Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Thoughts on sub $1100 build from scratch

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 30, 2012 4:09:41 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lRUu
Will be for simcity and dayz standalone. Probably going to wait a few months for prices to drop a little. 500 gb is plenty for me. Don't want to overclock, but probably SLI. Is the 650w overkill for SLI 2 660's (non ti)? Pcpartpicker expects the system to us a little over 300w for 1 660. May go 7870, depending on price around Christmas. Any other thoughts, ideas, or recommendations?
Thanks

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2012 4:32:19 AM

Don't need a Z77 Board (Overclockable) with a non overclockable CPU. You should save yourself $50, and get a Asrock H77 Pro4. Its a fantastic non overclockable board.

I honestly would much rather use that $50 saved and go for a 7870 GHZ Edition. Its a much better card overall, ESPECIALLY if you choose to Xfire in the future. The 660's 192 bit memory interface brings it down substantially (Of course this is subjective, but I'll back it up with a link soon). I would much rather a 7870 GE Xfire, than a 660 SLI.

I think a GOOD 650W will do you fine.

Get yourself a cheap budget cooler, the stock fan is quite loud on the i5 series. Maybe a Hyper TX3 evo or a Hyper 212 Evo.

everything else looks sweet.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

This link shows how the 7870 can even beat a 670 in some scenarios.
Share
October 30, 2012 4:45:32 AM

JJ1217 said:
Don't need a Z77 Board (Overclockable) with a non overclockable CPU. You should save yourself $50, and get a Asrock H77 Pro4. Its a fantastic non overclockable board.

I honestly would much rather use that $50 saved and go for a 7870 GHZ Edition. Its a much better card overall, ESPECIALLY if you choose to Xfire in the future. The 660's 192 bit memory interface brings it down substantially (Of course this is subjective, but I'll back it up with a link soon). I would much rather a 7870 GE Xfire, than a 660 SLI.

I think a GOOD 650W will do you fine.

Get yourself a cheap budget cooler, the stock fan is quite loud on the i5 series. Maybe a Hyper TX3 evo or a Hyper 212 Evo.

everything else looks sweet.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

This link shows how the 7870 can even beat a 670 in some scenarios.

Thanks, is that the pro4-m or pro 4/MVP? It says they do crossfire but not SLI, not sure I want to rule out all nvidia cards at the moment.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2012 4:52:04 AM

Pro4/MVP, my bad for not making that clearer. Does not support SLI, I sort of went on the AMD side there, my bad. Might want to go for a Z77 then.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 4:59:35 AM

JJ1217 said:
Pro4/MVP, my bad for not making that clearer. Does not support SLI, I sort of went on the AMD side there, my bad. Might want to go for a Z77 then.

No worries, as I'm thinking about going amd anyway, and if I can save $30 that'd be great. Can it crossfire all amd cards to date?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2012 6:00:51 AM

Not too sure about that, all I know is the Z77 Extreme 4 is a great board for the price, just to be safe, you should go with the Z77. I have one, and its SLI/Xfire capable. Mother boards are something you don't want to be buying all too often, so you might as well go for a good one.

this might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZmCuGniYo
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 6:28:55 AM

JJ1217 said:
Not too sure about that, all I know is the Z77 Extreme 4 is a great board for the price, just to be safe, you should go with the Z77. I have one, and its SLI/Xfire capable. Mother boards are something you don't want to be buying all too often, so you might as well go for a good one.

this might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZmCuGniYo

Thanks again. So basically, if not overclocking and I go amd, then save $ and get the h77, use that $ for the 7870 ghz. And if I go nvidia, then get the z77. Sound right? Also, the $20 rebate will expire on the case. Can you recommend a cheaper case that has front USB 3.0? Don't care what it looks like.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2012 6:48:27 AM

Basically. Of course you can go to H77 with Nvidia, but at the cost of SLI. Just remember, the second slot on the H77 is PCIe 2.0 16x, which is perfectly fine (Current cards can't saturate it.). I believe PCIe 2.0 16x = PCIe 3.0 8x

I really don't know any cases in that price range that offer USB 3.0, but in the $150-200 is the HAF 932(2x USB3.0), Corsair 500R (One of my fave cases, 2x USB3.0), and the Corsair 600T (Single USB 3.0).


m
0
l
November 5, 2012 11:44:34 PM

Best answer selected by Xtjaga3.
m
0
l
!