphics card the intel HD 4000 graphics (onboard) plays D3 on mid settings smoothly.
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:40:08 AM

how about this? you can OC the CPU if you want to.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 1:06:09 AM

xxaamxx135 said:

Be careful about doing this because these pre-built computers have shitty power supplies that won't support a decent graphics card, also the case may be too small and you definitely won't be able to overclock the cpu.

Best bet is to build it yourself, or if you don't want to get your hands dirty order a custom made computer
m
l
September 3, 2012 1:15:42 AM

I'm sorry, Overclocked toaster is correct. Although I would hope you did research on the computer to make sure you can add another video card :p  But yes, building yourself is the best way imo. You know all of your parts so its easier to diagnose your PC. You also learn a lot if it's your first time.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 1:50:47 AM

You will need an operating system and the Cooler Master 550W PSU is very poor. Here is the review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

"Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W burned while we tried to pull 550 W from it at high temperatures.
Efficiency was always below 80%, varying between 73.2% and 77.5%, depending on the load."

Please see the PSU guide linked in my sig. You always want to know exactly what kind of power supply you are using or recommending.

m
l
September 3, 2012 2:06:59 AM

Proximon said:
You will need an operating system and the Cooler Master 550W PSU is very poor. Here is the review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

"Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W burned while we tried to pull 550 W from it at high temperatures.
Efficiency was always below 80%, varying between 73.2% and 77.5%, depending on the load."

Please see the PSU guide linked in my sig. You always want to know exactly what kind of power supply you are using or recommending.

Well i mean... it couldve just been that specific psu that they had. And if he bought a prebuilt it probably would have came with a worse psu. But if you know for a fact that it is bad then I guess you;re right. And my bad about the OS. I just assumed.... lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 2:33:04 AM

Professional reviewers always seek to determine if they got a bad sample. It's not really needed in this case as the entire line of Extreme Power Plus has failed review after review. In addition, Cooler Master has deliberately lied about many PSUs, claiming wattages that they were never designed to deliver.

Other Cooler master PSU series that are poor or bad:
GX (mixed bag)
Elite Power (more junk)

Cooler Master does sell some good PSUs. Anything with Silent Pro in the name is probably at least OK, but is never recommended because of price and because of their unethical business practices.
m
l
!