Care Maintenance and Finger Prints

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 16, 2005 4:55:37 AM

Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).

I ordered the camera kit online so no one was there to "sell" me a
cleaning kit. Maybe this is a good thing; I might have gotten the wrong
kit that way.

You pros, what do you use/recommend for camera and lens care and
maintenance?

Thanks much,
Avery A. Hise
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:56:10 AM

"Avery" <avery@ramblingsnail.net> wrote in message
> Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
> fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
> clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).

Do NOT allow a fingerprint to stay on your lens for any length of time.
Fingerprints have oils that will etch themselves into the glass.

Get a lens cleaning kit any local camera shop and clean the lens with
micro-fiber paper.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:10:46 AM

"Avery" <avery@ramblingsnail.net> wrote in message
> Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
> fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
> clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).

I also should warn you to stay away from eyeglass cleaners and other glass
cleaning solutions. They will remove the coatings from your lens. You would
be better off spitting on the lens and wiping it with your shirttail (don't
do that, either -- it works, but it is disgusting).

There are instructions in your lens manual for cleaning the lens, but here
they are again:

"The best way to clean a lens is to use a piece of lint free lens cleaning
tissue and a small amount of lens cleaning solution. Place a drop or two of
cleaner on the tissue (never directly onto the lens) and then wipe the lens
in a circular motion, removing any marks or smear. Additionally a smaller
blower brush can be used to simply blow off or brush away loose dust.

If the above supplies are not available a clean, dry, soft, lint free cloth
can be used to clean the lens.

The same method can be used to clean the viewfinder eyepiece of Nikon
cameras."
January 16, 2005 1:26:01 PM

In article <rMGdnX7Peo8BE3fcRVn-vg@wavecable.com>,
"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Do NOT allow a fingerprint to stay on your lens for any length of time.

Good advise. The best photo is taken with a truly CLEAN lens.

> Fingerprints have oils that will etch themselves into the glass.

Oh, C'MON! (I respectfully disagree.)

That has to be right "up there" with [Pepto-Bismol actually COATS the inside
of my stomach] advertising campaign of many years ago.

Given a lens of high optical quality, and a healthy, "normal" human being, I
suspect that body does not exude any substance capable of etching glass.

> Get a lens cleaning kit any local camera shop and clean the lens with
> micro-fiber paper.

More good advice. That reminds me, I have some gunk on my primary lens filter.

UF filter for protection: Should I, or should I not, use a (brand X) UV
filter to protect the front optic of my two EOS lenses?

What's the predominant practice these days?

(I *DO* have a [my lens was saved by a filter in a drop] story.)

:)
JR
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:26:02 PM

"Jim Redelfs" <jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote in message
> In article <rMGdnX7Peo8BE3fcRVn-vg@wavecable.com>,
> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do NOT allow a fingerprint to stay on your lens for any length of time.
>
> Good advise. The best photo is taken with a truly CLEAN lens.
>
> > Fingerprints have oils that will etch themselves into the glass.
>
> Oh, C'MON! (I respectfully disagree.)
>
> That has to be right "up there" with [Pepto-Bismol actually COATS the
inside
> of my stomach] advertising campaign of many years ago.
>
> Given a lens of high optical quality, and a healthy, "normal" human being,
> suspect that body does not exude any substance capable of etching glass.

You may suspect something, but that does not mean you have a clue. :-) To
the contrary, most experts say that fingerprints will etch themselves into
camera lenses, especially if the lens is exposed to UV light (which it is
unless you use it entirely in some sort of UV filtered closed room). Even a
cursory search of photographic web sites will turn up hundreds of warnings
about this. Also, I have seen it happen personally.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:18:53 PM

In article <7-2dnYSt97EdBXfcRVn-3g@wavecable.com>,
"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I suspect that body does not exude any
> > substance capable of etching glass.

> You may suspect something, but that
> does not mean you have a clue. :-)

Ouch! (truth hurts)

> fingerprints will etch themselves into
> camera lenses, especially if the lens is exposed to UV light (which it is
> unless you use it entirely in some sort of UV filtered closed room). Even a
> cursory search of photographic web sites will turn up hundreds of warnings
> about this. Also, I have seen it happen personally.

I'll get a clue and take your word for it. Danka.

:)
JR
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:04:24 PM

Avery wrote:
> Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
> fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
> clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).
>
> I ordered the camera kit online so no one was there to "sell" me a
> cleaning kit. Maybe this is a good thing; I might have gotten the wrong
> kit that way.
>
> You pros, what do you use/recommend for camera and lens care and
> maintenance?

