Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ATT Network Problems

Last response: in Networking
October 19, 2011 12:16:57 AM

Hi all, so im going to cut straight to the point with this post.

I am wondering if there is anything wrong with my internet connection/speed.
I have AT&T as my ISP and I pay for a 6 mbps down/ 512 kbps up plan.
On speedtest.net it tells me I am getting 2.22 mbps down and 0.11 kbps up with 51ms ping.

Is there anything I can do increase my speed or is there a definite problem with my connection.

Also, my ping in all sorts of games will randomly skyrocket to 1000+ ping, and then settle back down to its normal 50-100 ping depending on servers.
Any explanation for that would be great too.

Any feedback would be great as im trying to get ready for BF3 and when my ping skyrockets, it makes me completely useless in game until it normalizes.

More about : att network problems

October 19, 2011 5:52:25 AM

are you using a wired or wireless connection on your computer?
m
l
October 19, 2011 2:49:13 PM

Also are there other systems in the house using the connection at the same time ? IF you are only getting 2.2 mbps instead of 6 mbps there is most likely a problem and is the .11 kbps a mistype ?? (should it be .11 mbps ?) either way that is pretty low also vs. what you are paying for ( .5 mbps or 512Kbps).

The problem could be either a problem ith the line or a problem with the hardware on your end so best to do some troubleshooting to find out where the problem is ---- dixconnect all other devices and hook your system up directly wired to the router and see if the speed still test the same ( If you have 2 systems swap to the other system only connected directly and try again ) if the result is still the same turn off the router wait a few seconds and turn it back on (this resets it to default settings ) once it reconnects test things again - if still no improvement contact ATT support and have them run tests on the line and see if they find anything.

You definitely have a problem somewhere if that is indeed all the speed you are getting so should contact them and have them check things.
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2011 6:37:32 PM

Emerald said:
are you using a wired or wireless connection on your computer?

i have a ethernet connection directly to my 2wire router
m
l
October 20, 2011 6:47:21 PM

JDFan said:
Also are there other systems in the house using the connection at the same time ? IF you are only getting 2.2 mbps instead of 6 mbps there is most likely a problem and is the .11 kbps a mistype ?? (should it be .11 mbps ?) either way that is pretty low also vs. what you are paying for ( .5 mbps or 512Kbps).

The problem could be either a problem ith the line or a problem with the hardware on your end so best to do some troubleshooting to find out where the problem is ---- dixconnect all other devices and hook your system up directly wired to the router and see if the speed still test the same ( If you have 2 systems swap to the other system only connected directly and try again ) if the result is still the same turn off the router wait a few seconds and turn it back on (this resets it to default settings ) once it reconnects test things again - if still no improvement contact ATT support and have them run tests on the line and see if they find anything.

You definitely have a problem somewhere if that is indeed all the speed you are getting so should contact them and have them check things.

Oh yes my bad it was 0.11 mbps, i just disconnected all other devices that were connected to the router. (iphone4, ipod touch, and a laptop) and my connection has gotten even worse. Also, just about a month ago my old router died, but at the time I had very similar connection speeds, and with this new router it is the same as it used to be.

m
l
October 20, 2011 7:31:53 PM

I guess it is time to call the ISP and complain.

I know that they say UPTO 6Mbps down and .5 Mbps up but this is a little low. 80% of max might be acceptable, but you are at about 20%-30%.

there might be a line or equipment problem.
m
l

Best solution

October 20, 2011 8:13:41 PM

Yep - looks like something is definitely wrong there !! --- Keep running several tests over the next few days and call support to see if they find anything when they test the line (that way when you call you have numbers to back up what you are experiencing !) --- IF you are paying for the 6 Mbps level you should be getting somewhere near that level currently you are closer to the 1.5 Mbps level service . I've got their Uverse service and always get fairly close to what I pay for ( 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up) -- here is a test I just ran :

So fairly close.
October 21, 2011 3:04:44 PM

Best answer selected by moto nack.
m
l
!