PC doesn't freeze anymore after RAM speed was lowered?

G

Firstly, the RAM I'm using is 2x Corsair XMS3 2GB and the AsRock Z77 Extreme4. I was running the RAM in dual channel mode. So basically after 30mins maybe my screen would just freeze and I would have to restart. I initially thought I had damaged either of the sticks and I took one of them out. After that the computer would go at least 2 hours before any freezing. But because the freezing happened again, I went into the bios and I changed the speed down from 1333mhz to 1067mhz and low and behold the problem had disappeared. I'm now 48 hours without any problem.

But can anyone explain this?

bignastyid

Titan
Did you have the memory voltage bumped up to 1.65v? The default voltage for ddr3 is 1.5v and the corsair ram you linked to requires 1.65v, it usually wont run properly at 1.5v unless the clock speed is reduced. So try upping the memory voltage to 1.65v and bump the speed and timings to their advertised values. Note I have heard that increasing memory voltages can void the warranty on the CPU, to avoid this you'd need to buy ram that runs at 1.5v.

tripledouce

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I had this same issue with corsair RAM on my ASUS mother board. after increasing the voltage to 1.65 and bumping the speed to 1600mhz all was stable. also if you are using just 2 sticks make sure you are using the correct RAM Slots (usually 0 and 2)

G

the only setting i changed in the bios to do with ram was the clock speed.

i had a look and the voltage for DRAM is set at 1.585v. I don't know how to change the timings correctly?

Its almost strange that 1333 @ 9,9,9,24 did not work on 1.5v.

The 1.65 "should" have only been needed for 1600.

I bet if you check the SPD timings, it will be 1333 @ 9,9,9,24 @ 1.5 then XMP for the 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65

Also it never hurts to see if the memory is running at a command rate of 2T(more important with more then 2 sticks, but worth a shot.)

G

I'm looking at it right now and It doesn't say anything about changing any settings to do with ram in the bios

Check the manual on page 55-56

From the bios(UEFI)
Hit the OC Tweaker Tab
Scroll down to find the Voltage Configuration section
Adjust DRAM Voltage to 1.65 and NO MORE, that is already high for new cpus(over what some recommend).

If you want to mess with timings. You should also have a DRAM Timings Configuration(on the previous page). Please note that @ 1333 the timings should be auto set, but you are looking for 9-9-9-24 leave all others @ auto, you can try to set the Command Rate to T2 if you still have crashing.

G

maybe this will help?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/img2012103000513.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/img2012103000514.jpg/

i just took these with my phone and they are the default settings except for the clock speed which was lowered

G

I completely understand but what is the actual names of the settings that would be "9-9-9-24". Just so I change the CORRECT thing

those first 4 numbers are set too low for 1333 @ 1.5 volts. They should be stable @ 1.65 volts.

If you want to keep the 1.5 volts, chance the first 4 to 9,9,9,24

Please try this for 1333 @ 1.5

If it is stable, you can chance the Command Rate back to 1 and test again.

bioswp.jpg

G

OK I will try this out now. Thank you

Ohh and if you want to make memory fail quick for testing,

Prime95 with a custom high memory blend is the best way to test.

That is how I know that 2 of the 8gig kits from the same line as your are not quite 100% on my 2600 Z68 setup :(. By not 100% i mean it is only stable @ 90% memory(100% cpu) for about 7-9 hours(under my wanted 12+), so for many users, that is quite good. The ram it self is perfectly fine, just not 100% with this board/cpu combo. Now 2 of the sticks live in my other system, problem solved for me :)

But if ram is crashing easy like you have, that test would error or crash fairly quick.

be warned, Prime95 testing get VERY hot(Only OCCT/ IBT gets hotter.).

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

If you want, you can always test the normal way and see hoe it goes. This is just my fast crash way(IBT can get you crashed even faster, but not everyone wants to put a system under that stress. I can understand if you are on stock cooling.).

G

I am on stock cooling and I'm using the I5 3570K.

Ok so I changed the settings to voltage 1.5v 9-9-9-24 and command rate =2 1333mhz and i think it was stable because i got into windows but obviously that isnt a real test. when i changed the command rate back to 1, the computer turned off and on and so i had to clear cmos.

right now im on 9-9-9-24 1333mhz cr = 1 @ 1.65v -- is that good? or should i leave it at 9-9-9-24 cr = 2 @ 1.5v?

ukman408

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Sorry to jump in on your thread but as you can see here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/368539-31-freezing-lines-display

I've also been seeing freezes on my new system. I ran memtest last night for 8 hours and it was fine. Should I look to tweek mine as well? I have G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 that is 1.25 volts. If I remember correctly, the bios showed it set to 1.5 and 8-8-8-24. I have no clue what that means as I've never tweaked a system before and this is my first. Should I set my bios voltage lower and change the timing to the 9-9-9-24?

I also read on another post here that the I5-2500k processor I have doesn't support the 1600 memory and automatically forces it down to 1333. Should I try adjusting that as well to set the memory to default to 1333.

since you are only @ 1333 on 1600 rated sticks, I would try to back the voltage off to 1.6(just for a margin of safety). Then let it run for a while and see how it does.

8,8,8,20 was most likely the cause of your problems as the sticks are just not rated for that(unless you are down to 1066 or lower).

Command rate does not have much impact on speed.

The real test would be 1600 @ 9,9,9,24 command rate 2, voltage 1.65, but again many users are avoiding 1.65 volts as the new cpus are more sensitive to voltage. So I try to not have users push the voltage too much.

Memory like cpus are just never the same.

I have some 1600 stuff that was running @ 1333(9,9,9,24 T2) on 1.35 volts :) and it was rated @ 1600 9,9,9,24 @ 1.65
And even more luck would be the same family as yours
CMX4GX3M2A1600C7(and not 9) did and easy 1333 @ 6,7,6,21, but that is more to be expected as those sticks are rated for 1600 @ 7-8-7-20.

I do not think I notice the difference from that to 1333 @ 9,9,9,24 anyway(unless you look at a benchmark that can show you milliseconds).

If you are happy with 1333 9,9,9,24 Command Rate 2 @ 1.5, no harm in keeping it that way.

Are you running 2 or 4 sticks btw?

ukman408, I will see if I can help you as well.

G

I think everything should be stable now. If I just do what it is I do on the computer, just some browsing, word-processing and light-gaming and I don't run into any problems like freezing or the computer suddenly switching off then I guess the system is stable.

I'll certainly come back to the forums if any problems do occur.

Thank you for help :D

I would give it at least a few days to ensure it is stable.

If it is, Then you can select whatever post you found helped you the most as a "Best Answer"(This post will appear under your initial post to help others who come to the thread later). Do not do that until you are sure it is stable because "Solved" threads get locked by the moderators soon after to prevent people from posting in them after a problem is considered fixed.