ist Ds ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 17, 2005 9:03:19 AM

I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.

Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?

Glenn

More about : ist

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:55:48 PM

In article <bo6nu01ur6klvmrdemha7djqdjog974fo0@4ax.com>,
Glenn <gward1nospam@rogers.com> wrote:
>I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.
>
>Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?

<SMARTASS>
It doesn't use negatives - it's a digital camera.
</SMARTASS>

Seriously:

It's a fine camera. I own it's older sibling, the *ist-D,
The only drawback, from my viewpoint, is that it is a little
more awkward to use the DS in full manual exposure mode, as
it lacks the second control dial. But in several other ways
the DS has improved on the D.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:34:48 PM

Glenn wrote:
> I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.
>
> Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?

The lack of response does show that its not a very popular or widely
sold camera :)

But then popularity or sales volumes have no direct relation to
quality.

- Siddhartha
Related resources
January 18, 2005 8:20:13 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Glenn wrote:
> > I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.
> >
> > Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?
>
> The lack of response does show that its not a very popular or widely
> sold camera :)
>
> But then popularity or sales volumes have no direct relation to
> quality.

So far I've sold all the ones I had, nice little camera. Pentax only
released it this fall, I got my stock in December. The Canon Digital Rebel
(300D) has a year or so longer on the market. Pentax is not as aggressive in
marketing, so that may account for something.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:56:08 PM

On 18 Jan 2005 10:34:48 -0800, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> Glenn wrote:
>> I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.
>>
>> Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?
>
> The lack of response does show that its not a very popular or widely
> sold camera :)
>
> But then popularity or sales volumes have no direct relation to
> quality.

I don't think so. If the OP had asked for general comments I'd have made
some, but since *negative* experiences were being requested I don't have
any. I suspect not many other users do either.

--
John Bean

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them (Isaac Asimov)
January 19, 2005 9:04:09 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:03:19 -0500, Glenn <gward1nospam@rogers.com>
wrote:

>I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.
>
>Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?
>
>Glenn

I know that the camera has not been out very long and Pentax will
never sell near as many cameras as Canon or Nikon, but I was just
trying to see if there were any major disappointments or surprises.

No bad comments at all. That is good. I think I will go out and buy it
today.

Thanks all.

Glenn
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:44:09 PM

Glenn wrote:

> I am planing on getting a Pentax ist Ds this week.
>
> Does anyone have any negative experiences with this camera?

I don't have one. Does that count as negative?

On spec, and from the samples seen it appears to be quite capable. If you
already have a few Pentax lenses then definitiely the way to go. Otherwise,
consider the others as well. (D70, 300D) and perhaps the 7D or 20D if you have
the sheckles for it.

The *ist D has the odd ISO limit of 200 at the slow end (Like the Nikon using
the same sensor).

A brief summary (Pros-cons) appears here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/page18.asp

G'luck.

January 20, 2005 5:59:51 AM

Glenn <gward1nospam@rogers.com> wrote:
:
: No bad comments at all. That is good. I think I will go out and buy it
: today.

I've had mine since mid-November, and I love it!

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:44:09 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>On spec, and from the samples seen it appears to be quite capable. If you
>already have a few Pentax lenses then definitiely the way to go. Otherwise,
>consider the others as well. (D70, 300D) and perhaps the 7D or 20D if you have
>the sheckles for it.
>
>The *ist D has the odd ISO limit of 200 at the slow end (Like the Nikon using
>the same sensor).
>
>A brief summary (Pros-cons) appears here:
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/page18.asp
>
>G'luck.

Note that this review is for the ist D not the ist Ds.

Thanks anyway.

Glenn
January 20, 2005 11:40:10 AM

"Glenn" <gward1nospam@rogers.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:44:09 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

> >On spec, and from the samples seen it appears to be quite capable. If
you
> >already have a few Pentax lenses then definitiely the way to go.
Otherwise,
> >consider the others as well. (D70, 300D) and perhaps the 7D or 20D if you
have
> >the sheckles for it.
> >
> >The *ist D has the odd ISO limit of 200 at the slow end (Like the Nikon
using
> >the same sensor).
> >
> >A brief summary (Pros-cons) appears here:
> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/page18.asp
> >
> >G'luck.
>
> Note that this review is for the ist D not the ist Ds.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Glenn

DPreview has a "preview" for the *ist DS at:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds
But no review as of yet.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:00:23 PM

Glenn wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:44:09 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>On spec, and from the samples seen it appears to be quite capable. If you
>>already have a few Pentax lenses then definitiely the way to go. Otherwise,
>>consider the others as well. (D70, 300D) and perhaps the 7D or 20D if you have
>>the sheckles for it.
>>
>>The *ist D has the odd ISO limit of 200 at the slow end (Like the Nikon using
>>the same sensor).
>>
>>A brief summary (Pros-cons) appears here:
>>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/page18.asp
>>
>>G'luck.
>

> Note that this review is for the ist D not the ist Ds.

Sorry about that. I'm sure some of the comments apply in any case where image
quality is concerned.

Cheers,
Alan