Sign in with
Your question

Anti-Static mat for new gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2012 4:02:55 PM

Hello i am going to be building my first pc in a few weeks time and i am very nervous as i am on a tight budget and don't want to break any of my parts and was just wondering if it is worth buying a anti-static mat and wrist strap to prevent static electricity from breaking my pc?
This is the one i am planning to buy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-43080-Anti-Static-Service...

More about : anti static mat gaming

a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2012 4:05:51 PM

its only worth it if the place you live in produces a lot of static, other than that buying it is almost worthless as you can just sit in a chat/stand next to your case and touch it to release the static
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2012 4:07:56 PM

Like above, if you live in some place where there is alot of static.

Honestly, its pretty hard to mess up stuff with static if you are careful. Just discharge static electricity frequently by touching a metal part of the case.
Related resources
a c 245 4 Gaming
October 30, 2012 4:08:44 PM

All you have to do is make sure you build on a clean surface and you'll be fine. Unless you're working with live (powered on) equipment you don't need to purchase that - and for the most part you won't.
October 30, 2012 4:26:08 PM

I am going to be building on a wooden table which is on a wooden tiled floor, is that going to be ok to build on? If its ok then it means i dont need to buy a mat or the wrist strap?
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2012 4:28:38 PM

You should be fine on wood.

If you are really really nervous, just get the strap. Its more of a psychological thing really at that point.

You should be fine.
October 30, 2012 4:37:32 PM

Thank you for the answers :D  and i am not that nervous now (yay)!
!