Sign in with
Your question

Question for Computer Experts: "Factory Recovery" to Another Drive in the Comput

Last response: in Windows 7
February 19, 2012 3:11:23 AM

I've purchased a pretty high-end computer with a 65GB Solid State (C:)  drive (where Windows 7 was pre-installed) and a 2TB (D:)  drive. The problem is I completely ran out of space on drive (C:) ! Programs constantly stop working because of this and I can't update Windows. Before installing anything, I went into

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion"
then "ProgramFilesDir" and CommonFilesDir" and changed the values from "C:\Program Files" to "D:\Program Files"

to ensure that all programs that I installed were directed to drive (D:)  instead of (C:)  by default. I manually directed all programs that were still pointed to drive (C:)  to drive (D:) . Of course, I didn't store any installation files, docs, pictures, music, videos, etc on drive (C:) .

I've also went to Start, Run and cleared the "temp"and "%temp%" files to free space.

Support suggested to move the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86:) " files from drive (C:)  to drive (D:)  because they said programs may be installing twice, once on drive (C:)  and again on drive (D:) . I did, and now most programs stopped working. After much wasted time, I've now decided to cut my losses and do a "Factory Recovery". However, once I do it and begin installing all my programs (I'm a graphic designer, so I have a lot), drive (C:)  will just fill up again and I'll run into the same problem as before. My question is, is there any way to do a "Factory Recovery" but direct it to recover Windows to drive (D:)  and not use drive (C:)  at all? Or is there another way to move Windows to drive (D:) ? Is there maybe any way to lock drive (C:)  to prevent programs from filling it up and only allow Windows updated to install on it? I don't have a Windows 7 CD, so I can't install it on another drive that way. I do have a "System Repair Disc" that I created when I got the computer but I'm not sure how to use it or if it's possible at all or even a good option. I really prefer "Factory Recovery". Anyways, please help! I really need my computer for work! Thank you kindly.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 19, 2012 3:32:16 AM

If your recovery environment does let you direct the restore to another drive, it should give this option while in the recovery environment. If you don't see such an option, try contacting the manufacturer's support line to confirm whether you can do that.

Those recovery environments tend to be rather machine specific, so it's not likely anyone here could definitively say where to go to find what you're looking for.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 19, 2012 5:01:01 AM

I've been running a similar system for several months now, apart from Windows 7 (Installed from a disk) and Adobe, I just installed everything else on D instead of C when prompted during installation. I have managed to maintain about 12Gb free space on C so far. I wonder if your recovery files are on C, leaving you with less space to manoeuvre? Logically it would be more sensible to have put them on D.... in which case it might be more practical to simply increase your SSD to 120 Gb and sell your 65gig one on Ebay or even better keep it and use it to install your editing suites....
m
l
Related resources
!