Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will Athlon II x3 455 bottleneck a HD 7950?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 3, 2012 3:23:16 AM

Hi, im planning on upgrading my videocard from HD6850 to HD7950
and im wondering if this Athlon II x3 455 will bottleneck a HD 7950? :ange: 

my current HD6850 its always at 99-100% usage with stock CPU.
for sure i will unlock the CPU to B55 and oc it atleast 3.6Ghz

i was thinking on getting the FX8120 that is right now at $145 on amazon
but, i dont want to expend money on that CPU when the Piledriver may be out by
december or so.

will i be able to keep at least 50+ fps on ultra in BF3 with that combo?
X3 455 unlock OC3.6Ghz?? :) 

thanks
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 3:30:42 AM

I have nothing to back it up, but I would say yes a bit. Still going to be better performance than the 6850.

Then when you get the money for a new processor youll get the full benefit from it.

Do not buy a 8120 youll be completely wasting your money, why don't you change to intel? Youll probably need a new board anyway to get the 8120 or piledriver equivelent, unless you already have an AM3+ board?
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 3:31:52 AM

wait for the piledriver next month
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 3:33:56 AM

On BF3, yes, it probably will. Unless you can wait up until piledrivers release, play on a lower resolution.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 3:36:38 AM

yes your cpu will bottleneck especially in BF3
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 4:40:51 AM

paddys09 said:
I have nothing to back it up, but I would say yes a bit. Still going to be better performance than the 6850.

Then when you get the money for a new processor youll get the full benefit from it.

Do not buy a 8120 youll be completely wasting your money, why don't you change to intel? Youll probably need a new board anyway to get the 8120 or piledriver equivelent, unless you already have an AM3+ board?


actually i already have a ASUS M5A97 which is AM3+ , i think i would give a try and buy this one http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Expres...

it is the one from the hd7950 that i like the most.

regarding the FX8120 i think i will hold until oct-nov to see what AMD plans are.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 3:16:26 PM

dont get a new gpu until you get a new cpu..it probably wont be worth it..and i doubt piledriver is coming this year..and it wont be that much better than bulldozer anyways
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 117 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 3:40:08 PM


Yeah ... a little bit ... but who cares?

It WILL NOT be an issue in BF3 ... Any modern processor is going to be held back by graphics in BF3 if, presumably, you are gaming at 1920x

edit: Snag the HD 7950!

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 3:54:03 PM

mohit9206 said:
dont get a new gpu until you get a new cpu..it probably wont be worth it..and i doubt piledriver is coming this year..and it wont be that much better than bulldozer anyways


October 1st is the release date.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 3:56:41 PM

Yes go for the 7950 while it may bottleneck a little it will still be worth it. As for the FX-8120 I can tell you at least on my system it does very good I have not had any problems with any game I have played. I have found it to be a very good upgrade from the AMD Phenom II 1090t that I had before. As for going intel that is your choose of course but with you already having a AM3+ a FX-8120 would do great.

I have mine OC'd to 4ghz with just a 20x multiplier overclock using stock voltage. My system is able to keep up with my friends i5 2500k using the same video cards and he paid a lot more for his system because he switched from AMD to intel and all I hade to buy was the FX-8120 and a XSPC 750 RS240 water cooling kit. Despite all the negative reviews I have found the FX-8120 to be very good for gaming and anything else I have used on my rig.

OS : Windows 7 x64
CPU : AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition
Motherboard : MSI 890FXA-GD70
Case : In Win Dragon Rider
Video Card : 2x SAPPHIRE HD 6950 (flash to 6970) 2GB
Monitors : 3x Asus VK278Q Black 27
Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600
SSD : OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 90GB
HDD : 5x Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 64MB Cache
Optical Drive : LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner
Mouse : Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard : Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Water Cooler : XSPC Rasa 750 RS240
Share
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 4:03:28 PM

bryonhowley said:
Yes go for the 7950 while it may bottleneck a little it will still be worth it. As for the FX-8120 I can tell you at least on my system it does very good I have not had any problems with any game I have played. I have found it to be a very good upgrade from the AMD Phenom II 1090t that I had before. As for going intel that is your choose of course but with you already having a AM3+ a FX-8120 would do great.

I have mine OC'd to 4ghz with just a 20x multiplier overclock using stock voltage. My system is able to keep up with my friends i5 2500k using the same video cards and he paid a lot more for his system because he switched from AMD to intel and all I hade to buy was the FX-8120 and a XSPC 750 RS240 water cooling kit. Despite all the negative reviews I have found the FX-8120 to be very good for gaming and anything else I have used on my rig.

OS : Windows 7 x64
CPU : AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition
Motherboard : MSI 890FXA-GD70
Case : In Win Dragon Rider
Video Card : 2x SAPPHIRE HD 6950 (flash to 6970) 2GB
Monitors : 3x Asus VK278Q Black 27
Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600
SSD : OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 90GB
HDD : 5x Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 64MB Cache
Optical Drive : LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner
Mouse : Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard : Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Water Cooler : XSPC Rasa 750 RS240

+1
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:08:18 AM

Best answer selected by re-play-.
m
0
l
!