Super budget build

looking at upgrading current system need some input. Trying to keep it on a super tight budget say under $200. Really dont play too much on pc anymore but would like to play skyrim on pc (much better than 360 IMO played on bros $1500 pc and was amazed) and company of heroes 2 when that comes out. Here is my current system.

amd 64x2 4800 @ 2.5
4 gigs ddr2 800
ati 3870 512mb
windows 7 64 bit
an ecs mobo socket am2
550w psu
17" monitor max res 1280x1024
am building off an hp prebuilt machine i bought 4-5 years ago now. would like to say my cpu is holding me back more than anything considering of my monitor resolution let me know what you guys think i should do. was kinda maybe thinking bout getting older core 2 8400 (@ $45 off bay) mobo $50 off bay and could still use my ddr2 ram than maybe get ati 7750?
11 answers Last reply
More about super budget build
  1. For your budget your plan is as good as any.
  2. Have you tried a demo of those games? I think you could probably play them at 1280x1024 with medium or low settings at 30fps now.

Switching to an E8400 is not going to give you a meaningful CPU bump and you'd just waste money on more obsolete hardware. If anything, the only thing I would do is get a newer graphics card and the fastest affordable CPU for your socket.

A Radeon 5770 would rock for that monitor resolution and they go for cheap on ebay. I am having a hard time selling mine for $50 right now.

YOu'd have to check your board's specs, but I think you could run a X2 6000+ which is a 3Ghz dual core. That comes pretty close to the Core 2 Duos that you were looking. But that's only worth it if you can find it for cheap.
  3. If you have a local MicroCenter near you, I'd seriously recommend hitting them up and doing one of their AMD CPU+Motherboard Combos. You can get an FX4100 or a PII X4 965 with a motherboard for under $100 which is pretty unbeatable. Plop maybe $20-30 worth of DDR 3 (4GB) and then a low-end to mid-range card and you'd be fairly well off. It's hard to recommend a card with that 64 X2.
  4. I like in AZ so no microcenters. We do have frys and have been searching their adds for some deals. the most my board with accept is 65w cpu's so i think the max i can go is a 64x2 5400? wouldnt really be worth it imo. and yea i have played skyrim on my system on lowest settings, 1024x768 and was barely getting 25fps
  5. x2 5400 is going to be like a 10% CPU bump.

If you are only getting 25fps, then you are definitely CPU bound. Your 3870 is about as powerful as a 5570 or a GT240 which was doing quite well on these benchmarks at 1280x1024 medium (with a nice i5 CPU)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-4.html

If you could go $250, then I think you'd have some good options like a Pentium G640, cheap H61 Mobo, 4GB DDR3 and a used 5770.
  6. Okay, how's this:

all at newegg:
    Pentium G850: $70
    ECS H61H2-M1: $30 (after rebate)
    Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB: $26 after rebate

That leaves $74 for a video card. If you can stretch to a 7770, I would. If not, find a used 5770 like I mentioned above which should be easy under $75.
  7. was act looking at the the pentium saw it was picked in toms top cpus for $ this past month maybe ill just wait to see if there are any hot deals with black friday coming up
  8. I see 1 potential problem you are using a pre built system. Did your operating system come with your computer? If it did you would have to keep your current mobo. or get a new OS. I would suggest you try and save a little more money. Some prebuilts are very difficult to reuse the case if you were to swap mobos. Another plan if you had a little more is get a prebuilt on sale and throw in a gpu or look for a used system.

I also thought that skyrim was built for consoles and was even. They messed with the controls imo it was a wash save mods.
  9. If you want to keep your budget tigh the best option right now is an APU from AMD A8 5600K, Asrock A75 mobo and 4 gigs of 1866mhz ram
  10. jack yes i do have a copy of windows 7(prebuilt system came with vista) also if the mobo wont fit in a case have found some used cases for dirt cheap on craigslist. I have played skyrim on 360 and played on bros computer on ultra and 360 cant even compare plus personally think an rpg should be played on a pc. Think kinda torn between intel and amd just seems like intel's dual core are performing better than amd's quads now aka pentium 850's beating out quad core amd's
  11. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems