Battlefield 3 Gaming Pc Build, Need Help

poisonid

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I have never built a computer before, and I am looking to build one just for Battlefield 3. I have been all over the internet asking people how much money they think it would take at least to build a computer for BF3. I've gotten various price ranges and just found this site. I want to learn how to build a pc, which is why I don't want to buy a pre-built. Also, because I heard you get more bang for your buck if you build a custom pc rather then purchase a pre-built.
My budget is $575..I know..from what I heard it's really not much..But understand I don't want maximum graphics, medium is fine, and I'm no profesional gamer god so I don't need to record my gameplay and stuff.
However, I don't want interference with my gameplay, I don't want a high end computer, but I want one that can run the game just fine without any issues whatsoever.
Here is the info:

Approximate Purchase Date: To be honest, I'm not totally sure. I'm guessing late 2012 (December, Maybe January 2013).

Budget Range: $500-$600 I would really prefer something under $575

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Battlefield 3. I would also like to be able to run teamspeak 3 which is a voice chat program so you can communicate via microphone chat while gaming. Video Games Only.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Any side info/suggestions/knowledge would be greatly appreciated and is extremely encouraged.

Thank you!

Solution
This is about as close as I can get for BF3, which favours nVidia, given the budget. It would be nice to have some things, a bit better, but can't be done in budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler...

malbluff

Honorable
This is about as close as I can get for BF3, which favours nVidia, given the budget. It would be nice to have some things, a bit better, but can't be done in budget.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $595.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

These are approx benchmarks for reference GTX660. You should get these figures, hopefully slightly better.
<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660 /a>

Solution

poisonid

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
485!? Are you kidding me? That would be amazing..but do you think it would really run decently? I wish there was a site where you could plugin specs and see how well it would run on the game..is there one?

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Maybe with aa turned off. But that shouldn't be much of a problem. Amd integrated gpu's are awesome, eh?

malbluff

Honorable
The integrated graphics on A10 are certainly much better than the integrated graphics of i3, even the HD4000 of i3-3225, agreed; but run BF3 on even the best integrated graphics, even at modest settings, and 720p. Someone's a bit optimistic. This is the only benchmark I can find, for A10, on BF3, maybe cos it's hardly playable. <a http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/A10-5800K-vs-Core-i3-3220-CPU-Review/1646/15 /a>.

If you add a HD6670 to both A10 and an i3, the i3 beats the A10, in most games, so this is comparing, lets be generous, HD7750 and the GTX660, I suggested, should give a comparason, between A10 (being generous), to GTX660.<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/535?vs=660 /a>.

I appreciate it isn't possible to draw any accurate figures, from comparasons, like this, but they would need to be ridiculously inaccurate, for A10 to reach half the frame rates as i3+GTX660.

Iastfan112

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Avoid, the i3(any dual core for that matter), at least if you plan on playing online. 64 players on a map causes problems with dual cores, you can get some bad fps drops in busy areas. Avoid the A-10 as well, APU's/IGP are improving but its still not quite there.
I'm assuming, since you didn't tell us otherwise you need a valid copy of Windows. If have a spare key, up the graphics to AMD 7850 2gb. Total should run right around 600 dollars.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Iastfan112/saved/#savedbuild_191900

The exact parts and pieces you'll choose will, of course, depend on whats on sale at that particular point. In the system I chose, the graphics card is the piece most in need of an upgrade, if you could swing the extra ~60 dollars for a 7850 I'd strongly recommend it.

malbluff

Honorable

Which is why I said, it really could do with more. I could up my build, to a basic i5, or a basic quad AMD, but then you have the problem of fitting a suitable graphics card, in the budget. BF3 favours nVidia, so GPU could be dropped to GTX650Ti, I suppose, or you could go down to HD7850, which would have similar performance in BF3, but wouldn't really recommend going any further, although how far you can go depends on OP's monitor resolution, which would be handy to know.
i3 and reasonable nVidia, is, at least, one of the better solutions, given the budget, and I concede it would struggle, with a large number of players, in multi-player role, but then so would i5, if it had to be coupled, with anything less than GTX650Ti/HD7850. The GOOD solutions all involve up-ing the budget, a bit.

poisonid

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I feel so bad not knowing a word you guys are saying lol..I feel like a foreigner...
So, let me ask the big question here. Which build should I go with? I mean..the lower the cost is really preferable of course, so if the $485 build would do it, I'll do it. But if the 1st build posted by mal is 5x's better, I guess I'd rather go with that one. Also, I don't understand what overclock means, I've heard of it. What does it mean and how do I do it?
Thanks again for all the info and help, I really appreciate it.

