Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Battlefield 3 Gaming Pc Build, Need Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 29, 2012 10:59:18 PM

I have never built a computer before, and I am looking to build one just for Battlefield 3. I have been all over the internet asking people how much money they think it would take at least to build a computer for BF3. I've gotten various price ranges and just found this site. I want to learn how to build a pc, which is why I don't want to buy a pre-built. Also, because I heard you get more bang for your buck if you build a custom pc rather then purchase a pre-built.
My budget is $575..I know..from what I heard it's really not much..But understand I don't want maximum graphics, medium is fine, and I'm no profesional gamer god so I don't need to record my gameplay and stuff.
However, I don't want interference with my gameplay, I don't want a high end computer, but I want one that can run the game just fine without any issues whatsoever.
Here is the info:

Approximate Purchase Date: To be honest, I'm not totally sure. I'm guessing late 2012 (December, Maybe January 2013).

Budget Range: $500-$600 I would really prefer something under $575

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Battlefield 3. I would also like to be able to run teamspeak 3 which is a voice chat program so you can communicate via microphone chat while gaming. Video Games Only.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Any side info/suggestions/knowledge would be greatly appreciated and is extremely encouraged.

Thank you!


Best solution

October 30, 2012 12:03:36 AM

This is about as close as I can get for BF3, which favours nVidia, given the budget. It would be nice to have some things, a bit better, but can't be done in budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $595.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

These are approx benchmarks for reference GTX660. You should get these figures, hopefully slightly better.
<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660 /a>
Share
October 30, 2012 1:07:47 AM

this wont game as well as malbluff's rig but is cheaper and has windows and all that
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lRwG

id also suggest getting something like a hyper 212 evo to overclock the CPU and intergrated GPU for more performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 1:25:36 AM

485!? Are you kidding me? That would be amazing..but do you think it would really run decently? I wish there was a site where you could plugin specs and see how well it would run on the game..is there one?
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 1:28:55 AM

OH wait...you forgot the video card..
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 1:31:39 AM

poisonid said:
OH wait...you forgot the video card..


no i didnt. the intergrated graphics will allow you to play at medium settings. maybe medium-high if you overclock the CPu and on board GPU
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 1:39:57 AM

TheBigTroll said:
no i didnt. the intergrated graphics will allow you to play at medium settings. maybe medium-high if you overclock the CPu and on board GPU

Maybe with aa turned off. But that shouldn't be much of a problem. Amd integrated gpu's are awesome, eh?
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 2:05:37 AM

yep. intels cant even max out MW3.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 2:26:19 AM

The integrated graphics on A10 are certainly much better than the integrated graphics of i3, even the HD4000 of i3-3225, agreed; but run BF3 on even the best integrated graphics, even at modest settings, and 720p. Someone's a bit optimistic. This is the only benchmark I can find, for A10, on BF3, maybe cos it's hardly playable. <a http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/A10-5800K-vs-Cor... /a>.

If you add a HD6670 to both A10 and an i3, the i3 beats the A10, in most games, so this is comparing, lets be generous, HD7750 and the GTX660, I suggested, should give a comparason, between A10 (being generous), to GTX660.<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/535?vs=660 /a>.

I appreciate it isn't possible to draw any accurate figures, from comparasons, like this, but they would need to be ridiculously inaccurate, for A10 to reach half the frame rates as i3+GTX660.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 3:01:06 AM

Avoid, the i3(any dual core for that matter), at least if you plan on playing online. 64 players on a map causes problems with dual cores, you can get some bad fps drops in busy areas. Avoid the A-10 as well, APU's/IGP are improving but its still not quite there.
I'm assuming, since you didn't tell us otherwise you need a valid copy of Windows. If have a spare key, up the graphics to AMD 7850 2gb. Total should run right around 600 dollars.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Iastfan112/saved/#savedbui...

