Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming pc for $450

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 30, 2012 8:05:06 PM

Hello everyone I am about to build my first gaming pc and was wondering what would be the best option



Approximate Purchase Date: in the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: $450

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming
Are you buying a monitor: no


Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.ca and ncix.ca

Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada


Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x 768 or 1280x1024 ( I have 2 monitors, so i can use either)

Additional Comments: I want to use the Zalman Z11 plus mid tower atx case black

More about : gaming 450

October 30, 2012 10:07:13 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXlZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXlZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXlZ/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($74.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Total: $413.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Crossfire the 6670 with the A10 and you're getting about HD 7850 performance.

Fast memory greatly improves framerates with APUs.

I'm also assuming you're going to overclock, so I added in a CPU cooler.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:17:44 PM

thanks for the awesome reply:)  Just wondering but do you think I could play battlefield 3 on this?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 30, 2012 10:17:47 PM

^ I second that build. That'll get you quite a bit of power on a nice tight budget. Don't forget to buy the case you like.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:17:48 PM

Please read this article on Hexus. They benchmark the A10 APU, A10 with discrete 6670 & A10 Crossfired with a discrete 6670 HERE.

The results might not be what you think they should be.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:20:25 PM

also would it be more future proof to put in an intel processor?
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:27:46 PM

arrox said:
also would it be more future proof to put in an intel processor?


The problem with "future proofing" is that we know where 1155 stops. We don't know where AM3+ or FM2 will end.

If you get the A10 you have to get an FM2 motherboard. No one knows if AMD will continue on with them or ditch it like they did the FM1.

Intels 1155 ends at i7. So you can start with a Pentium G860/G870/G2120 then go to i5/i7. Haswell won't be 1155.

The Piledriver CPU's FX-4300, FX-6300 & FX-8320/8350 just released on AM3+. Again we don't know if AMD will keep this socket. Rumors say they will keep AM3+ for the next gen (can't remember their code name) but that's just a rumor.

Edit: Horrible grammar
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:47:24 PM

haha im a complete pc noob so i have no clue what you said, but would I get better performance if i swapped the amd processor and put in an intel core i3 3220/3225 and a different motherboard if i needed to?

ps. im not overclocking
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:26:31 PM

arrox said:
thanks for the awesome reply:)  Just wondering but do you think I could play battlefield 3 on this?



Gets between 20-30FPS. Not bad for an integrated chip.

Video description -

FPS on default 3.8GHZ (Getting 5-7 FPS Boost by enabling Turbo-boost @ 4.2GHZ)
22-24 FPS on Ultra settings @ 1920 x 1080
24-27 FPS on Ultra settings @ 1400 x 900
30-32 FPS on Ultra settings @ 1280 x 720
31-33 FPS on Low settings @ 1920 x 1080

Recorded at 1280 x 720 on Medium settings
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:36:43 PM

thanks for the help everyone, i think im gonna go ahead and build it, wish me luck :) 
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:47:19 PM

Have fun with the build, and enjoy your new computer! :) 
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:00:14 AM

You should use the 2133 RAM. It'll have a noticeable increase in performance with the APU.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:01:53 AM

i cant find it anywhere, could you give me a link to a canadian store?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:07:07 AM

thanks a lot :) 
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:10:51 AM

is that compatible with my motherboard?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:12:37 AM

the reviews say it has bad timing, whats that?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:18:40 AM

I'm not to RAM savvy, but I'm pretty sure you'll want a lower RAM timing, so the Mushkin for $30 more would be a little better. Most RAM models that run faster than 1600 don't have great timings. You would still see a benefit with the APU, though. If you were building any other kind of PC then I would recommend 1600, but that's not the case.

The G.Skill is fine.

Edit - The ASRock motherboard supports up to DDR3 2400, but it will run at 1866 until you manually run it at 2133.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:44:28 AM

arrox said:
the reviews say it has bad timing, whats that?

i fixed the link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lYef
CPU phenom II 955
mobo asrock AM3+ 970
RAM 2x4gb 1333
graphics card amd hd 7770
HDD 1tb 7200
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:55:10 AM

oxford373 said:
i fixed the link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lYef
CPU phenom II 955
mobo asrock AM3+ 970
RAM 2x4gb 1333
graphics card amd hd 7770
HDD 1tb 7200


I'm pretty sure he's set on the A10 system.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:03:50 AM

The Phenom system.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:03:51 AM

i still havent ordered, which one is better =p?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:05:44 AM

now im confused, wouldnt the a10 system be better since its higher ghz?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:07:50 AM

Higher GHz isn't everything nowadays.

The A10's CPU alone isn't much better than the Phenom, but it is newer technology and more power efficient. The Phenom is older but the 7770 is a better performer. It'll perform better in games.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:12:16 AM

if i got the a10 and 7770 together would it perform better?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:21:13 AM

:\ It might, but it defeats the purpose of even getting the A10. You won't be able to run Dual Graphics with it.

