  • Infrared
Last response: in Brands
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 7:21:20 PM

I have just got a Nokia 6600, and I have a laptop with an infrared port.
Trouble is there doesn't seem to be much software/documentation on the
laptop about it. Anyone know of any software, free or otherwise, that will
allow me to utilise the built-in infrared port on the laptop to send files
(games, music, apps, pics, ringtones, etc) to my 6600 smartphone?

Thanks in advance.

More about : infrared question

November 17, 2004 8:43:50 PM

"Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just got a Nokia 6600, and I have a laptop with an infrared port.
> Trouble is there doesn't seem to be much software/documentation on the
> laptop about it. Anyone know of any software, free or otherwise, that
will
> allow me to utilise the built-in infrared port on the laptop to send files
> (games, music, apps, pics, ringtones, etc) to my 6600 smartphone?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you've got a recent Windows OS on the PC (Win2000 or XP)
It should have built in IR support.
Try turning the your phones IR receive on, then aiming the phone IR port at
the PCs one.

If nothing happens, you might have to go into Windows Add/Remove Windows
components and add the IR support, but normally (IME) it is installed by
default if the PC has an IR port.

Good luck,

Chris.

--
Please remove shoes to reply

But what ... is it good for?
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 10:11:14 PM

ChrisM wrote:
> "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have just got a Nokia 6600, and I have a laptop with an infrared
>> port. Trouble is there doesn't seem to be much
>> software/documentation on the laptop about it. Anyone know of any
>> software, free or otherwise, that will allow me to utilise the
>> built-in infrared port on the laptop to send files (games, music,
>> apps, pics, ringtones, etc) to my 6600 smartphone?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> If you've got a recent Windows OS on the PC (Win2000 or XP)
> It should have built in IR support.
> Try turning the your phones IR receive on, then aiming the phone IR
> port at the PCs one.
>
> If nothing happens, you might have to go into Windows Add/Remove
> Windows components and add the IR support, but normally (IME) it is
> installed by default if the PC has an IR port.

Ok, if that was the case, what software would I use to send, say, a jpeg or
..mid file to my phone?
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 10:45:59 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:11:14 -0000, "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk>
wrote:

>ChrisM wrote:
>> "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I have just got a Nokia 6600, and I have a laptop with an infrared
>>> port. Trouble is there doesn't seem to be much
>>> software/documentation on the laptop about it. Anyone know of any
>>> software, free or otherwise, that will allow me to utilise the
>>> built-in infrared port on the laptop to send files (games, music,
>>> apps, pics, ringtones, etc) to my 6600 smartphone?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> If you've got a recent Windows OS on the PC (Win2000 or XP)
>> It should have built in IR support.
>> Try turning the your phones IR receive on, then aiming the phone IR
>> port at the PCs one.
>>
>> If nothing happens, you might have to go into Windows Add/Remove
>> Windows components and add the IR support, but normally (IME) it is
>> installed by default if the PC has an IR port.
>
>Ok, if that was the case, what software would I use to send, say, a jpeg or
>.mid file to my phone?

you would right click on the file and select 'send via ir'

Chris P Bacon
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 10:53:15 PM

Chris P Bacon wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:11:14 -0000, "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> ChrisM wrote:
>>> "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> If you've got a recent Windows OS on the PC (Win2000 or XP)
>>> It should have built in IR support.
>>> Try turning the your phones IR receive on, then aiming the phone IR
>>> port at the PCs one.
>>>
>>> If nothing happens, you might have to go into Windows Add/Remove
>>> Windows components and add the IR support, but normally (IME) it is
>>> installed by default if the PC has an IR port.
>>
>> Ok, if that was the case, what software would I use to send, say, a
>> jpeg or .mid file to my phone?
>>
> you would right click on the file and select 'send via ir'

Ahh, this is where the problem is then - my right-click menu doesn't have
that option, but my laptop definetely has a built-in IR port, and the
Control Panel has an IR icon.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 11:14:24 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:53:15 -0000, "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk>
wrote:

>Chris P Bacon wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:11:14 -0000, "Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Ok, if that was the case, what software would I use to send, say, a
>>> jpeg or .mid file to my phone?
>>>
>> you would right click on the file and select 'send via ir'
>>

>Ahh, this is where the problem is then - my right-click menu doesn't have
>that option, but my laptop definetely has a built-in IR port, and the
>Control Panel has an IR icon.

ususally I think that the send to option is only there when there is
an active ir connection. I could check but have left my laptop at work
but will have a look for you tomorrow. If IR is on and active on your
laptop the OS should ask for drivers etc when you bring the 6600 near
by with its IR on as well.

Chris P Bacon
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 9:54:14 PM

"Chris P Bacon" <andy.haigh@XbreatheX.com> wrote in message

garb snipped.

Why not go to Nokia.com and download the PC Suite for your model of phone.
As previously stated, windows will detect your phone automatically.
PC Suite will do the same.

Barry
www.taximania.net

---