Sign in with
Your question

All the fans run, no beeps, no video.

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2012 5:58:11 AM

Hello!
The start of my problems was my power supply, which went bad, so I replaced that with one I found on Ebay, probably not the best idea, because that only solved my problem for a few hours before the power supply shot sparks from the back of it. I got a return of the power supply, and also bought another power supply from a computer hardware shop, but that didnt seem to be the problem, as neither of them worked, so i assumed the power supply shooting sparks had damaged some other parts in my computer. I have replaced/upgraded almost everything in my computer and at this point I get no beeps, no video when i power on, just lights on and fans running. I have checked all my connections, tried with just one stick of ram, checked for grounding out, tried alternate graphics cards, etc, but I can't seem to solve this one, any help would be much appreciated! This is what im working with:

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX Motherboard
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core CPU
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
iMicro 500w ATX12V PSU or i can also use PoWork Black ATX Dual Fan 650w PSU
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 or HIS ATI Radeon HD 5850

Thanks for anything you can do to help

More about : fans run beeps video

October 30, 2012 6:29:01 AM

ephesis85 said:
Hello!
The start of my problems was my power supply, which went bad, so I replaced that with one I found on Ebay, probably not the best idea, because that only solved my problem for a few hours before the power supply shot sparks from the back of it. I got a return of the power supply, and also bought another power supply from a computer hardware shop, but that didnt seem to be the problem, as neither of them worked, so i assumed the power supply shooting sparks had damaged some other parts in my computer. I have replaced/upgraded almost everything in my computer and at this point I get no beeps, no video when i power on, just lights on and fans running. I have checked all my connections, tried with just one stick of ram, checked for grounding out, tried alternate graphics cards, etc, but I can't seem to solve this one, any help would be much appreciated! This is what im working with:

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX Motherboard
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core CPU
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
iMicro 500w ATX12V PSU or i can also use PoWork Black ATX Dual Fan 650w PSU
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 or HIS ATI Radeon HD 5850

Thanks for anything you can do to help

i dont know why people buy decent systems then dump the cheapest POS psu they can find in it, that can and will destroy your whole system as soon as you push it (videocard spinning up can be enough to do it)!! now i have that out of my system pull the motherboard out of your case remove everything except cpu and cooler and psu lines of course, no ram or anything. turn it on by shorting the power on jumpers (screwdriver will do) if you get the beep for no ram in it your in luck if not you have probably fried ur motherboard. good luck hope you have learnt your lesson, get rid of both those power supplies you have mentioned and get a decent one, something like a 500w corsair, seasonic, antec or the like will serve you well
October 30, 2012 6:32:35 AM

Usually that happends when you forgot to plug in the 4pin cpu power supply.
If that is not the case the motherboard could be fried (if the cpu or memory is faulty usualy motherboards beep).
Next time check the psu with a voltmeter to see if output voltage is correct and verify if has enough power to run all your components (there are online WATT calculators).
Related resources
October 30, 2012 6:41:04 AM

_Cosmin_ said:
Usually that happends when you forgot to plug in the 4pin cpu power supply.
If that is not the case the motherboard could be fried (if the cpu or memory is faulty usualy motherboards beep).
Next time check the psu with a voltmeter to see if output voltage is correct and verify if has enough power to run all your components (there are online WATT calculators).

a watt calculator is useless if you use a crap psu that cant put out half of watts on the label anyways
October 30, 2012 2:18:21 PM

If the ram is not installed or seated properly these are often the symptoms, not all motherboards beep with no ram.
November 25, 2012 5:56:40 AM

A friend of mine just fixed a problem with the same symptoms with a similar setup. His PSU was 750w so no worries there. The problem was the processor. It was just plain knackered, DoA. The MOBO would not even give the 3 RAM beeps with that processor in place. When I put my own processor of the same model into the MOBO, the beeps worked. Just a heads up so that you don't rule out the processor.
!