Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best PC Gaming Build under $1000 (First Build)

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 30, 2012 8:29:21 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: November 2012

Budget Range: $900-$1000 Including tax, software, shipping, accessories (Like monitor, keyboard, mouse).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the Internet, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Windows 7 home premium)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg, or any reliable website with good deals

Location: Maryland, USA

Parts Preferences: No preferences. Just would like good parts!

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like to use it mainly for games like Skyrim, and hopefully, downloading mods for Skyrim. Also, I would like to add that I'm buying Windows 7 Home premium ($100), a keyboard and mouse ($40), and a 1080p monitor ($130). So to the kind people giving suggestions: Please either suggest a build that is $780 at the most, or around $1000 with the software and accessories included. And yes, I am aware of black Friday. My actual budget for the whole thing is around 800. Thank you :) 

Best solution

October 30, 2012 8:56:19 PM

Something like this would be fairly good, at your budget.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($55.71 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $754.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

It would be nice to have an unlocked i5-3570K, Z77 mobo, and cooler, to allow for cpu overclocking, but that would go well over budget. There are, however, some good combo deals around, with Newegg, or Microcentre, for ASRock Z77Extreme 4 mobo, either with processor, or with RAM, which MIGHT make CPU overclocking viable. It's a question, of keeping you eyes open, for a possible deal.
It would also have been nice to include, something like a 128GB SSD, like an OCZ Vertex 4, perhaps dropping HDD size. Again, that would go over budget, unless you happen to see a good deal.
Share
October 30, 2012 9:40:49 PM

Thank you. And do you think this has the capability to play RPGs like skyrim maxed out or even with texture mods? Also, do you know if any of these items will have holiday/black friday discounts in the future? Thank you :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 11:05:59 PM

Benchmark for HD7870.<a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548 /a>
Those bench are for reference card/settings. Allowing for OC, and latest drivers, you may get 20% better than shown.
Your guess is as good as mine, as to what will be on offer, on BF.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:22:18 PM

At the moment, a gtx 660 is better than a 7870.

Look around for benchmarks of the 12.11 beta drivers to see how the 7870 fairs up against the gtx 660. Or wait till the drivers come out and make your decision then.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:46:16 PM

malbluff said:
Something like this would be fairly good, at your budget.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($55.71 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $754.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

It would be nice to have an unlocked i5-3570K, Z77 mobo, and cooler, to allow for cpu overclocking, but that would go well over budget. There are, however, some good combo deals around, with Newegg, or Microcentre, for ASRock Z77Extreme 4 mobo, either with processor, or with RAM, which MIGHT make CPU overclocking viable. It's a question, of keeping you eyes open, for a possible deal.
It would also have been nice to include, something like a 128GB SSD, like an OCZ Vertex 4, perhaps dropping HDD size. Again, that would go over budget, unless you happen to see a good deal.


He has a 900$ budget, I'f I where him, I would get an H50 and an 3570k.

Also, I'd rather have a 660 than a 7870 ;) 
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:42:56 AM

An H50? No, just no. Its loud. Get real watercooling or dump the whole thing and get an air cooler.

You guys know how AMD beats nVidia this time? Driver updates really do improve performance. 7870s are great overclockers too.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:51:06 AM

Would recommend 3570k too along with at least Hyper Evo if you are going to do any OC at all as the ivy bridge runs very hot. the 7870 Twin Frozr OC is a good card for the money too.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:02:29 AM

austing said:
He has a 900$ budget, I'f I where him, I would get an H50 and an 3570k.

Also, I'd rather have a 660 than a 7870 ;) 

Budget is $780 + peripherals. If it were $900, I'd have used i5-3570K, and found room for an SSD, as I SAID. Couldn't find a useful way to use $25 change.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:07:20 AM

Nw333 said:
An H50? No, just no. Its loud. Get real watercooling or dump the whole thing and get an air cooler.

You guys know how AMD beats nVidia this time? Driver updates really do improve performance. 7870s are great overclockers too.

Agree HD7870 has the edge, at moment, overall, including Skyrim, especially with latest drivers. Of course, nVidia, is coming with new drivers, but if you worry to much about the next set of drivers, you'll never make a decision.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:46:21 PM

Thank you, malbluff. I was also wondering: Does it matter what type of HD7870 I decide to go with? Will a sapphire or a gigabyte radeon hd 7870 fit? (As opposed to msi?)
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:54:46 PM

Yes, no problem about fitting. MSI version particularly well regarded. Gigabyte are always pretty good. XFX is another one, or Sapphire. Generally prefer the ones with twin fans, as they tend to keep cooler, and quieter, when overclocking.
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 6:09:10 PM

Best answer selected by Zaika.
m
0
l
!