Old PC feels like a duct taped collage of bunk

ima_gnu

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
As the title says, my old pc is very mashed together. Over the time I've had it, I've replaced with components without due research, and I believe that practice has contributed to the decline of my experience. My goal is to replace at least the motherboard, cpu, ram and gpu. Any other replacements, if felt necessary by your opinions, I will evaluate the feasibility within my budgetary constraints.

I will do my best to fill the rest of this according to the schematic in the sticky.

Approximate Purchase Date: Open, hopefully before the end of March. If it takes a long time, I may update certain hardware if it is logical to do so. I may or may not ask for some guidelines then, depending on the date.

Budget Range: Ideally under $500, but with probably ~$125 above budget acceptable.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High-powered gaming. Anything else I do is less system demanding than that.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: mobo, cpu, ram, gpu, possibly power supply and/or hdd

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: My preference is price. As long as the site is reputable, I'm not picky.

Parts Preferences: I prefer AMD Processors and Geforce gpu. More flexible on the gpu than the proc.

Overclocking: Doubtful, but remotely possible. Last time I had any experience with overclocking was an AMD K6 333 that my friend clocked to over 900Mhz and it melted. Awesome, but I have no real experience with safe overclocking.

SLI or Crossfire: As far as I know, SLI is something along the lines of dual gpu, with the benefit of tremendously heightened capabilities. I could easily be wrong. However, if that is the general idea, I would love to incorporate it. I dont know what Crossfire is.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

I am willing to accept that my old power supply may no longer be adequate, for any number of reasons.

This Is my current Power Supply

If it fits in the budget, I would love to get a small-capacity hich-speed hdd. My current setup only includes 1 hdd, and its a 7200rpm 1tb Seagate Barracuda. I dont remember much else about it. I've had it for four years. The seek time probably isnt the fastest, and the swap file is probably lacking.

Hopefully I covered what was needed by the community in order to facilitate the help I ask for

Thanks in advance