Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Combo HTPC/NAS – Virgin Hardware ~ $1500

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2012 11:28:58 AM

Hello all,

Lurked here for a bit, and saw that this is a good helpful community. So... here it goes.

I have built a few of my own systems, but nothing for several years now. I am looking to build a combo HTPC/NAS and all I have for hardware right now is the case. I have used RAID storage before and was thinking of using RAID 5 or 1+0. I do not know what OS or software I will need to set up automatic backups of the 3 laptops in my network and the media/files/photos that will live in the NAS. I intend on backing the NAS up to another off-site storage for redundancy.
My experience is so out of date that I am looking for some critical help along with the research I am doing. I appreciate any and all help, thanks for reading.

I currently live in Taipei and the hardware and budget are very flexible. I would like to maintain the option of this system growing into a light/mid-level gaming system for my children as they get older. What better way to keep an eye on them then having them “play” on the computer in the living room?

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month.

Budget Range: Up to 1500 USD Before Rebates; Before Shipping. Flexible if justified.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: NAS, HTPC, stream audio video to local devices, able to surf/download and option for light gaming as kids grow up.

Are you buying a monitor: No – will display through LG 47” 3D HDTV.

Parts to Upgrade: None – New build. Already have case.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes – what is best OS for performing both NAS and HTPC functions with RAID (either 1+0, or 5).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Will need to purchase locally in Taipei, Taiwan

Location: Taipei, Taiwan. Most parts available in US are available here by “ordering” from local stores.

Parts Preferences: Only experience is with Intel

Overclocking: Yes / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe – I may expand capabilities of build to be able to game in the future (as my children grow older).

Your Monitor Resolution: HDTV

Additional Comments: The NAS is for media files, personal documents and pictures. I also want to build an HTPC. To avoid two separate boxes I want to combine them into one unit. I would like NAS to backup media files, documents and pictures, and backup 3 laptops on home network. Intend on NAS data backing up to additional offsite storage.

Purchased parts:
Silverstone Tek GD08B Aluminum Extended ATX / SSI-EEB / SSI-CEB HTPC Computer Case Cases - Black

Selected parts (VERY flexible)
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3. Quad-Core Intel HD Graphics 4000

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Thanks!
October 30, 2012 12:13:27 PM

Okay well, do you know any websites in Taiwan that ship to you?
m
l
October 30, 2012 11:40:18 PM

Most of the "stores" around the computer area can order parts and I can pick them up in a few days. Prices for CPUs, hardrives and mobos seem to be about par with prices I see for newegg or amazon.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 1:58:36 AM

Alright, can I have their websites so I can see their price lists and available items?
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:29:44 AM

Unless you can read and write Mandarin Chinese I don't think those would be helpful. I would basically say that if it is available on Newegg or Amazon I should be able to get it here. Use either of those sites for cost data too. The case I bought was not available on Newegg and I found it here, so I think that I can get most individual components at roughly the same price as things back in the USA.
m
l

Best solution

October 31, 2012 9:06:14 AM

I can't. I have Google Chrome's built-in translator though. :lol: 

Anyway, you probably won't need to spend that much on the PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($87.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Total: $937.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

As for the OS, I'm pretty sure Windows 7 Home Premium would be fine for that.
November 2, 2012 3:37:01 AM

Best answer selected by Verrin13.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:38:16 AM

Thanks for the help Excella. Time to start shopping.
m
l
!