Sign in with
Your question

Low 3dMark 2011 on Asus 7870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2012 6:28:40 PM

I just put together a new build (i7 with AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7870), and ran 3D Mark and got a score of 5880, which based on what I have seen is 500-1,000 points too low. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Intel DH77EB
CPU: i7 3770S 3.1GHz with Turbo to 3.9GHz, Ivy Bridge
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 SSD
GFX: Asus HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 w/latest Catalyst Drivers
RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz
Power Supply: 550W

Here are my results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4290046

A couple of things look strange on the readout, but perhaps that is a function of Windows 8:
- Shows my RAM at 667MHz, when it should read 800MHz (RAM is 1600MHz, and is set to that profile in BIOS)
- Shows CPU at 1.6GHz, I believe this is just the initial reading before the processor ramps up
- CPU-z and other system info apps show the processor at the correct speed and RAM at correct speed

A couple other things look odd when I ran it:
- I ran GPU-z, and it shows that my "Memory Usage (Dedicated)" is 0MB the whole time, where "Memory Usage (Dynamic)" is the one that runs up as the benchmark starts running

So I am guessing my problem lies in several areas:
- Conflicts with Windows 8, despite being a "final" build (the Consumer Preview)
- Somehow, the software is ignoring my graphics card memory and using RAM (as show in the reading in GPU-z). I am not sure how that is - I did not see a setting in BIOS to set RAM aside for GPU, and I am told that such a setting is not relevant anymore since its controlled by the OS. At any rate, I have the integrated GPU on the CPU turned off in BIOS
- Bad hardware - not sure if bad hardware would simply run slow rather than be completely broken - the fact that everything appears to work right, just low 3dMark score.
- CPU is not ramping correctly. According to CPU-z, it does ramp up in speed as load increases

Any help from the community, particularly people with similar builds and/or running Windows 8, that would be great.

Thanks.
September 3, 2012 6:40:45 PM

Rlin5741 said:
I just put together a new build (i7 with AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7870), and ran 3D Mark and got a score of 5880, which based on what I have seen is 500-1,000 points too low. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Intel DH77EB
CPU: i7 3770S 3.1GHz with Turbo to 3.9GHz, Ivy Bridge
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 SSD
GFX: Asus HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 w/latest Catalyst Drivers
RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz
Power Supply: 550W

Here are my results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4290046

A couple of things look strange on the readout, but perhaps that is a function of Windows 8:
- Shows my RAM at 667MHz, when it should read 800MHz (RAM is 1600MHz, and is set to that profile in BIOS)
- Shows CPU at 1.6GHz, I believe this is just the initial reading before the processor ramps up
- CPU-z and other system info apps show the processor at the correct speed and RAM at correct speed

A couple other things look odd when I ran it:
- I ran GPU-z, and it shows that my "Memory Usage (Dedicated)" is 0MB the whole time, where "Memory Usage (Dynamic)" is the one that runs up as the benchmark starts running

So I am guessing my problem lies in several areas:
- Conflicts with Windows 8, despite being a "final" build (the Consumer Preview)
- Somehow, the software is ignoring my graphics card memory and using RAM (as show in the reading in GPU-z). I am not sure how that is - I did not see a setting in BIOS to set RAM aside for GPU, and I am told that such a setting is not relevant anymore since its controlled by the OS. At any rate, I have the integrated GPU on the CPU turned off in BIOS
- Bad hardware - not sure if bad hardware would simply run slow rather than be completely broken - the fact that everything appears to work right, just low 3dMark score.
- CPU is not ramping correctly. According to CPU-z, it does ramp up in speed as load increases

Any help from the community, particularly people with similar builds and/or running Windows 8, that would be great.

Thanks.

Windows 8 Consumer preview isn't the final build for Windows 8, the RTM build is and this is currently only available to MSDN and Technet subscribers. The WDDM 1.2 drivers are still immature. Test it on Windows 7 and see what you get
September 3, 2012 7:22:15 PM

Which 550W are you using?
Related resources
September 3, 2012 10:15:55 PM

Deemo13 said:
Which 550W are you using?

I am using an Antec BP550. It should be OK - 80PLUS Silver Certified, good reputable company. Min for the 7870 specified 550Watt - I realize I am working with bare minimum here but do not intend to do much overclocking or adding more drives or Crossfire.
September 3, 2012 10:17:06 PM

No that power supply should be plenty. I was just making sure that you weren't running some lame PSU.
September 3, 2012 10:34:23 PM

Pinhedd said:
Windows 8 Consumer preview isn't the final build for Windows 8, the RTM build is and this is currently only available to MSDN and Technet subscribers. The WDDM 1.2 drivers are still immature. Test it on Windows 7 and see what you get

I just realized, I am running Release Preview, rather than Consumer Preview. Would the drivers still be off in that version?
September 3, 2012 10:59:50 PM

Rlin5741 said:
I just realized, I am running Release Preview, rather than Consumer Preview. Would the drivers still be off in that version?

Neither of those are the RTM version :p  The RTM version is only available to Technet and MSDN subscribers :)  I can tell you that it's a little bit different
November 11, 2012 7:28:51 PM

I figured I would follow up and close this thread. Installed the full retail Win 8 Pro version, and now my score is in low to mid 6000s. Looks like kinks in compatibility are still getting worked out, hopefully will get better as code gets optimized for win 8
November 14, 2012 9:41:21 AM

I got P6487 (3Dmark11).but with my overclocker AMD llano 3850 running 3,1GHZ. So i think it is the maximum score to get with 7870, altough you got a i7,you must have a higher score...
!