The exact parts and pieces you'll choose will, of course, depend on whats on sale at that particular point. In the system I chose, the graphics card is the piece most in need of an upgrade, if you could swing the extra ~60 dollars for a 7850 I'd strongly recommend it.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 3:39:41 AM

yep you need quad core for bf3 multiplayer
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:44:24 AM

cbag said:
yep you need quad core for bf3 multiplayer

Which is why I said, it really could do with more. I could up my build, to a basic i5, or a basic quad AMD, but then you have the problem of fitting a suitable graphics card, in the budget. BF3 favours nVidia, so GPU could be dropped to GTX650Ti, I suppose, or you could go down to HD7850, which would have similar performance in BF3, but wouldn't really recommend going any further, although how far you can go depends on OP's monitor resolution, which would be handy to know.
i3 and reasonable nVidia, is, at least, one of the better solutions, given the budget, and I concede it would struggle, with a large number of players, in multi-player role, but then so would i5, if it had to be coupled, with anything less than GTX650Ti/HD7850. The GOOD solutions all involve up-ing the budget, a bit.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 9:39:18 AM

well of course upping a bit at this price range means upping performance a lot
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:12:57 AM

I feel so bad not knowing a word you guys are saying lol..I feel like a foreigner...
So, let me ask the big question here. Which build should I go with? I mean..the lower the cost is really preferable of course, so if the $485 build would do it, I'll do it. But if the 1st build posted by mal is 5x's better, I guess I'd rather go with that one. Also, I don't understand what overclock means, I've heard of it. What does it mean and how do I do it?
Thanks again for all the info and help, I really appreciate it.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:33:37 AM

poisonid said:
I feel so bad not knowing a word you guys are saying lol..I feel like a foreigner...
So, let me ask the big question here. Which build should I go with? I mean..the lower the cost is really preferable of course, so if the $485 build would do it, I'll do it. But if the 1st build posted by mal is 5x's better, I guess I'd rather go with that one. Also, I don't understand what overclock means, I've heard of it. What does it mean and how do I do it?
Thanks again for all the info and help, I really appreciate it.

Overclocking is like tweaking the engine to go faster. It's risky but worth-while. Keep in mind only these chips from Intel overclock: i5 2500k/2550k/3570k, i7 2600k/2700k/3770k/3820/3930k/3960x. purchasing a chip older than Sandy Bridge on the Intel side is stupid.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:57:25 AM

poisonid said:
I feel so bad not knowing a word you guys are saying lol..I feel like a foreigner...
So, let me ask the big question here. Which build should I go with? I mean..the lower the cost is really preferable of course, so if the $485 build would do it, I'll do it. But if the 1st build posted by mal is 5x's better, I guess I'd rather go with that one. Also, I don't understand what overclock means, I've heard of it. What does it mean and how do I do it?
Thanks again for all the info and help, I really appreciate it.

To sum up then. The best performance, in BF3, in single player, with a 1080p monitor, within budget, is my initial build, with i3 and GTX660. However BF3 multiplayer benefits from the higher number of cores in i5, or some AMDs. In order to use a quad core, because, whichever way you go, as it costs more, you either have to increase budget, or go with a less potent graphics card, or both (may be a sensible compromise). However, if you spend the same, or only slightly more, whilst you will improve performance, in multi-player, you will reduce performance, in single player modes.
If you are only using a low resolution monitor (say 720p), that may not be a huge issue, as you will still get good frame rates, at that resolution.
You can use something like AMD Trinity, without a graphics card, which is a cheap solution, but performance, in BF3, would be very modest.
Overclocking is basically adjusting the settings of GPU, and some CPUs (if suitable), to increase performance. It used to be a bit of a "black art", but is very simple these days, using motherboard's and GPU's software.
To give you some idea of where you are, I put this together, as what I would regard as a minimum build for your needs, using i5 (for multi-player), and a reasonable GPU (for decent single player @ 1080p)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $643.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

That will be better in multi-player, but not quite, as good, in single player. These benchmarks, whilst not totally accurate, give an indication of the performance change, in single player, from my original build.
<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=660 /a>
If your monitor is only something like 720p, you could drop gpu, to a HD7770, which would get you close to budget, and BF3 would still be playable, at a reasonable standard.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 1:49:34 PM

i really like malbluff build , if you want a build specially for bf3 you should pick nvidia gpu they are always has the superiority in bf3 , also the i3 3220 hyper threading will be a positive thing.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 1:55:37 PM

mrdowntownkiller said:
i really like malbluff build , if you want a build specially for bf3 you should pick nvidia gpu they are always has the superiority in bf3 , also the i3 3220 hyper threading will be a positive thing.

