Solved

Upgrading graphic card- old computer

One of my computers is a Sony PCV RZ56G(3200). Will I gain anything by upgrading to a newer card, if so, would you have any recommendations for compatibility?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading graphic card computer
  1. Well, it depends. You don't really need a video card if you just use your computer for surfing the internet and whatnot.

If you want to game or do professional work, then a video card would be in order.

What are the specifications of the computer and what is your budget?
  2. Deemo13 said:
    Well, it depends. You don't really need a video card if you just use your computer for surfing the internet and whatnot.

If you want to game or do professional work, then a video card would be in order.

What are the specifications of the computer and what is your budget?

Thanks Deemo13

It is a Pentium(R) 4 CPU, 3.4GHz
    2GB of RAM

Radeon 9600 XT AGP (0x4152)
    Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Memory- 128 MB
    Bios Info: BK-ATI VER008.015.051.001

I would like to improve video editing on this computer. I looked into buying a new one but for a time being I can't effort the machine good enough for avchd editting. Right now the Vaio is really slow, maybe with some improvement I can give it a little boost.
  3. Best answer
    lestop9 said:
    One of my computers is a Sony PCV RZ56G(3200). Will I gain anything by upgrading to a newer card, if so, would you have any recommendations for compatibility?

Best I can do given that you are using AGP:

http://www.topsecretdeals.net/his-iceq-radeon-hd-4670-h467qs1gha-video-card/

Dumping 100$ into an 8 year old PC is not what I would do... But if you must.
  4. austing said:
    Best I can do given that you are using AGP:

http://www.topsecretdeals.net/his-iceq-radeon-hd-4670-h467qs1gha-video-card/

Dumping 100$ into an 8 year old PC is not what I would do... But if you must.

Thanks for the suggestion austing
    Do you suppose a DDR2 card with 512 memory could visibly speed up the process. Those are half the price of radeon-hd-4670
  5. lestop9 said:
    Thanks for the suggestion austing
    Do you suppose a DDR2 card with 512 memory could visibly speed up the process. Those are half the price of radeon-hd-4670

Its the last/best AGP card made before PCI-e came out.
  6. austing said:
    Its the last/best AGP card made before PCI-e came out.

Will the CPU handle the card well?
  7. lestop9 said:
    Will the CPU handle the card well?

A P4 @ 3.2Ghz? Yea, it will be fine.
  8. austing said:
    A P4 @ 3.2Ghz? Yea, it will be fine.

Thanks,
    I have one last question.
    The power supply is 350 W
    Made by Delta Electronics
    Will this be enough for a new configuration?
  9. Best answer selected by lestop9.
  10. lestop9 said:
    Thanks,
    I have one last question.
    The power supply is 350 W
    Made by Delta Electronics
    Will this be enough for a new configuration?

A P4 and 1 graphics card? yea.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Sony Computer Computers Graphics