New Computer Build Will not POST

Adrian_IRL

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hi there.. So this is my first thread on this site for an unfortunate reason.
I am building a new computer using a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H motherboard, some 1600MHZ 8GB RAM(DDR3) and an Intel Core i3 2120 processor. I am using the integrated graphics.

When I hit the power button it starts, the CPU fan spins, PSU fan spins, then they all stop and after 3 seconds the cycle repeats. I have tested the PSU and found it to be fine, I have switched RAM and RAM slots and that's not helping. I have taken out the CPU and placed in back in again.

When I start the machine there is no POST beeps whatsoever and the monitor has no feed at all.

Very stressed because of this so any help would be greatly appreciated !

Adrian_IRL

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I've went through the steps mentioned and they did not help.
I noticed that my RAM has UDIMM on their sticker rather that DIMM, I wonder if this could be related ...

Solution

Adrian_IRL

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah man, the standoffs are all good and nothing of the case is rubbing the mobo, I have removed it totally from that shell to a plastic surface and still no improvement.

Something I think might be relevant: When I remove the ram the system speaker beeps continuously on startup and when the ram is inserted it just turns on and off constantly with no video feed or beeps, could it be bad/incompatible ram ?
Really hoping it isn't the mobo

Adrian_IRL

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

No other RAM but I have tried another PSU with the same results, I'll get some other RAM off a friend and report back, cheers guys.

njxc500

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008

You are absolutely correct, I didn't word that right. On Gigabyte motherboards, you will get a fairly long beep, indicating there is a problem with memory, but it is not continuous. This is definitely not a POST beep though.

Good luck.

Adrian_IRL

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

So just to recap: My machine beeps continuously without RAM and the fans spin but with the suspect RAM they spin momentarily, no beeps and just restarts in a loop.

Safe to so its very likely the RAM ?