Yes. The problem is, whilst i3 and GTX660 would be best, by far, for single player, with numerous players, in multi, you really need Quad core, and i5 and GTX660 is way over budget. I'd go down a step GPU wise, to GTX650Ti, but it isn't very good. Actually, HD7850, in spite of BF3's nVidia bias, is slightly better, with it, than GTX650Ti, and miles better in most other games.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 2:34:45 PM

Poisionid,

A couple thoughts from someone who build his 1st computer in June 2012.

1. Malbluff's I5 build is the best answer
2. Except I would put in a i5-3570k (capable of overclocking)
3. Add a Cooler Master 212 air cooler for the CPU
4. Don't forget Windows 7 (+$100)

This is over your budget. However, with diligent shopping on Amazon, Newegg, PCpartpicker, Tigerdirect and Microcenter you could get close to $650 after rebates.

Microcenter's have great CPU and Motherboard specials - but you have to go to thestore to pick up.

Also, for the build itself. Youtube "newegg computer build" parts 2&3. It's a step by step computer build including windows 7 install. Set aside a day for the build. Take your time.

Good Luck! It's fun but can be frustating if you are pushed for time.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 3:01:33 PM

Agreed, OC of CPU would be nice. Trouble is budget, haven't worked it out, exactly, but, by the time you've spent more on CPU, added cooler, and upgraded mobo, it would be well over $700. As mentioned, with a bit of clever shopping, it may get down below $700, but would still, I suspect, be $100 over budget. Just think, if something has to be sacrificed, OC is the least important.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 3:25:04 PM

For the best performance using all of your budget, the i5 based builds are probably the best. But the A10 build *can* play BF3 multiplayer, if you aren't picky about resolution. Don't take our word for it, watch some gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-caVy2WVUI shows it to be approx 30FPS in multiplayer at 1360x768 with something in between medium & high settings. If you make sure you buy 1866 RAM, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or other aftermarket cooler and overclock you probably can beat this video slightly.
That isn't fantastic, but it is way better than Xbox 360 performance and lots of people enjoy BF3 on Xbox.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 3:29:03 PM

odiervr said:
Poisionid,

A couple thoughts from someone who build his 1st computer in June 2012.

1. Malbluff's I5 build is the best answer
2. Except I would put in a i5-3570k (capable of overclocking)
3. Add a Cooler Master 212 air cooler for the CPU
4. Don't forget Windows 7 (+$100)

This is over your budget. However, with diligent shopping on Amazon, Newegg, PCpartpicker, Tigerdirect and Microcenter you could get close to $650 after rebates.

Microcenter's have great CPU and Motherboard specials - but you have to go to thestore to pick up.

Also, for the build itself. Youtube "newegg computer build" parts 2&3. It's a step by step computer build including windows 7 install. Set aside a day for the build. Take your time.

Good Luck! It's fun but can be frustating if you are pushed for time.


telling someone what is the best answer just makes other people who want to help, a bit demoted. his build is pretty good but there are spots that could be changed around such as the ram.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 3:29:04 PM

malbluff said:
Yes. The problem is, whilst i3 and GTX660 would be best, by far, for single player, with numerous players, in multi, you really need Quad core, and i5 and GTX660 is way over budget. I'd go down a step GPU wise, to GTX650Ti, but it isn't very good. Actually, HD7850, in spite of BF3's nVidia bias, is slightly better, with it, than GTX650Ti, and miles better in most other games.

i know what are you talking about but you know i had tried it myself at a friend house he has the i3 2120 and 560ti and i was playing in a pretty big map with 64 players and i wasnt lagging at all its not even "playable" actually its good , i understand your point and i know the that i5 with the quad core will perform much better but i just told you what i have been tried..
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 5:00:40 PM

mrdowntownkiller said:
i know what are you talking about but you know i had tried it myself at a friend house he has the i3 2120 and 560ti and i was playing in a pretty big map with 64 players and i wasnt lagging at all its not even "playable" actually its good , i understand your point and i know the that i5 with the quad core will perform much better but i just told you what i have been tried..