If you wanted to stretch your budget a little bit, then consider this i3 system with the 7770. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lYQX I don't know how good/bad the motherboard is, though. The i3 is much better and much more power efficient than both the A10 and the Phenom system for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ECS B75H2-M3(1.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $463.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:26:52 AM

now this is getting to complicated i think, i didnt even know i could run dual graphics, or what that is for a better matter =p
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:34:02 AM

so the phenom build would be better for gaming?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:37:49 AM

oxford373 said:
phenom II 965 vs A10-5800K http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=102
@kenwoodgt,nice build but ECS motherboards are the worst


I know, they're ***. It's russian roulette with them, but I figured they were OK if you weren't overclocking. My old 775's motherboard was an ECS. Can't handle an overclock. >.>

arrox, with a different motherboard I still think the i3 would be best.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:40:07 AM

phenom II CPU won't be bottleneck for hd 7770 in any game ,and yes phenom build is better than A10-5800K in games,i3-3220 is 5% faster in games but you wont notice the difference.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:43:21 AM

one of my friends bought ECS H61 motherboard and it died after 2 months and since then i cant advise any one to buy ECS.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:43:56 AM

oxford373 said:
phenom II CPU wont be bottleneck for hd 7770 in any game ,and yes phenom build is better than A10-5800K in games,i3-3220 is 5% faster in games but you wont notice the difference.

Is it? I thought it was more than that.

I doubt any processor made in the last 4 years would be a bottleneck for the 7770. It's a midrange card.

Edit - My old ECS motherboard that came with my eMachines desktop lasted a year and a half, due to a failed overclock (E5300 @ 3.6GHz, like 300 something FSB...fail).
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:51:17 AM

^core i3 should be 10%-15% in lightly threaded games like star craft II and skyrim and tie in all highly multithreaded games like( battlefield 3,dirt 3,crysis 2,just cause 2).
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:27:01 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't actually seen the benchmarks myself for dual graphics, and I will admit I'm surprised.

The Phenom will definitely outperform the A10; the A10 is an Athlon with good built in graphics.

Here's a Phenom build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZmE
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZmE/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZmE/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX T1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Total: $427.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Here's a better i3 build (Thermaltake PSU's are of low quality)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZoB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZoB/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZoB/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Total: $438.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The Antec VP 450 is the best power supply under $40; it will run any card below a 560ti and is a tier 2 power supply, meaning it'll last longer than say, a CX 430. Don't cheap out on the PSU, anything under $40 that has over 450W is taking a risk.



m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:33:41 AM

sonicers said:


(Thermaltake PSU's are of low quality)

They aren't too bad. They aren't a Corsair or an Antec, but they aren't low quality. I have one. It was pretty good until I got a laptop. Now it's in its box.

That's a smart Phenom build you picked out.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 3:03:16 AM

sonicers said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXlZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXlZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXlZ/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($74.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Total: $413.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Crossfire the 6670 with the A10 and you're getting about HD 7850 performance.

Fast memory greatly improves framerates with APUs.

I'm also assuming you're going to overclock, so I added in a CPU cooler.


Get a Phenom and a 7850 2gb instead. I highly recommend against crossfiring with Trinity.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 3:07:23 AM

CaptainTom said:
Get a Phenom and a 7850 2gb instead. I highly recommend against crossfiring with Trinity.

That will throw him over budget and he's going to be running at 1024x768 or 1280x1024. The 7770 is plenty.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 3:57:24 AM

CaptainTom said:
Get a Phenom and a 7850 2gb instead. I highly recommend against crossfiring with Trinity.


It's funny because I just put up a build with a Phenom. I also addressed the issue with Dual Graphics. It's cool though. Totally cool. Btw, the 7850 goes over his budget, which is why I didn't suggest it.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 10:07:24 PM

okay so im planning on building the i3 build sonicers made a few posts above, but one last question, will i have sound?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 10:11:27 PM

Yes. Most (if not all) modern motherboards have built in sound cards.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 10:15:59 PM

awesome :) 
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:08:40 PM

hey i just got my budget increased and can get a radeon hd 7850 with an amd a10-5800k, would that be better than the i3 build?
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:11:17 PM

No. The i3 is better for gaming. The A10 is a waste of time for anything more than a 6670 or the integrated graphics. It's literally an Athlon.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:25:04 PM

well i really want to go for an amd build and not intel for some reason so what would you recommend then?
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:28:20 PM

If you replace the 7770 with the 7850 then you'll have a good system.

sonicers said:


The Phenom will definitely outperform the A10; the A10 is an Athlon with good built in graphics.

Here's a Phenom build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZmE
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZmE/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZmE/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX T1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Total: $427.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
.

m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:33:31 PM

okay thanks, im going to ncix tommorrow, lets see what i get :) 
m
0
l
!