Sign in with
Your question

Help with new system build

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2012 4:13:49 PM

I would like to build a system that has very fast boot times and can also be used to do basic video editing using the Sony Vegas application. I'm not a very patient person, so waiting any longer than necessary on boot up, application load times, and rendering times, drives me crazy.

Approximate Purchase Date:
next couple of weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400)
~$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
surfing the internet, basic video editing, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Parts to Upgrade:
none, because existing computer wil be used for something else.

Do you need to buy OS:
Yes (Windows 7 64bit)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
I've used Newegg before, but I'm not against using someone else

Parts Preferences: by brand or type
I have always used Intel CPU's in the past but I would change if there is a good reason.

Overclocking:
Maybe but not the goal

SLI or Crossfire:
no

Your Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080

Additional Comments: A very fast boot is very important, and fast video rendering times would be important as well.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Starting to have issues with my current pc not booting (requiring a CPU reset), and it is time to upgrade from Vista Ultimate

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.
I really like the cable management capability of the Cosair 600t case

More about : system build

October 30, 2012 5:02:27 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lUMN

This does go over budget by around $50, I warn you now. Ways to get around that would include getting a less powerful i5 or even an i3 CPU, removing the SSD (which can be an upgrade in the future anyway. In fact, that would be my recommended removal if you were to get this build). I tried to make sure you got a good case, but pcpartpicker didn't have the 600t case for newegg. You can save a little cash by switching to the Corsair 500r instead, and even more by bundling it with a Radeon 7870 of your choice (there are bundles for the 500r that include a 7870, and give a small discount of around $18 as a result). You can probably also find bundles for the CPU as well...

In fact, here's one here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... A z77 mobo instead of a b75, which allows you to upgrade to a 3570k in the future (or an i7 -k CPU, for that matter) so you can overclock then. It's even cheaper than the 3450 + b75 combo in my build listed above. That'll help it get closer to your budget (by another... $13 or so, I think). You can also save some money by switching to the XFX Double D Radeon 7870 2gb video card (which, if you can catch it in-stock at Newegg, is about $210 after MIR). That should bring you down to your budgeted range, give you a fair amount of CPU power, and do what you'd like it to do. The fast boot is provided by the SSD, and you'll have a single terabyte of storage for everything other than the OS and important applications (which should be on the SSD). The OS will boot up within 20 seconds, I believe, so that should work pretty well for you.

If you really want the 600t, however, we'll likely need to make a concession. Simply switching to the XFX 7870 Black Edition should provide the change in price needed to meet the higher price of the case, while switching to a Power Color video card should make it even closer to your budget (which, if you get the two bundles mentioned above, you should already be at even with the case/video card changes). Hope this helps.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lUQT
October 30, 2012 7:02:08 PM

Let me make this a little easier. The budget isn't a hard and fast thing, but I just dont want to overkill this build like I have in the past. Lets just worry about the Motherboard, CPU, Memory, and SSD drive and OS. I would rather spend more money and not be disapointed, but I do want to be cost effective.

Sam
November 6, 2012 1:23:38 AM

Any additional help here?
!