Tell us about the quality settings and what framerates. Because personally in Multiplayer I would like 45+ FPS. In SP however.. 30FPS bumps aren't an issue. Thanks anyways!
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 6:08:15 PM

TheBigTroll said:
telling someone what is the best answer just makes other people who want to help, a bit demoted. his build is pretty good but there are spots that could be changed around such as the ram.

Good point. I hadn't spotted that RAM 1.65v This would be better, and low profile (what I meant to select, but didn't)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $39.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 7:53:49 PM

I like the build, however $650 is over budget. For the time reference I gave on when I'm most likely going to purchase the computer, I won't have that kind of money to build a computer. Really, $600 is cutting it, and I don't even want to spend $575. I know the best choice would be to back off and wait a while till I can make the purchase, but with Bf3 being out this much, I'd like to get into it. Especially if there is a build out there to suit my needs. I really like your 1st build you gave (1st reply to this thread). So I think I will most likely go with that build.
I appreciate all the held and feedback, great website. You guys sure know your stuff.
Take care, thanks again.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:38:20 PM

ProVisionOman said:
Tell us about the quality settings and what framerates. Because personally in Multiplayer I would like 45+ FPS. In SP however.. 30FPS bumps aren't an issue. Thanks anyways!

i wasn't able to know the FPS cuz i wasn't running fraps or other programs , but am sure that it wasn't lagging at all , and about the resolution he has a samsung 1080p ( cant remember the model)
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 9:28:56 PM

poisonid said:
I like the build, however $650 is over budget. For the time reference I gave on when I'm most likely going to purchase the computer, I won't have that kind of money to build a computer. Really, $600 is cutting it, and I don't even want to spend $575. I know the best choice would be to back off and wait a while till I can make the purchase, but with Bf3 being out this much, I'd like to get into it. Especially if there is a build out there to suit my needs. I really like your 1st build you gave (1st reply to this thread). So I think I will most likely go with that build.
I appreciate all the held and feedback, great website. You guys sure know your stuff.
Take care, thanks again.

I don't have BF3, myself (one for the future) so I can't really check multi-player needs, and can't find any benchmarks, covering multi-player. There is no doubt that i3 won't be ideal, in mp, although difficult to judge HOW FAR short of ideal, so it's a bit of a "judgement call" you will have to make yourself. At least the comments, on the thread, give you "something to go on".
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 9:57:54 PM

Thought of this possible option (from a build I was doing for someone), which may solve some issues.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $581.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

To be honest, have no experience with this card. It is only a 1GB version. A 2GB version would perform well, only slightly below the HD7850. I have no idea whether it being only 1GB would further, significantly drop you from HD7850 performance, but at least around budget. Hopefully someone with more knowledge, on the effect of 1GB, can advise.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:53:13 PM

well you do now that nvidia has their new drivers as well right. the 310.xx is supposed to give you up to 15% performance gains
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:54:48 PM

Iastfan112 said:
Note:
BF3 doesn't really favor Nvidia anymore. AMD's most recent set of drivers saw some rather large % gains in BF3.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

Interesting.
It does, actually, coincidentally answer my last question. Forget my "possible" idea of using HD6870. Whilst it would give reasonable performance, it would actually be less than with GTX650Ti, so if trying to cut cost the 650Ti would appear the least bad option, plus OP would be able to stick with original PSU, from HD7850 build. Would look like this.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $589.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I think that's the nearest we're going to get, to budget, and maintain reasonable performance, for both single, and multi-player.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:53:09 AM

Thanks again, I'll start getting ready to order it. Any information I should know with that last build ie overclocking and stuff?
What issues do you think I might run into, if any?
Think it will run decently on medium for bf3?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:06:30 AM

malbluff said:
Interesting.
It does, actually, coincidentally answer my last question. Forget my "possible" idea of using HD6870. Whilst it would give reasonable performance, it would actually be less than with GTX650Ti, so if trying to cut cost the 650Ti would appear the least bad option, plus OP would be able to stick with original PSU, from HD7850 build. Would look like this.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $589.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I think that's the nearest we're going to get, to budget, and maintain reasonable performance, for both single, and multi-player.


price match the i5 to get free shipping at us.ncix

omg. change the ram to what i suggested.

you are better off with a radeon 7850. the 650ti is not worth the money if you ask me. performs like a 560ish

antec one is a MUCH better case than that coolermaster


technically, if you got a 7870/7850 and a i3, it would game better than a i5 + a 650ti anyday no matter if its multi-player or single since the graphics card is the main driving force.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:15:10 AM

I'm surprised that no one has suggested the new Piledrivers, FX-4300 Quad Core, FX-6300 Six Core and the Octo Core (is that right? Octo = 8?)FX-8320 & FX-8350.

