Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a new PC, first timer, medium to high end, at most 475-575$

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 30, 2012 8:12:57 PM

Hey forum people, new member of the forum but have been a viewer since I got into computers over the past year. I've been saving up my money and I want to build a medium to high end gaming computer. I am looking to run games like, fallout 3/ new vegas, skyrim, BF3, ARMA II, DayZ mod, and other newer games (dishonored maybe)
I would prefer if the computer had a intel core i5 since thats the medium end one, and is in my price range. I don't need peripherals such as monitors, keyboards, or mice, because I already know what I need for that. I hope you guys can help me, and as a added bonus, maybe tell me a simple way to put it together if or when I purchase the parts/ what I need to get it together.
Thanks!
October 30, 2012 8:26:48 PM

Do you need an OS? At that budget I don't think you'll be able to play newer games on high settings. Medium may be attainable.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 8:35:20 PM

tiny voices said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lWJA

I would do this.


He can save $10 by going with Patriot Viper 3 memory over the G.Skill Ares, but that's pretty much what I would go with too. If he needs an OS it will be another story.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 9:59:47 PM

TheShepherd said:
Do you need an OS? At that budget I don't think you'll be able to play newer games on high settings. Medium may be attainable.


I've got a OS. (windows 7) AKA old faithful, as far as I know, I am never upgrading to Windows 8
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:08:49 PM

Also I am going to get a deal on a Geforce 550 ti for 80$ instead of the usual 140$
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:17:12 PM

That card isn't any better than a 7770. I wouldn't go with it unless you have to.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 10:18:33 PM

The Viper 3 is out of stock, lol. Get with the program.

You could do SO much better with $575. As in, i5 + 7870 better. If he doesn't overclock, he doesn't need a fancy motherboard, and he doesn't need a fancy case either.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXsu
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXsu/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXsu/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ECS B75H2-M3(1.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $575.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:20:13 AM

sonicers said:
The Viper 3 is out of stock, lol. Get with the program.

You could do SO much better with $575. As in, i5 + 7870 better. If he doesn't overclock, he doesn't need a fancy motherboard, and he doesn't need a fancy case either.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXsu
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXsu/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXsu/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ECS B75H2-M3(1.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $575.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Well 575$ is the most money I could have, I was looking for something for a little less so I have money to buy some games on steam. As for the GFX Card, I don't need anything too high end, just too run most of those games on medium to high settings. For a gfx card the most money I would be willing to spend is maybe 120$, and also I still need to buy the peripherals, I need a bit of money left over for that.
Also if someone can recommend a cheap graphics card thats worth its weight, that would be great, and in my price zone would be fantastic too. Remember to please put it in laymans terms as I am still learning. Thanks for the suggestions though!
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 12:28:33 AM

7770 is a great card for the money in your price range
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 10:29:43 AM

tiny voices said:
7770 is a great card for the money in your price range


Can you give me the full name of the card?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:38:18 PM

Are you near a microcenter. they tend to have better deals on cpus. A 7770 would be a good cpu if you have a tight budget
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:28:31 AM

jackspeed said:
Are you near a microcenter. they tend to have better deals on cpus. A 7770 would be a good cpu if you have a tight budget


I'll check

EDIT: No, I just checked, none even remotely near me
m
0
l
!