Solved

Motherboard sound issue

I feel like a newb, not sure what my options are setting this up.
My issue is figuring out how to get sound to my TV. I do have a theater system that can take HDMI, but I would hate to use my 9,2 system just for games all the time, it is much more pleasant just listening on the TV. After advice from this site, I purchased a Gigabyte Ga-Z77x-ud5h, xfx Radeon HD 7970 3GB and an assortment of other options on a brand new system. I only have the onboard SD sound. I can plug the video card directly to the LED tv with the HDMI cable. Is it possible to get sound to go through the same cable. Or what options do I have? I have a sound card in my old system with HDMI that I can install but my TV wont play two different HDMI inputs at the same time. Can anyone come up with some smarts that I seem to lack? Much appreciated.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard sound issue
  1. Best answer
    HDMI can carry a sound signal.
    Should just be a matter of plugging it in and selecting the HDMI device as the default sound output in Control Panel. Done it myself a few times.
  2. So my video card would have the ability to pass sound through to my tv? How does the video card get the sound? I will try it when I get home but I am skeptical.
  3. Yep, graphics cards with a HDMI output (near all of them) do have built in sound chips. My 7870 could give an audio signal to my monitor if I wanted it to (since the monitor has an audio jack), I know it can play audio through my TV.
    Through the PCI-Express slot, you could argue the same thing of sound cards.
  4. Sweet. of that is true, you just made my day. Cant wait to get home and try it.
  5. Best answer selected by phir.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt TV HDMI Motherboards Systems