Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build for 3d modeling and rendering

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2012 6:32:52 PM

Hi guys!

Recommendations, changes and advise much appreciated. I am building the new computer for 3d modeling work and rendering associated with it...

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 weeks

Budget Range: max $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d modeling, rendering/photoshop, 2d drafting

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Complete new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Local resellers

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia, WD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure about this

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: Would like to have it run for a while before needing to upgrade

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Existing PC is outdated and slow for my needs

Currently got this as my build -

Case: Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681911650...

Graphics: ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard drives: 2x Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: Kingston HyperX 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K6/24GX

MB: Unsure

CPU cooler: Unsure

Seriously appreciate any help!!
October 30, 2012 6:40:55 PM

If you are going to use the 3770 to overclock, you would need a CPU cooler.

I also don't think 24GB of RAM is necessary. Its also a triple channel kit, which wouldn't work with your processor. You could go with 8GB or 16GB and be just fine.
October 30, 2012 6:49:21 PM

Thanks for the reply Deemo13. This is my first build so I'm pretty inexperienced, will overclocking really noticeably give more from this CPU? Could you recommend?

Thanks for the suggestions on the RAM....
Related resources
October 30, 2012 7:03:52 PM

I can give a few answers, sadly I'll also raise a few questions to other that may know better.

How much modeling and designing do you do? If this is for your work and profession, you may want to step up to a SB-E chip. I know they're expensive, but you're using software that will take every core a CPU can offer, so the 6C/12T 3930K might really make a difference in how fast you're rendering.

On the GPU, the current Radeon 7000 cards offer incredible compute power, it's just a question of whether your design programs will take advantage of them. Can anyone answer this for sure?

On the RAM, you've got six sticks on a dual channel controller. You'll need two, four, or eight sticks. Unlikely you'll need 32GB since you're not doing video, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. 16GB should be a good baseline.

Dual HDDs? I think you might get by with a single larger normal drive than two high-performance ones.

Depending on the CPU and GPU, you might be able to save on the PSU and get a 500W model.

And yes, you likely will want a CPU cooler, especially if you're overclocking.
October 30, 2012 7:16:36 PM

Hi RedJaron

It is for my work/profession. I'm not too concerned with rendering speeds as I can generally leave renders to run overnight so not sure if there is much more to justify spending a lot more to get that CPU?

While researching I read once or twice about the Nvidia cards being better suited to programs like Revit and Autocad, not sure how much truth there is in this?

I agree on maybe overdoing the RAM so will most likely go for 16gb and save a bit there.

I planned on installing and running the OS on the SSD and then all other programs on a HDD and using the 3rd HDD for files and as a scratch disk for photoshop.

Thanks for the suggestion on the PSU, once I have the components finalised I will look into what PSU I ideally need.

Can you suggest a CPU cooler?

Best solution

October 30, 2012 8:00:06 PM

badja said:
Hi RedJaron

It is for my work/profession. I'm not too concerned with rendering speeds as I can generally leave renders to run overnight so not sure if there is much more to justify spending a lot more to get that CPU?
You can check Tom's reviews on the SB-E chips and decide if the extra power is worth it to you. If you're not going that route, definitely stay with the 3770.

While researching I read once or twice about the Nvidia cards being better suited to programs like Revit and Autocad, not sure how much truth there is in this?
Again, I don't know. You'll need to check with the programs you use and what cards or acceleration protocols they support. I was always under the impression that CUDA was more for video and media transcoding, not so much for 3D design. As Finn says, right now Radeon has far better OpenCL performance than nVidia. Check your apps and see what they support.

I agree on maybe overdoing the RAM so will most likely go for 16gb and save a bit there.
If you really want to go overboard, grab 32GB and set up a RAM disk for a render/scratch drive! I kid, but only slightly.

I planned on installing and running the OS on the SSD and then all other programs on a HDD and using the 3rd HDD for files and as a scratch disk for photoshop.
That's what I and a lot of people do. I don't know how large your design programs are, but you might be able to fit them on a 128GB SSD ( I can get Win7 and several large games on mine. ) You might try a third option that I did: One SSD for OS and a few select apps for fast loading; one small performance HDD for all other apps; one large, slow HDD for data storage. Just note I only have this setup because I had a spare WD Black 250GB drive laying around.It's definitely a niche thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestion on the PSU, once I have the components finalised I will look into what PSU I ideally need.
If you're not going to a SB-E chip or a really high-end GPU, I really don't think you'll need more than a 500W PSU ( so long as it has the right PCIe connectors for your card. ) Newegg has this Antec 650W for as much as you'd spend on most 500W so you might want to snag it.

Can you suggest a CPU cooler?
I'm using a Xigmatek Gaia, though a lot of people like the CM212. Both are very good for their price. You can spend more, but you quickly hit diminishing returns.

Answers in red.
October 31, 2012 3:10:43 PM

Best answer selected by badja.
October 31, 2012 3:11:06 PM

Awesome helpful response RedJaron.

Will post up what I go for once I have decided finally on everything ;) 
October 31, 2012 5:27:10 PM

So this is what I've settled on, could someone check and confirm it's all compatible please?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m33Y

Any final advice or thoughts welcome :) 
October 31, 2012 6:07:41 PM

This ASRock board costs less, gives you eSATA, better audio jacks, and will overclock better. The Antec PSU saves a bit of money over the Corsair ( both good choices, ) and only sacrifices one SATA and one floppy power connector, neither of which you'll miss.

And did you check on whether your design programs can utilize a Radeon 7850? It will give you as good or better game performance as the 560 at less power and the OpenCL compute is much better than the 560. However if you need CUDA, then the 560 is a solid choice.

PCPartPicker part list

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
October 31, 2012 6:16:58 PM

Thanks for this RedJaron. I'm looking into the Radeon 7850 now that you recommend, so far it's actually looking like a better option!!! Will confirm what I go with.

Trying to cut the costs down a bit so will look at that motherboard and PSU too...
November 1, 2012 12:42:36 PM

Don't know why but there is not much price difference here in SA, between the PSU and motherboard you recommend over the ones I chose originally. Think I will go with the ASrock motherboard and still to decide on the PSU.

I'm leaning toward the Radeon 7850 though so thanks a stack for suggesting it!
November 1, 2012 4:20:44 PM

badja said:
Don't know why but there is not much price difference here in SA, between the PSU and motherboard you recommend over the ones I chose originally. Think I will go with the ASrock motherboard and still to decide on the PSU.
Ok, that's my bad for not checking your location first. Yes, I was checking American prices and shipping, so yours may be quite a bit different.
November 1, 2012 9:52:16 PM

Shouldn't be a problem. Low-profile means it should fit under most CPU coolers.
!