Sign in with
Your question

Building new gaming computer - need help

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2012 11:36:18 PM

I've finally decided to build my first gaming computer instead of always buying them and need some help. I think I have the right parts picked out but need to make sure. I don't plan to overclock or sli/crossfire. I'll mainly be playing BF3, GW2, COD BO 2, Far Cry 3, and crysis 3. I'll be updating the hard drive to atleast 1 tb, upgrading the gpu, and putting in a ssd sometime later next year but for now will this work?

Heres what I have picked out so far : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lJcC

Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case

I need a suggestion on a good psu.

I have a few ??

- Is the i5 3470 fine if I'm not planning to overclock
- Is there a better motherboard for cheaper than what I have picked
- will the 7870 I have picked perform good for the games I want to play until I upgrade

Thanks and sorry for all the questions just want to get it right :) 
October 29, 2012 11:58:06 PM

You're supposed to ask questions - that's how you learn!

If you aren't going to overclock, that's probably a perfect CPU for you.

A z77 chipset is for a motherboard that you can overclock with - look at h77 boards.

That's a pretty good 7870, so yes. Normally I'd recommend overclocking it, but...

As for your power unit, go with a good brand - antek, corsair, seasonic, ocz, xfx, and a number of others. A 500w _should_ be enough for you, but that's a very rough estimate. One of the other forum members will probably correct me.
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:02:59 AM

Z77 mobos are overclockables, and your CPU isn't so get a H77. For GPU I don't know which brand is better but I've heard ASUS and SAPPHIRE to be the best. I would get a 600w PSU just in case for future upgrades.
m
l
!