Modern video card with DX9

Solution
No worries, mate, the latest and greatest will still run DX9, although they'll often take a bit of a performance hit ( my Win 7/HD6950 will run the original Unreal, and that's a DX5 title!).
More detailed specs would be helpful, though-some older PCI-E 1.0/1.0a motherboards have issues with PCI-E 2.1 cards.
BUT, dependng on what one is currently installed, you may need to replace the powersupply to cope with the replacement card.

bjfaia5

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Ok I'm kind of confused. Right now I'm still running Windows XP, I'm going to be upgrading soon but for now that' what I got. The problem is XP on supports up to DX9 but modern video cards like Nvidia GTX 500 and 600 series says DX11. So what I want to know is will a DX11 video card like the 500 or 600 series work with an old OS that supports only up to DX9? Also do I have to do anything to make it work?

No worries, mate, the latest and greatest will still run DX9, although they'll often take a bit of a performance hit ( my Win 7/HD6950 will run the original Unreal, and that's a DX5 title!).
More detailed specs would be helpful, though-some older PCI-E 1.0/1.0a motherboards have issues with PCI-E 2.1 cards.
BUT, dependng on what one is currently installed, you may need to replace the powersupply to cope with the replacement card.

Solution

bjfaia5

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I figured that I just didn't know if I would be taking a big performance hit with DX9. I'm upgrading just the video card for now it's the last thing to upgrade other than the OS. I have a Seasonic 500 Watt modular PSU that should be more than enough.

Ok good. How much of a performance hit do you think you will take in percents. This is a recent Z68 motherboard so it has the latest 2.0 or 2.1 PCI-E slot.

Case- Couger Solution
Motherboard- FoxConn Z68A-S
PSU- Seasonic 500 Watt Modular PSU
CPU-I5 2500k
Videocard- Probably a GTX 650Ti or 660Ti I haven't decided yet

Thought that since your were running XP the system would be older ;)
Anwser is; Do 't worry, there's nothing you can do about it other than to switch to Win 7, besides the hit is more likey to effect older games rather than new (odd, but true).

EDIT FOR SLOW TYPING: You'll always be limited to DX 9 as long as you stay with XP so if you run, say Metro 2033 you'll only be able to use its DX9 renderer, neither DX10 nor DX11 will be available.