This is, unfortunately a single player benchmark. I'm sure multiplayer would tell a different tale.


m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:15:44 AM

why would you? it draws power like a hog (less than bulldozer but still takes a ton of power) and would perform around a i3.

and its not 4 cores
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:22:45 AM

I edited while you were replying, my apologies.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:53:37 AM

TheBigTroll said:
why would you? it draws power like a hog (less than bulldozer but still takes a ton of power) and would perform around a i3.

and its not 4 cores


Definitely for Battlefield 3 multiplayer, an FX-8320 or 8350 would be nothing close to an i3 - BF3 Multiplayer definitely is well threaded and will make use of all of the cores of the 8350. The problem with the FX-8320 or 8350's right now is that A) they are (or were last time I checked) selling over MSRP, and they use a lot of power. At a small discount to MSRP like you can usually find the intel processors, you'd be able to build a comparable to better system for BF3 for the same price. But you'd pay more in your power bill, and you'd not have the upgrade path you might if you bought say, a Z77 board and an i3 - AMD doesn't have anything that compares to an I7-3770k.
That's why at the right price the A10's make more sense vs intels at a similar price point - the power draw is much closer since the comparison is CPU only vs CPU + Discrete graphics card, and FM2 will ultimately have an upgrade path as well.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:48:34 AM

TheBigTroll said:
price match the i5 to get free shipping at us.ncix

omg. change the ram to what i suggested.

you are better off with a radeon 7850. the 650ti is not worth the money if you ask me. performs like a 560ish

antec one is a MUCH better case than that coolermaster


technically, if you got a 7870/7850 and a i3, it would game better than a i5 + a 650ti anyday no matter if its multi-player or single since the graphics card is the main driving force.

That was what I proposed earlier, til everyone said the i3 wouldn't work, in multiplayer. OP can't stretch budget, to i5 and 7870/50, so it was a case of least worse option. I still think my original (since change to lp ram), with i3 and GTX660 is best option for BF3, but since there don't seem to be any benches for multiplayer, have to be guided, by others, as I'm not running BF3 myself. If you are saying i3 OK, for multi player, the that, plus GTX660, or HD7870, has got to be the way to go, for BF3, specifically.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 9:16:08 AM

I have a system that has an i3- 530 and a Radeon 4870 and was playing on low and I had unexceptable drops in frames at times when there was a lot of players and action(frames in the mid 20's at times). Enemies would occasionally pop out of nowhere. As part of my new job I got a computer and went for a i5 2500k, plugged in the same graphics card and stayed in the upper 30's on medium.
Here's a good thread on the issue:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1654043

I really can't overemphasize this get a quad core for BF3 multiplayer. You'll be have a much smoother, happier playing experience, even if you have to give up a bit of graphical eye candy by downgrading a GPU. While not ideal I'd get a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... before I got an i3 in this case.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 10:45:26 AM

honestly, my friend played bf3 with a pentium e2200 with a 6870 and he played at ultra with no aa. with his i5 3570k, he played at ultra with 4x aa smoothly.

Iastfan112: the i3 could have been just bottlenecking the 4870, which was pretty powerful back then
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 11:16:59 AM

I trust many would agree, for a sub $700 budget, would be i5-3470 and either HD7870, or GTX660, for specifically BF3. Trouble is, budget isn't sub $700, it's sub $600, so it's a question of what can be cut, to get price down. Using i5-3450, HD7850, and cheap case, gets down to $650. I honestly don't see AMD as a preferred option, as you've either got to drop a LOT, in single thread performance, or use one that actually, when you take everything into account, costs MORE. A10 would be the cheapest option, but only if OP is going to be happy with it's, admittedly good, iGPU, but then, you've got no upgrade route. A10 doesn't work well, with a separate graphics card, in crossfire, and without crossfire, it's performance is lower, than Intel, without crossfire. What can you upgrade it to with FM2.
If you're going to go AMD, it's probably just as good to go with Phenomll x4 965BE, and overclock it, and have enough left, for a decent GPU, to go with it.
Otherwise, it's a case of which is better overall, an i3+decent GPU, or i5+lesserGPU. I would have thought the former, but I honestly don't know how much you will really lose, in multi-player, with a good i3.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:44:52 PM