Pros are sometimes scary and will use their cotton shirt to clean a lens.

A microfibre cloth (available in most photo stores) used in a circular
pattern is usually all you need. If something sticky gets on there then
a solvent like very small amounts of Kodak lens cleaner with lens
tissues is the way to go, followed by the microfibre cloth.

You should decide whether or not to put a filter on the front of the
lens to keep dirt/dust/grime off of the front element. (A UV filter is
the typical choice). I use them on my fat/shallow-hooded lenses, not on
my deeper hooded lenses. I sometimed remove them when shooting if the
conditions permit it (no water, dirt, dust flying around, no kiddies
with curious fingers, etc.)

Cheers,
Alan

January 16, 2005 8:02:34 PM

After you get the lens cleaned, place a UV or Skylight filter on the lens to
protect it. From that point on you can pretty much spit on the filter and
clean it with a soft cotton cloth. The lens is now protected from this
point on. If the filter gets destroyed just replace it. A lot cheaper than
replacing a broken lens.

"Avery" <avery@ramblingsnail.net> wrote in message
> Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
> fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
> clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).
>
> I ordered the camera kit online so no one was there to "sell" me a
> cleaning kit. Maybe this is a good thing; I might have gotten the wrong
> kit that way.
>
> You pros, what do you use/recommend for camera and lens care and
> maintenance?
>
> Thanks much,
> Avery A. Hise

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:23:08 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:38:22 -0800, "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

snipped

>You may suspect something, but that does not mean you have a clue. :-) To
>the contrary, most experts say that fingerprints will etch themselves into
>camera lenses, especially if the lens is exposed to UV light (which it is
>unless you use it entirely in some sort of UV filtered closed room). Even a
>cursory search of photographic web sites will turn up hundreds of warnings
>about this. Also, I have seen it happen personally.

Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
are a bit exaggerated at best. Logic refuses to allow me to wrap my
brain around it. Perhaps it started as a warning that residual oils
and etc. from dirty fingers may have an adverse effect on earlier less
robust lens coatings. I have dealt with some very strong industrial
acids and other etching compounds for several years. I also have
accidentally overlooked fingerprints for quite awhile on a lens with
absolutely no damage whatsoever. I have also never personally read
anything with empirical evidence in support of that belief. If such
evidence appears on line authored by a legitimate source I would
greatly appreciate a link. Thanks
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:23:09 AM

"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message

> Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
> have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
> are a bit exaggerated at best.

Chuck DeLaney, the dean of the New York Institute of Photography, says that
fingerprints will etch themselves into glass here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1114204A
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:56:21 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:57:25 -0800, "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
>> >

>> Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
>> have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
>> are a bit exaggerated at best.
>

>Chuck DeLaney, the dean of the New York Institute of Photography, says that
>fingerprints will etch themselves into glass here:
>
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1114204A

No he doesn't, unless I am missing something. He DOES mention the
coating as I had, in the part of my post that you chose to snip in
your reply. Besides, I asked for empirical evidence IE. capable of
being verified or disproved by observation or experiment. I really do
not want to get into a long drawn out discussion, but until it has
been proven to me, my experience disproves it and I do not think it
applies to today's coated lenses. While some oils CAN hurt certain
soft plastics, they cannot etch glass.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:46:26 AM

C J Campbell posted:

> "ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
> > >

> > Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
> > have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
> > are a bit exaggerated at best.
>

> Chuck DeLaney, the dean of the New York Institute of Photography, says that
> fingerprints will etch themselves into glass here:
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1114204A

He's not actually saying that the oil etches into the glass, but into
the coatings on the glass (also at risk from overzealous cleaning).
Anyway, you don't want to leave fingerprints on for very long, since
regardless of whether it's the coating or the actual glass, it can't be
"fixed."
--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos

ZONED! wrote:
> While some oils CAN hurt certain
> soft plastics, they cannot etch glass.

I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm sure I
remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern multi-coatings)
that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds) can grow in the oils from
a fingerprint and generate acids. It is one of the causes of damage to stone
buildings (the organisms, rather than fingerprints!).

