Your question

Instability in New Games

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2012 6:23:36 PM

Recently new games have been crashing on me consistently and at certain moments in games. What would happen is the game will freeze and a few objects will become distorted with multi-colored lines and then crash to the desktop or force me to ctrl-alt-del out of the game and force close. I can hear the audio from the game when this happens aswell. I was playing Ghost Recon Future Soldier today and my computer actually crashed and left me this message upon start up...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA801086F4E0
BCP2: FFFFF88010B671A4
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090312-22604-01.dmp
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-82150-0.sysdata.xml

I have crashing problems in LA Noire, Crysis 2, and Ghost Recon Future Soldier, all of these games being through Steam, all recently bought. I know turning the visual fidelity down to minimum relieves the issue but I can not tolerate not useing my computer to its full potential. It seems the issue is only in new games but I have not tested this thouroughly enough to be certain. I have tried rolling back drivers and using 1 card to no avail. I woinder if the graphics card is failing me as I have had them for a year with no issues, I have also wondered if it was heat related but I believe it is not. I have no clue what to make of these issues so any help would be much appreciated!

More about : instability games

a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 7:05:56 PM

use gpuz to tell us the temps of the gpus while they are under load. also what powersupply do you have? have you tried the latest drivers from nvidia?
m
l
September 3, 2012 8:05:19 PM

Power supply is 1200 watts, latest non Beta Drivers, and the temps are in the mid 80s when playing Skyrim
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 8:09:40 PM

in your post you said it crashes and you can cntrl+alt+delt to desktop but then in your problem description you say that its a Blue Screen...which one is it? does it do both? is your cpu overclocked?
m
l
September 3, 2012 8:27:15 PM

It was the first time the computer crashed during a game, not crashed to desktop. It has crashed many times to desktop but never forced the computer to restart. Nothing is overclocked, everything is factory
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 8:32:51 PM

hmmm I get random BSOD's in games and I know that it is driver related...nvidia has a reputation of not fixing issues with older graphics cards...basically if its not the latest and greatest expect crappy driver support.....try the latest beta driver and see if that helps you can also try removing the driver reminants after you uninstall them using driver fusion and ccleaner before you install the new ones
m
l
September 3, 2012 8:38:28 PM

The only BSOD I have gotten is today and it wasnt even normal, it was just a brown screen and then restarted. This issue with instability has been happening for a couple of months now, ever since I bought LA Noirse and Crysis 2. It seems to only affect these new DX11 games and nothing else but turning off DX11 does not help Ghost Recon, which appears to be the most unstable of them all. I have tried a few different drivers and the issue is still ongoing.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 9:53:02 PM

are there any issues with dx9 games like call of duty?
m
l
September 3, 2012 10:16:17 PM

What brand is the PSU. Simply saying its 1200w doesnt mean much. It could be supplying a lot less power if it is a garbage PSU. Could be your memory. Try memtest?
m
l
September 3, 2012 10:22:39 PM

It is not the power supply. I have had this computer for 2 years and have had few issues. This is a recent problem.
m
l
September 3, 2012 11:32:18 PM

And poor PSUs (if that is the case) degrade over time quicker than a higher quality one. Not quite sure why you wouldnt at least say who makes it. But ok. Crashing on games that put your GPU and CPU under heavier load than others, is a good indication it isnt getting enough power. And 2 580s is quite a power hungry system. Good luck.
m
l
September 4, 2012 2:12:09 AM

I am not sure what brand the power supply is. The computer is a family computer made by Alienware. I can only assume that Alienware supplied a decent power supply and not a "garbage" psu, especially for the premium they demand. How can I check if the PSU has degraded to a serious degree? Thanks so far!
m
l
September 4, 2012 2:44:14 AM

Chances are unless whoever bought the PC ordered an upgraded PSU, its as low end as they can possibly get in order to maximize profits. Generally thats how big PC builders do it. IBuyPower does it and others. Take off the left side of the PC case and look at who makes the PSU.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 2:54:35 AM

not only who makes it but also the amperage on the +12v rail
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 2:55:55 AM

rule with a crashing pc...heat...power...or a bad part. if the unit not clogged with dust and the fans are moving and both gpu and cpu are not over heating. then i would make a memtest boot cd and see if your ram is fine or there a bad bit. I would also use cpu-z and see if the vendor set the ram speed up right. cpu-z will read the ram speed but also look under the ram spd info for it rated speed. the vendor may have overclocked some standard ram and now it having issue. (on some system with older 1.65 volt ram you may have to raise the dram voltage a bit).
m
l
September 4, 2012 4:03:29 AM

I used memtest and ran 5 of them, each to 150% and it reported no problems. Should I have run it longer?
m
l
!