Sign in with
Your question

What non gaming performance graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2012 11:46:12 AM

Hello everybody

I would appreciate some advice on upgrading my graphics card.

I run Windows 7 64bit on an Asus i7 930@2.8GHz with 24GB Ram. I run VMWare Wks 9 and have 7 Win2008 servers virtual machines. When I get all seven virtual machines going, my system is crippled. I believe the problem comes from the graphics card, an nVidia GeForce GT 430. The performance monitoring tells me that I have 66% usage of memory and CPU usage is about 33%. The problem seems to be opening new windows, re-drawing windows, cursor changing shape and waiting for some graphics refreshing. So I do believe the problem is the graphics card. If you think otherwise, please say so.

Assuming the problem is the graphics card, what sort of GPU should I look for? As the environment is different than gaming, are there certain features that would be more felevant to my problems? Maybe amount of memory?

many thanks for your help

alex
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 2:37:26 PM

Both ATI and Nvidia produce GPU's with heavy work in mind. I do not know about prices or which are better so you might wanna search online or around the forum.
They have many models but probably the most known are the FirePro on ATI side and the Quadro on Nvidia side
a c 276 U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 2:51:04 PM

I suspect your problem is insufficient ram.

7 virtual machines, each @ 4gb could overwhelm your 24gb.

In the task monitor, select the resource monitor, and look at the memory tab.

If you have a number of hard faults per second, your pc is short of ram.

You might be right that your video card is a limiting factor.
Not so much with it's computational capability, but the limitation of 1gb of vram which I think may have to be shared among many virtual machines.

How to tell?
Try removing one stick of ram and see how your performance changes.
If your pc bogs down even sooner, then increasing ram will likely be a solution.

Related resources
September 3, 2012 3:12:38 PM

Thanks a lot, I will look into these models
alex
September 3, 2012 3:26:10 PM

Thanks a lot.

I don't think RAM is an issue, unless VMware "leaks". Each virtual machine is configured to use 2GB, so 14GB in total, which ties up with the amount of memory usage in task manager, about 66%.

As pointed out earlier, it might be the 1GB memory of the graphics card the limiting factor. The screen goes temporarily grey and after a while it redraws the windows.

Wonder if anybody had similar issues.

Cheers
alex

geofelt said:
I suspect your problem is insufficient ram.

7 virtual machines, each @ 4gb could overwhelm your 24gb.

In the task monitor, select the resource monitor, and look at the memory tab.

If you have a number of hard faults per second, your pc is short of ram.

You might be right that your video card is a limiting factor.
Not so much with it's computational capability, but the limitation of 1gb of vram which I think may have to be shared among many virtual machines.

How to tell?
Try removing one stick of ram and see how your performance changes.
If your pc bogs down even sooner, then increasing ram will likely be a solution.

!