trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
hello, im just wondering what the consequences would be if i switch from a acer p191w 18.5 inch to a 40 inch HDTV. I need to know if my gaming will be affected by the 75htz to the 60 htz downgrade for I do not know what 75hz or what have you means :na:. Also a 6790 should be able to cope with gaming on 1920X1080 right ?

Solution
yes technically i agree with you and you are right. The op wanted to know if there was going to be a compromise and there will be. Not slightly, but a whole lot.

Few frames might not be much on paper, but from my experience its quite a lot.

Have you played Trackmania? its quite a precise game, the driving techniques with power sliding requires precision timing and if you had to compensate as well for input lag, it will make things a whole lot more difficult.

You will learn of course in time to compensate, but why bother in the first place if you can do something about it?

I bought Samsung 32" lcd to be my initial display, thinking 32" would be big enough from where I’m sitting, didn’t know about input lag at the time. Playing...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have the tv yet?

Consider input lag from your keyboard/mouse being an issue if you buy led/lcd. Panels using liquid crystal no matter the improvements made over the years still don’t come close to the performance of plasma.

Each to their own i suppose, both tv types have their own pros and cons when used as a monitor.

All comes to personal preference but from my experience i like my controls matching the response i see on screen, especially in racing games. Lcds are horribly slow, even with all filters turned off.

Input lag should not be very large. We are talking about at most 3 frames of lag and it is usually less than that. There are 30 frames per second so at worse the input lag is 0.1 second. Basically whatever commands you make (moving, casting a spell, viewing your inventory) will take a fraction of a second before you actually see that action happen on the HDTV or monitor.

Some HDTVs may have more lag, but I'm pretty sure most HDTVs will have less than 3 frames of lag since that is considered somewhat high.

Anyone who plays games on a HDTV must deal with input lag. It's just how it is. However, I haven't any complaints about input lag from console players, so the lag must be small... or they are too dumb to notice it...

InvalidError

Titan

As long as latency is fairly consistent, the brain will subconsciously compensate most of it after a while and people stop noticing it. That's the whole premise behind the Wiimote and similar input methods where visual feedback makes the brain zero out the discrepancy between the physical orientation of the pointing device and on-screen representation. As long as the discrepancies, lag, etc. are consistent, the brain adjusts and most people do not really notice.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

I agree but only in regards to an lcd tv. Console players using lcds and not having anything else to compare with would probably not notice or they do, but for other reasons cant do anything about it and just deal with it.

Same with a pc gamer moving from a monitor to a tv. If it’s an lcd tv they will notice and if they’re any serious in gaming they will hate it.

I understand ps3's move or wiimote would probably be least affected peripherals used. It is however when using keyboard and mouse where precision is needed in any game, it will be tedious effort to adjust.

To op: Plasmas these days are pretty cheap and can even be cheaper than lcd/led. If you are looking in getting one, i recommend Panasonic. Very quick response times of less than 1ms that’s even faster than most monitors. They also have a game mode and today’s plasmas are very good with image burn and retention issues.

It’s up to you in the end, but letting you know what to expect, coming from a monitor you will notice lag with an lcd/led(lcd panel with led back light). Take it from me I’ve been down this road and plasma all the way.

InvalidError

Titan

Even when using keyboard and mouse, your brain still learns to compensate for cognitive lag, muscle lag, various degrees of force feedback and press/depress "lag" on the keyboard, mouse weight, sensitivity, acceleration settings, etc., the game+system+network's own input-to-output pipeline, etc. many of which are much greater than a few frames at 60fps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
yes technically i agree with you and you are right. The op wanted to know if there was going to be a compromise and there will be. Not slightly, but a whole lot.

Few frames might not be much on paper, but from my experience its quite a lot.

Have you played Trackmania? its quite a precise game, the driving techniques with power sliding requires precision timing and if you had to compensate as well for input lag, it will make things a whole lot more difficult.

You will learn of course in time to compensate, but why bother in the first place if you can do something about it?

I bought Samsung 32" lcd to be my initial display, thinking 32" would be big enough from where I’m sitting, didn’t know about input lag at the time. Playing Trackmania on it was a nightmare and so was Halflife 2 and would be the same for any fps game and probably wow too. Its like you're trying to move around in water and just more annoying than anything else.

I tried Trackmania on the lounge room tv which is a plasma to see the difference. The lcd ended up outside and bought a plasma 42", smallest sized at the time i could get and couldn’t be happier. If i knew i would have got that in the first place, which is why im typing all this to save op hassles. i dont mind :) even if he doesn’t go this route or already has an lcd tv.

All in all, plasma technology = zero input lag.

Solution