ProVisionOman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Overclocking is like tweaking the engine to go faster. It's risky but worth-while. Keep in mind only these chips from Intel overclock: i5 2500k/2550k/3570k, i7 2600k/2700k/3770k/3820/3930k/3960x. purchasing a chip older than Sandy Bridge on the Intel side is stupid.

malbluff

Honorable

To sum up then. The best performance, in BF3, in single player, with a 1080p monitor, within budget, is my initial build, with i3 and GTX660. However BF3 multiplayer benefits from the higher number of cores in i5, or some AMDs. In order to use a quad core, because, whichever way you go, as it costs more, you either have to increase budget, or go with a less potent graphics card, or both (may be a sensible compromise). However, if you spend the same, or only slightly more, whilst you will improve performance, in multi-player, you will reduce performance, in single player modes.
If you are only using a low resolution monitor (say 720p), that may not be a huge issue, as you will still get good frame rates, at that resolution.
You can use something like AMD Trinity, without a graphics card, which is a cheap solution, but performance, in BF3, would be very modest.
Overclocking is basically adjusting the settings of GPU, and some CPUs (if suitable), to increase performance. It used to be a bit of a "black art", but is very simple these days, using motherboard's and GPU's software.
To give you some idea of where you are, I put this together, as what I would regard as a minimum build for your needs, using i5 (for multi-player), and a reasonable GPU (for decent single player @ 1080p)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $643.09

That will be better in multi-player, but not quite, as good, in single player. These benchmarks, whilst not totally accurate, give an indication of the performance change, in single player, from my original build.
<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=660 /a>
If your monitor is only something like 720p, you could drop gpu, to a HD7770, which would get you close to budget, and BF3 would still be playable, at a reasonable standard.

malbluff

Honorable

Yes. The problem is, whilst i3 and GTX660 would be best, by far, for single player, with numerous players, in multi, you really need Quad core, and i5 and GTX660 is way over budget. I'd go down a step GPU wise, to GTX650Ti, but it isn't very good. Actually, HD7850, in spite of BF3's nVidia bias, is slightly better, with it, than GTX650Ti, and miles better in most other games.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Poisionid,

A couple thoughts from someone who build his 1st computer in June 2012.

1. Malbluff's I5 build is the best answer
2. Except I would put in a i5-3570k (capable of overclocking)
3. Add a Cooler Master 212 air cooler for the CPU
4. Don't forget Windows 7 (+$100)

This is over your budget. However, with diligent shopping on Amazon, Newegg, PCpartpicker, Tigerdirect and Microcenter you could get close to $650 after rebates.

Microcenter's have great CPU and Motherboard specials - but you have to go to thestore to pick up.

Also, for the build itself. Youtube "newegg computer build" parts 2&3. It's a step by step computer build including windows 7 install. Set aside a day for the build. Take your time.

Good Luck! It's fun but can be frustating if you are pushed for time.

malbluff

Honorable
Agreed, OC of CPU would be nice. Trouble is budget, haven't worked it out, exactly, but, by the time you've spent more on CPU, added cooler, and upgraded mobo, it would be well over $700. As mentioned, with a bit of clever shopping, it may get down below $700, but would still, I suspect, be $100 over budget. Just think, if something has to be sacrificed, OC is the least important.

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
For the best performance using all of your budget, the i5 based builds are probably the best. But the A10 build *can* play BF3 multiplayer, if you aren't picky about resolution. Don't take our word for it, watch some gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-caVy2WVUI shows it to be approx 30FPS in multiplayer at 1360x768 with something in between medium & high settings. If you make sure you buy 1866 RAM, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or other aftermarket cooler and overclock you probably can beat this video slightly.
That isn't fantastic, but it is way better than Xbox 360 performance and lots of people enjoy BF3 on Xbox.

telling someone what is the best answer just makes other people who want to help, a bit demoted. his build is pretty good but there are spots that could be changed around such as the ram.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

i know what are you talking about but you know i had tried it myself at a friend house he has the i3 2120 and 560ti and i was playing in a pretty big map with 64 players and i wasnt lagging at all its not even "playable" actually its good , i understand your point and i know the that i5 with the quad core will perform much better but i just told you what i have been tried..

ProVisionOman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Tell us about the quality settings and what framerates. Because personally in Multiplayer I would like 45+ FPS. In SP however.. 30FPS bumps aren't an issue. Thanks anyways!

malbluff

Honorable

Good point. I hadn't spotted that RAM 1.65v This would be better, and low profile (what I meant to select, but didn't)

Total: $39.99