Which is better value?

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
a24q9v.png

Keep in mind these are Aus prices, hence why they are expensive. Which is the better value? Gaming and photo editing (CS6). Plan to SLI/X-Fire in the future.

EDIT: I should also mention I'm using a 2560 x 1440 resolution monitor.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Personally, I'd get the Sapphire 7970.....simply because it's Sapphire :D
but seriously, both cards would do fine, when OC'ed both will match the GTX680.

However, my main reason for getting the 7970 is that you can just flash the GHZ edition BIOs onto it and make magic ( I think you cna at least )

plus you get 2 free games.

From a gaming point of view, the GTX670 and 7970 are comparable.
For CS6, I think it can make use of the CUDA capability of nvidia cards. I am no expert there, so check it out.

As to your planning on sli, here is my canned rant on that:
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.
Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 650w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

I appreciate your feedback. I don't mean I plan on going SLI anytime soon, more I meant in a year or two when I'll start needing some extra juice for the new high performance games being released. I also didn't mention in my OP I'll be playing on a 2560 x 1440 resolution monitor.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
^ Then go for the 7970? 3GB of VRAM!!!!
:D

Honestly though, I don't see 3GB being a huge benefit over 2GB, but I'd like to say you never know when you need a 4 headed man eating fish monster of Aberdeen to ward off barbarians. :lol:

and personally, I don't think CFX/ SLI wuold be the way to go 2 years down the line, but that time, there would have been a good single card that could match 2 of those cards while using less juice.

I love the higher resolution monitors.

Today, I use two 2560 x 1600 monitors and a GTX680 without issue.
2gb of vram seems not to be any real issue.
A GTX670 with a factory overclock will do almost as well.

In a year's time, we will see "son of kepler". At that time, the best upgrade will be to sell the GTX670 in favor of the next best thing.