nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Hello, my computer has been recently booting down without any kind of notice. It isn't the normal kind of shut down, but a hard stop, with no prior notice. I checked the windows log, but most of the errors just list " the shutdown at X time was not expected", the only critical error I found was :

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I checked all of my PSU cables, everything looks well connected. All the parts are less than a week old and other than these random boots, it runs perfectly. Checked my heat, my cpu is sitting at 23 C ( i5 3570k ) and my gpu idles at 30 C. The maximum amount I've seen is 40 C on my processor and about 70 C on my GPU ( GTX 680 ). It has never had one of these hard stops during a game, but at random while doing idle tasks. Such as installing GW2 tonight. :/

Forgot to mention my parts :

Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Adata 128 gb SSD
Seagate 3T HDD
Intel i5 3570k ( stock speed )
Cooler master hyper 212 cooler aftermarket cooler
Seasonic 750w psu
EVGA GTX 680

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Browsing the event viewer a bit more, I noticed I got this error :

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Just around the time my computer hard reset. Any idea ?

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Reinstalled windows. Reinstalled drivers. Had one hard stop during the driver installation, hoping that was a fluke. :/

New windows install fully completed. Installing the last update on windows update and no hard stops so far. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I heard there was sometimes an issue with installing SP1 that could cause some issues. Then again I didn't realize they were these kinds of issues. :S Will post if there's any further complications.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I saw a few folks immediately crying PSU. But that just seems out of the realm of possibility, as my system will run sometimes for several hours, and other times for only a few minutes. As of this moment, it's been running rather solid, with good temps for roughly a half hour. Hoping for the best. I believe I may have missed some updates do to some kind of windows update issue the first time around, I resolved that and it seems to be going alright at the moment.

That sounds like a driver error, to me...

I have audio drivers that don't play nicely with some games, and give a BSOD randomly between 3 seconds and 3 hours. I've tried the newest drivers AND legacy drivers, and neither work.

Could be you have something like that, but even worse.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Fantastic information to have. I noticed I had some random ass audio drivers when I reinstalled windows the first time, rose an eyebrow but I do believe I have the gigabyte suggested drivers. If I start getting problems again, I'll look there first.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
You know, now that I think about it. Windows installed an HP audio driver that added some realtek high definition audio...and that may have been what was causing my issue. I never reinstalled it and the hard stops are still non existent. We may have our answer, gentlemen.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Computer just froze up. Not sure if it's related to the original issue, but figured I'd mention it. Looked at the event log and the only event recorded happened about 27 minutes before the freeze.

Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000043

Doesn't list what the session was :S

I'm by no means an expert on how to work the event viewer, if there's a better way to provide information, please feel free to tell me how.

I was watching a youtube video at the time of the freeze, the video completely stopped, the computer became unresponsive and I had to manually power down the computer by compressing the power button.

Further information : The computer works fine in normal mode, boots without issue. However, I notice that my speakers are no longer working. Could be something to do with the audio drivers afformentioned ?

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Left the system running last night, apparently it rebooted sometime while I was asleep. Event viewer shows 3 critical errors, but they're the same as before. The prior shutdown was unexpected etc etc.

Same error as prior also showed up, retried the listed microsoft fix. Not sure if the shut downs were freezes or hard stops, will keep this post updated.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
When it freezes, it stays frozen until I manually power it down. Other times it simply powers down ( not shut down ). After being idle for a moment after the hard stop it will automatically power it's self back on, if that's any indication of something.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Gave it a shot, we'll see what happens. Do you think some minor error could cause windows to constantly reboot ? I noticed most, if not all, of the errors I find in my event viewer are listed as minor or inconsequential by windows ( on their site. )

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Pretty much played guild wars 2 all day, non stop without an issue. I noted my processor temps were a little higher than average, peaking at 60 C at one point, received no error at that time.