Sign in with
Your question

Is Higher-End Hardware Worth It For Basic Video Editing?

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2012 5:04:57 AM

I'm shopping around for parts for a new computer. Budget is at around ~$900 (give or take $100). I intend to use this new computer mostly for gaming... so it's going to be a gaming rig. But I'm also looking to do a little bit of video editing. Nothing at the pro level. Just want to record a bit of the games I play and cut out unnecessary parts. Things like that. Won't be making whole movies out of them.

The thing is that some of the hardware are optimized specifically for video and picture editing with high end programs like Photoshop. For example, people say that the i7 Intel CPU is not any better than the i5 in terms of gaming, but it can be a big difference for editing. Same goes for the 8GB vs 16GB RAM cards.

So my question is: are the more expensive hardware worth it for what I'm looking to do with a new computer?
October 30, 2012 10:29:10 AM

Unless your doing this for a job, or to make a living, or even make some profit back on the money you spend on hardware - my advice would be don't waste your money.

The higher spec hardware (i7 vs i5) and (16GB RAM vs. 8GB) will only make the video rendering process quicker. Unless your working on deadlines to get stuff done, just buy the cheaper hardware and give the computer a little longer to render the videos.

An i5 and 8GB RAM is more than enough performance for any game and SHOULD be plenty for any Home-User.
m
l
October 30, 2012 10:49:13 AM

Funnily enough, I am editing film on my similarly specced rig as I type this.

From what I have experienced, this level of hardware is plenty for amateur to moderate usage. I am experiencing no real slowdown on my rig when it comes to editing and I am using more advanced stuff like After Effects and filters on near every bit of footage in the timeline.
If all you are doing is cutting/pasting bits of footage around, your rig will be plenty.

Only thing I would upgrade about my rig for this purpose is another 8GB of RAM. The stuff really gets used up quickly in After Effects, which I suspect I will have to deal with a lot next year.

Agree with Adrian. While an i7 and lots of RAM does help in this aspect, it isn't needed unless you are doing more advanced stuff and/or for work.
m
l
!