Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 7870 or GTX 670 on GIGABYTE P55-USB3 motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2012 8:19:56 PM

Hi everyone, this is the first time I am posting on Tom's hardware after reading a lot I find everyone that answers really helpful.

So to answer most of the questions in the *How to Ask for Advice about Choosing a New GPU* template:

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I want to run GW2 smoothly on the highest possible appearance setting
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I have a GIGABYTE GF GT240 and a FORTRON resource BLACK POWER 550W power supply
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have a GIGABYTE P55-USB3 motherboard, Intel Core i7-860 Quad Core with 8192MB DDR3 memory
OVERCLOCKING: no
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

From what I have read I know that PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible and doesn't actually have a performance drop if plugged into my mobo with PCIe 2.0. I am not looking to just upgrade to the best GPU there is if I don't have to as I want the biggest bang for my buck but if the recommendations are there I can justify anywhere between $300-$500 for the upgrade.

Based on the article "Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2012", between $275 To $400 the recommendation is the Radeon HD 7870, will the rest of my computer be able to deal with this upgrade? or does anyone recommend that I just go straight to the GTX 670 which is the recommended card in the next price bracket?

Any technical advice on possible bottle necks in my system would be appreciated.

Thank you Tom's Hardware community :) 
a c 539 U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 10:01:10 PM

If you can afford $400 for the GTX 670, its a high-end card vs the 7870, which is a mid-range card. The 670 will be about 20% faster. The GTX 670 is also coming with a free copy of Borderlands 2 these days. Choosing Nvidia over AMD also means PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA, and overall better drivers and better game compatibility.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX...
September 3, 2012 10:22:14 PM

Thank you for your input, its much appreciated! :)  I guess I will go with Nvidia as I did not know they had PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA over AMD :D 
a c 539 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 12:25:31 AM

tanoooki said:
Thank you for your input, its much appreciated! :)  I guess I will go with Nvidia as I did not know they had PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA over AMD :D 

Enjoy the free Borderlands 2 game and crank up the PhysX.

!