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.
Anonymous

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:55:35 -0000, "Mike Coon"
<mjcoon@@connectfee.co.uk> wrote:

>ZONED! wrote:
>> While some oils CAN hurt certain
>> soft plastics, they cannot etch glass.
>
>I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm sure I
>remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern multi-coatings)
>that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds) can grow in the oils from
>a fingerprint and generate acids. It is one of the causes of damage to stone
>buildings (the organisms, rather than fingerprints!).
>
>Mike.
>--

I can grasp that but time and amout of buildup on old buildings seems
to be out of the same ballpark as fingerprints on lenses. Besides,
many acids (much much stronger than something coming off of my
fingers) are bottled in both plastics and glass. Strong hydrofluoric
acid is used to etch glass.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:33:04 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:55:35 -0000, "Mike Coon"
<mjcoon@@connectfee.co.uk> wrote:

>ZONED! wrote:
>> While some oils CAN hurt certain
>> soft plastics, they cannot etch glass.
>
>I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm sure I
>remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern multi-coatings)
>that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds) can grow in the oils from
>a fingerprint and generate acids. It is one of the causes of damage to stone
>buildings (the organisms, rather than fingerprints!).
>
>Mike.

Sodium chloride or common salt, the chemical compound NaCl, found in
perspiration. You dont think that drying on a lens is the problem by
any chance? It will I believe form an attatchment to glass which can
only be removed by abrasives. So the problem is not so much etching
but a cohesion of a moderately hard (2.5) crust to the surface.
An example is sea spray on a car windscreen which if left to dry
overtime will give the appearance and in fact the feel of being etched
into the glass but can be removed with a mild abrasive and a lot of
energy!
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:15:36 PM

Bruin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:55:35 -0000, "Mike Coon"
> <mjcoon@@connectfee.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> ZONED! wrote:
>>> While some oils CAN hurt certain
>>> soft plastics, they cannot etch glass.
>>
>> I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm
>> sure I remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern
>> multi-coatings) that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds)
>> can grow in the oils from a fingerprint and generate acids. It is
>> one of the causes of damage to stone buildings (the organisms,
>> rather than fingerprints!).
>>
>> Mike.
>
> Sodium chloride or common salt, the chemical compound NaCl, found in
> perspiration. You dont think that drying on a lens is the problem by
> any chance? It will I believe form an attatchment to glass which can
> only be removed by abrasives. So the problem is not so much etching
> but a cohesion of a moderately hard (2.5) crust to the surface.
> An example is sea spray on a car windscreen which if left to dry
> overtime will give the appearance and in fact the feel of being etched
> into the glass but can be removed with a mild abrasive and a lot of
> energy!

I am beginning my second year with these lenses: middle-distance
eyeglasses. They are UV- and protective-coated, and in daily use. They
are eye-brow and finger-grease printed several times a day, and
subjected to perspiration, wet and dried, daily.

I wash them with dish detergent one or more times a day. Rinsed in hot,
sometimes scalding water, it takes just a couple of shakes to remove all
the water from the lenses. Seldom use a cloth to finish the process, and
then more from habit than need.

I'd hope and expect that modern camera lenses incorporate the same or
similarly advanced protective technologies. One estimable authority
reports a demonstration by a major lensmaker's factory representative:
he stubbed out a burning cigarette on a lens, leaving the lens
unaffected.

--
Frank ess

PS: After a way-too-long history of head-tilting to look at computer
monitors through the middle zone of trifocal lenses, I had a light bulb
go on: ordered the center prescription as a full-lens application. What
I told the optometrist: "Most of my work is just six inches beyond the
end of my outstreced fingers; make them for that." Best investment I
ever made in vision enhancement. No more neck strain at the computer,
and the prescription, while not perfect for distance or closeup vision,
works good enough that I seldom need to look around the glasses (reading
small print) or pick up distant-vision glasses (driving only)..

F e

After a year of such treatment they remain as sparkly and unblemished as
the day I first put them on.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:45:12 AM

Avery <avery@ramblingsnail.net> wrote:

> Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
> fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
> clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).
>
> I ordered the camera kit online so no one was there to "sell" me a
> cleaning kit. Maybe this is a good thing; I might have gotten the wrong
> kit that way.

You don't need someone to sell you a "cleaning kit". What you need is to
wipe the thing off with something soft and clean and free of lint. Some
lens tissue would be a fine choice. Any kind of glass cleaner would very
much not be, because of the coating on the lens. There exist liquids
meant to clean lenses with; I have never, in all my years of photography,
found the slightest need for any of them. A plain tissue (the kind you'd
blow your nose in, but definitely without the embedded oily stuff) will
work fine.

> You pros, what do you use/recommend for camera and lens care and
> maintenance?

The cool people fog the lens with their breath and wipe it off with
their shirt. When you're ready to be like them, you'll know it.

Oh yeah, and one other thing. Stop putting your fingers on the glass. :)

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
!