One thing...Is the OP Gonna play Multiplayer or Singleplayer?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:46:31 PM

He Haven't really mentioned if he would play Multiplayer or Single player. So this debate is useless until we know. But I think he will be most likely gonna play Multiplayer MUCH more than Singleplayer. So the i5 option is better. Or even maybe an FX-6300.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:38:52 PM

I would PRESUME, from previous discussions, BOTH. If SP, there is no arguement; i3 and best possible GPU. Unfortunately, for MP, BEST is way over budget. Personally, I'd even prefer locked i5, to even 8 core Piledrive, not least because it's cheaper, and would allow for, at least, better GPU (even if not brilliant).
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 1:17:42 AM

If you're getting Battlefield 3 from the SP, you're a fool. The campaign is quite linear, generic, and short. The only reason I finished it was some latency and connectivity issues my ISP was having one week.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 5:15:44 PM

poisonid said:
I like the build, however $650 is over budget. For the time reference I gave on when I'm most likely going to purchase the computer, I won't have that kind of money to build a computer. Really, $600 is cutting it, and I don't even want to spend $575. I know the best choice would be to back off and wait a while till I can make the purchase, but with Bf3 being out this much, I'd like to get into it. Especially if there is a build out there to suit my needs. I really like your 1st build you gave (1st reply to this thread). So I think I will most likely go with that build.
I appreciate all the held and feedback, great website. You guys sure know your stuff.
Take care, thanks again.



poisonid....im new to this site like you...and new to the idea of building a computer, as you are. i hold the same idea that getting better bang for your buck than buying a prebuilt comp. HOWEVER....there is something you MAY not have considered in your wanting a new comp. there is NOTHING that says you HAVE to buy the particular component NOW. im assuming you have a computer that is working and while not fitting your particular needs AT THIS MOMENT....these guys DO know what theyre talking about. that said, if you go with a build that you like that requires a component that is not attainable at this particular moment...whats wrong with waiting a few day if you already have a computer that suits your basic necessities? you still get what you want overall.....just an opinion...you can take it for what its worth.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:16:22 PM

malbluff said:
Which is why I said, it really could do with more. I could up my build, to a basic i5, or a basic quad AMD, but then you have the problem of fitting a suitable graphics card, in the budget. BF3 favours nVidia, so GPU could be dropped to GTX650Ti, I suppose, or you could go down to HD7850, which would have similar performance in BF3, but wouldn't really recommend going any further, although how far you can go depends on OP's monitor resolution, which would be handy to know.
i3 and reasonable nVidia, is, at least, one of the better solutions, given the budget, and I concede it would struggle, with a large number of players, in multi-player role, but then so would i5, if it had to be coupled, with anything less than GTX650Ti/HD7850. The GOOD solutions all involve up-ing the budget, a bit.

Games like borderlands and bf3 are better on nVidia, but radeons beat at other programs and some games like skyrim, because of the the better gddr5 memory, for example, 7870 has 256 bit memory. The 660ti has 192 bit.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 11:56:52 PM

saber_wolf01 said:
poisonid....im new to this site like you...and new to the idea of building a computer, as you are. i hold the same idea that getting better bang for your buck than buying a prebuilt comp. HOWEVER....there is something you MAY not have considered in your wanting a new comp. there is NOTHING that says you HAVE to buy the particular component NOW. im assuming you have a computer that is working and while not fitting your particular needs AT THIS MOMENT....these guys DO know what theyre talking about. that said, if you go with a build that you like that requires a component that is not attainable at this particular moment...whats wrong with waiting a few day if you already have a computer that suits your basic necessities? you still get what you want overall.....just an opinion...you can take it for what its worth.


I have a laptop..lol..
m
0
l
!